Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does CX let J seats fly empty rather than let an AM upgrade clear

Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat

Trying to decide to pay the E to R fare difference on my flight on 1/26... AM says one of 2 flights is available for upgrade now, but the long haul isn't. CX884 Has
F2 A2 J5 C5 D5 I5 W2 R1 E1 Y9 B9 H8 K6 M2 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0

My question is would CX let seats fly empty rather than upgrading an AM member?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:18 pm

Yes. CX does not routinely fill the premium cabins with upgrades and/or straight redemptions.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Yes. CX does not routinely fill the premium cabins with upgrades and/or straight redemptions.

ouch...that would suck. $700 for R fare upgrade just to gamble on an upgrade... so there is no upgrade list like AA at the gate.for people using SWU's on longhauls, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kar don
ouch...that would suck. $700 for R fare upgrade just to gamble on an upgrade... so there is no upgrade list like AA at the gate.for people using SWU's on longhauls, etc.
instant upgrade awards
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by kaka

instant upgrade awards
But the poster won't find out until they arrive at the airport right?

Basic answer is no.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
I’ve never not cleared an instant upgrade at airport. In dozens of requests. There is an exceptionally high chance of clearing on the day.
kaka, kar don and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
I’ve never not cleared an instant upgrade at airport. In dozens of requests. There is an exceptionally high chance of clearing on the day.
But you still need to be booked in the required subclass to be eligible for upgrade.
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Of course.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxc

But you still need to be booked in the required subclass to be eligible for upgrade.
then pay up?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
My question is would CX let seats fly empty rather than upgrading an AM member?
Straight redemption yes

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29872510-post3.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29879174-post18.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30575148-post737.html

I don't buy R and hope to upgrade. Maybe your changes of getting early confirmation are better there.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
You can try calling MPC and ask if upgrade award is available before rebooking to R class. You would probably get the standard 'Sorry, but no' answer but worth a shot. Quite a few seats left open in J, if that holds until departure date, I think instant upgrade would get confirmed.

According to EF today for CX884 1/26 - F2 A2 J9 C8 D0 I0 W5 R4 E4 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M6 L3 V0 S0 N0 Q0
Some new PE seats added from when you last posted. Maybe attempt to oversell as PE seatmap only shows 2 blocked seats nothing else open.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Well CX opened some U inventory and I was able to upgrade. AM agent nicely waited on hold for me to call CX.
kaka and Jane's Addiction like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:53 am

Hi everyone, can someone explain what all the letters stand for or why there are so many. I know F and A are first and what all the other letters mean in terms of class of travel, but what's the reason of having so many letters? I know that there are 10 different economy letters but only 3 different Marco Polo point or Asia Miles groups. Does each letter just mean how much you pay, as in when enough seats are sold the price increases to the next letter-corresponding price? Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by cx4ever
Hi everyone, can someone explain what all the letters stand for or why there are so many. I know F and A are first and what all the other letters mean in terms of class of travel, but what's the reason of having so many letters? I know that there are 10 different economy letters but only 3 different Marco Polo point or Asia Miles groups. Does each letter just mean how much you pay, as in when enough seats are sold the price increases to the next letter-corresponding price? Thanks!
You're on the right track. The letters stand for the fare class available for purchase. The number shows how many seats are available within that class with 9 (typically) being the highest displayed even though there may be more that that available.

First F2 A2
Biz JJ9 C8 D0 I0
PE W5 R4 E4
Y Y9 B9 H9 K9 M6 L3 V0 S0 N0 Q0
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by percysmith
(snipped)

I don't buy R and hope to upgrade. Maybe your changes of getting early confirmation are better there.
Would you mind elaborating on your rational for this advice of not purchasing R? I selected it for my upcoming trip over E in hopes that if my aircraft is swapped with one that doesn't have PE, I'd be on the short list to either be op-up to J as a OWE or at least get a better fare class if they re-issue my ticket as they did recently.

Last time I was on E fare and CX re-issued my ticket as L fare... ugh!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.