Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Earliest check-in time at HKG and booking class questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earliest check-in time at HKG and booking class questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The MTA was Boston's transit agency (Kingston Trio: The Man Who Never Returned) and is now the name for New York City's agency. Neither will be a lot of help. Try the HK MTR for help. You can go to an MTR service desk to add the fare for Kowloon check-in and HK train departure. It's not that unusual (the other way around doesn't matter because it's slightly cheaper as long as you paid for HK-Airport and leave at Kowloon).
I guess my expectation was that having and AE ticket "just doesn't matter" since the one I tend to get is the one that has 3 (4?) days of unlimited use of the MTA system. Maybe that's why I've not been asked to add a fare to my card each time. Either I'm recycling it at the airport when I return or adding fare to it when my stay is beyond the FOC days to use the MTA within the 3 (4?) day period.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by SuloL
In-town check-in is available at Hong Kong and Kowloon Airport Express Stations. Available from the day before up to 90 mins until departure. More info here: MTR > Privileges and Complimentary Services You need an Airport Express train ticket to access the check-in area. Not all airlines participate, but CX/KA (and IME most major ones) do.
Thank you for this - flying SWISS to HKG in July and this facility will be really handy.

Always great tips to be foudn on FT; I only stopped by to gen up on what to expect from my CX flight tomorrow
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Thank you for this - flying SWISS to HKG in July and this facility will be really handy.

Always great tips to be foudn on FT; I only stopped by to gen up on what to expect from my CX flight tomorrow
I agree, there's so much to learn from this community. I just booked my flight with CX to HKG. I can't wait to go back. Every time I go back to HKG, it seems different and that's a good thing!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I guess my expectation was that having and AE ticket "just doesn't matter" since the one I tend to get is the one that has 3 (4?) days of unlimited use of the MTA system. Maybe that's why I've not been asked to add a fare to my card each time. Either I'm recycling it at the airport when I return or adding fare to it when my stay is beyond the FOC days to use the MTA within the 3 (4?) day period.
The AE ticket with 3+ days of MTR is a regular Octopus Card as well. Rather than recycle it why not add enough value before leaving so it will work on arrival (HK$100 or $110) on the next trip? Then during that trip add money to it for MTR and 7-11 use and such, and enough for the trip back from either HK or Kowloon station. Turing it back in seems non productive if you plan to return at all. Unless you travel a lot on the MTR the tourist pass costs more than the round trip on AE plus normal MTR use.

And MTA = 1960's Boston and current New York and MTR = Hong Kong.
The MTR Corporation was established in 1975 as the Mass Transit Railway Corporation
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The AE ticket with 3+ days of MTR is a regular Octopus Card as well. Rather than recycle it why not add enough value before leaving so it will work on arrival (HK$100 or $110) on the next trip? Then during that trip add money to it for MTR and 7-11 use and such, and enough for the trip back from either HK or Kowloon station. Turing it back in seems non productive if you plan to return at all. Unless you travel a lot on the MTR the tourist pass costs more than the round trip on AE plus normal MTR use.

And MTA = 1960's Boston and current New York and MTR = Hong Kong.
The MTR Corporation was established in 1975 as the Mass Transit Railway Corporation
Interesting tips/info... I usually do keep the card until I return. When I ask to add fare to it for AE, the agents always tell me it's better to turn it in (HK$50 refund) is given then I purchase new RT AE 3-day MTA pass. When I'm there beyond 3 days, I just add more fare on it. I've been told that I need to keep that card as it's my AE return. That's why I actually only "recycle" it with AE and not in the bin I see others tossing their cards in upon exiting AE at HKIA.

ps. I'll actually have to "do the math" to see which option better suits me. It always seems (to me) that having the 3 days of unlimited use of the MTA, I'm "all over the place" when I have free time from work obligations. I often just find myself riding a train to the end of the line and exploring the area there. Or I get off at some random stop, walk around from that stop to maybe maybe 2-3 stops away before returning to MTA.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:49 pm Reason: added PS details.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Interesting tips/info... I usually do keep the card until I return. When I ask to add fare to it for AE, the agents always tell me it's better to turn it in (HK$50 refund) is given then I purchase new RT AE 3-day MTA pass. When I'm there beyond 3 days, I just add more fare on it. I've been told that I need to keep that card as it's my AE return. That's why I actually only "recycle" it with AE and not in the bin I see others tossing their cards in upon exiting AE at HKIA.

ps. I'll actually have to "do the math" to see which option better suits me. It always seems (to me) that having the 3 days of unlimited use of the MTA, I'm "all over the place" when I have free time from work obligations. I often just find myself riding a train to the end of the line and exploring the area there. Or I get off at some random stop, walk around from that stop to maybe maybe 2-3 stops away before returning to MTA.
250/350 with 1 or 2 way AEx. $50 deposit.
so it would be 125hkd (1way) or 165 (2way) residual credit for you to break even if one buy the AEx ticket on klook (which is 75/135 respectively for the most expensive 1way/2way) for 3 consecutive days.
that's some 10-15 (OW) trips across the harbour, or more shorter trips (cheapest is just under 5hkd) , or less longer trips (the most extreme case should be chai wan to disneyland/tung chung/shatin race course/tuen mun - yuen long corridor at 26-30hkd each*, so 3-5 OW trips).
so if you're not planning to go to those * stations, you are probably still looking at taking 7-8 long/cross harbour trips at the minimum plus a few short trips.
If you have planned so that you will not cross the harbour and will not go to the far places (or that you know you will take a lot of busses) then the pass is a waste of time. However, if you're already stayin at Chai Wan (There's a youth hostel, just saying) and you're planning to go to the end of every metro line....

I'd say if you're staying on HK Island and are planning to cross the harbour every day, or staying in kowloon and keep traveling to the far end, then feel free to get the pass - it would save you the stress anyways. If all your travels will be around the city, dont bother. (remember having long trips also mean it will take you more time to get back)
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:10 pm

Interesting tips/info... I usually do keep the card until I return. When I ask to add fare to it for AE, the agents always tell me it's better to turn it in (HK$50 refund)

ps. I'll actually have to "do the math" to see which option better suits me. It always seems (to me) that having the 3 days of unlimited use of the MTA, I'm "all over the place"
HK$50 is peanuts and not worth the effort involved in having to either queue at the AE counter or find the machine to buy a new card. Put enough on it so when you leave it's loaded for your return. You can add money to it at 7-11 so there won't be any agents to tell you anything is better since their advice sounds pretty duff.

The analysis above proves that other than for whirling dervishes or trainophiles the "deal" of unlimited travel is almost impossible to accomplish.

And crossing the harbour is more fun for even less than peanuts on the ferry than the MTR is.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:53 pm

Thanks @kaka and @ricktoronto.

Much appreciate you both "doing the math" for me and making me have my moment of seeing the light. I'll be getting my AE and Octopus card elsewhere now.

Cheers!!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but for class Q, am I better off crediting to BA or AC? I am currently trying to attain status with Ariana, but I don’t recalled seeing that as an option. I did recalled seeing AC as an option.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:23 pm

I think AC codeshares on a few CX flights and you'd probably need to be booked on an AC flight operated by CX. AC is Star Alliance and CX is Oneworld so I think it depends on if you're ticketed on an AC codeshare or CX ticket itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.