Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

No "Lai See" red packet to members this chinese new year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No "Lai See" red packet to members this chinese new year?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boybi
What is lai see? What’s inside those boxes/envelopes?
they are red envelopes, also known colloquially as hongbaos or ang paus, that mainly ethnically Chinese people use to give money during Chinese New Year.

as far as i know, these are used by married people to give to their younger or unmarried relatives
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: CX Gold
So what’s inside the CX lai see?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by boybi
So what’s inside the CX lai see?
it’s empty, you can use it to give money to other people
clubeurope and boybi like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Got them today as well in the mail.

While it's nice and pretty (and I will be using them), it seems like a waste of paper to me - especially the box which is big (and thus requiring a big mailing envelope.

To reduce costs and wastage, perhaps CX can email us to ask if we wish to opt in / opt out next year?
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Do they only mail it to DMs?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Got them today as well in the mail.

While it's nice and pretty (and I will be using them), it seems like a waste of paper to me - especially the box which is big (and thus requiring a big mailing envelope.

To reduce costs and wastage, perhaps CX can email us to ask if we wish to opt in / opt out next year?
I actually thought they only made it available for pick up at lounges or check in counters...its a nice gesture I guess but must a agree the whole thing seems wasteful. a simple envelope would have sufficed.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
A plain envelope is certainly not an acceptable way to offer 'Lai See' in Hong Kong or China.
' In Chinese and other East Asian and Southeast Asian societies, a red envelope, red packet, lě xě (Vietnamese), lai see (Cantonese), ng-pau (Hokkien) or hóngbāo (Mandarin) is a monetary gift which is given during holidays or special occasions such as weddings, graduation or the birth of a baby.'

I understand that they are sent to diamond and above members. They arrived beautifully presented and will be very useful to our family.
An appreciated and useful gesture for most of us in Hong Kong.
eric0429 and fairhsa like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:15 am

So actually in the lounge, is it also only available to DM or to anyone who has access to the lounge?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
A plain envelope is certainly not an acceptable way to offer 'Lai See' in Hong Kong or China.
' In Chinese and other East Asian and Southeast Asian societies, a red envelope, red packet, lě xě (Vietnamese), lai see (Cantonese), ng-pau (Hokkien) or hóngbāo (Mandarin) is a monetary gift which is given during holidays or special occasions such as weddings, graduation or the birth of a baby.'

I understand that they are sent to diamond and above members. They arrived beautifully presented and will be very useful to our family.
I think FlyPointyEnd meant this:
CX could just put the Lai See in a plain envelope, instead of the big red box. The red box is pretty wasteful and will end up in the trash.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I didn't get one, but that was my first thought on seeing the photos above - what a huge environmental cost! (The whole concept of Lai See envelopes is that too, but the packaging compounds the problem.)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
I think FlyPointyEnd meant this:
CX could just put the Lai See in a plain envelope, instead of the big red box. The red box is pretty wasteful and will end up in the trash.
Originally Posted by oldchinahand

I do understand the concept being of Chinese descent, like what @Psychiatrist pointed out, its the packaging that I feel could be done in a more simple manner since it will eventually end up in the trash anyway. A simple envelope or a folder would have sufficed.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by christep
I didn't get one, but that was my first thought on seeing the photos above - what a huge environmental cost! (The whole concept of Lai See envelopes is that too, but the packaging compounds the problem.)
At least now the packets (mostly) are reusable. Sometimes get the odd one with a sticker or glue. I save any I receive to use the following year, assuming they don't have that year's animal on them (not keeping them for 12 years!).
flubber and kaka like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I do understand the concept being of Chinese descent, like what @Psychiatrist pointed out, its the packaging that I feel could be done in a more simple manner since it will eventually end up in the trash anyway. A simple envelope or a folder would have sufficed.
you never know what your package has to go through, even if the envelop is waterproof it may still go through heavy knocks - taking the laisee envelopes out of commission totally (and defeat their primary purpose of the mail.

if the environment is to worry about, should they source alcohol/drinks of all formats in industrial pack and reuse them regardless of worthiness?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
A few envelopes are handed out once a year. Most of the people on this thread fly so often that this likely to be least of their worries in an environmental sense.
kaka, Frayed_Yak, HaikalS and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
1) ive gotten them just today at the F wing lounge (they kept it in the back already). my gf who is flying a few hours after me got a few boxes - at this point i think its as close to junk as it can be since i doubt cx would keep it for a year
2) my moms gotten them in the J lounge 3 days ago

3) the design - its a play on the traditional new year greetings in cantonese. changing 1 word (of the 4) into the name of a food ingredient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.