Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Waitlist confirmed on CX flight, MPC calls, says have to issue way before deadline??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist confirmed on CX flight, MPC calls, says have to issue way before deadline??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium, United 1K

So I booked a few redemption bookings recently for flights near CNY. One of my HKG to BKK flight cleared but I wanted to hold off on redeeming until the return leg clears. After this happens, MPC has been calling me but I kept missing their calls, until today I finally decided to call back. I got a notification (and also says on the CX website) that I have to issue the ticket before 27th Jan which is fine, I was willing to wait to closer to that date before making a decision. However, the guy on the phone says that 'no the deadline is not 27th, you should issue your ticket now, or we will release your tickets back to the public very soon. I rejected this idea as it doesn't make sense since i've been given an actual deadline to decide.

My question is, can they do this??? It clearly states I have to issue my ticket before 27th Jan, can they release it back before that date comes up??
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Even as DM, so far for redemption booking the maximum ticketing deadline I have since the last leg is cleared were 3 days, with auto ticket issue instruction set on day 2. I never have been given such a long ticketing period for redemption booking

My understanding is that 27 Jan should be the waitlist deadline but not how long they will keep your confirmed redemption seat. You can keep on waiting with another confirmed seat remains confirmed but that newly released seat will be released back to the pool for others to redeem... After all it's CNY peak if you decided that you don't want the seat please let it back to the pool for others to redeem
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sscywong
Even as DM, so far for redemption booking the maximum ticketing deadline I have since the last leg is cleared were 3 days, with auto ticket issue instruction set on day 2. I never have been given such a long ticketing period for redemption booking

My understanding is that 27 Jan should be the waitlist deadline but not how long they will keep your confirmed redemption seat. You can keep on waiting with another confirmed seat remains confirmed but that newly released seat will be released back to the pool for others to redeem... After all it's CNY peak if you decided that you don't want the seat please let it back to the pool for others to redeem
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know this. Of course I wouldn't be holding off for no reason, but was hoping to wait for the round trip to clear first before claiming both at the same time. If that's the case, I'll redeem one now as I don't want to waste the CNY redemption.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
I'm actually holding several redemptions later in the year with 1st leg on waitlist and 2nd leg cleared, and my ticket deadlines are typically set a month away. The only difference I can see is you cleared the waitlist for the one leg while mine was available from the start - didn't know that matters.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

So how exactly do you find out the deadline for issuing ticket once confirmed if it's not the waitlist deadline?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:08 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The rule for issuing award tickets is that if the award is available you need to issue it straight away (sometimes a few grace days).

However if if you are waitlisting a ticket and it clears via the system it will put as default that the ticket needs to be issued 10 days before departure. But then someone will try and call you every day to get you to issue the ticket. And once they contact you they will change the issue deadline to a few days later.

It seems that there some kind of system limitation so every auto cleared waitlist has this issuing deadline way into the future. So CX has to throw people at the problem - it’s no wonder they still take time to win.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sxc
The rule for issuing award tickets is that if the award is available you need to issue it straight away (sometimes a few grace days).

However if if you are waitlisting a ticket and it clears via the system it will put as default that the ticket needs to be issued 10 days before departure. But then someone will try and call you every day to get you to issue the ticket. And once they contact you they will change the issue deadline to a few days later.

It seems that there some kind of system limitation so every auto cleared waitlist has this issuing deadline way into the future. So CX has to throw people at the problem - it’s no wonder they still take time to win.
What if you just don't pick up (before the original deadline)?

Also, in my case of waitlisting with 1 leg confirmed and the other waitlisted, do you know how many times will they extend the ticketing deadline? My deadline is a month away and itinerary is 6 months from now.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
What if you just don't pick up (before the original deadline)?
No idea, but once when I was overseas they kept calling me (I knew what it was about). Eventually I relented and picked up and told them I was travelling and rudely told them I would deal with it when I was back in HK in two weeks, and so they left it and didn't change the ticketing deadline.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I believe the ticketing deadline is for the waitlist is cleared...I had a similar experience before, once the waitlist clears you need to have it ticketed.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by sxc
No idea, but once when I was overseas they kept calling me (I knew what it was about). Eventually I relented and picked up and told them I was travelling and rudely told them I would deal with it when I was back in HK in two weeks, and so they left it and didn't change the ticketing deadline.
hehe- done the same here!
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
If you do not answer their phone calls, or tell the agents to shut up, system will generate an email to shorten your waitlist to 7 or 10 days.
You will get notified by e-mails about this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Please refer to this. I still have good chances if you talk to them nicely
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30652424-post40.html
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Did you waitlist this as several individual one-way reservations?

If so, then that would explain the calls.

if you do it as roundtrip, then they will basically leave you alone until both (all) legs clear.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: Marco Polo
From my call with MPC recently, they will ask you to issue a confirmed one-way ticket despite the other inbound/outbound ticket is still on waitlist since the number of AM required is now half of round trip AM after the AM change. But you can nicely ask them to give you more time, it would however not be as long as the original deadline.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC, AsiaMiles
Anybody know what number they call on so i know what calls to screen? Is it a Hong Kong number?

Many thanks!

Kayleigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.