Asia Miles bogus upgrade waitlist

Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Asia Miles bogus upgrade waitlist

My flight CX885 LAX to HKG upgrade was unavailable upon booking so they said to add to waitlist and once it opened up id be automatically confirmed. Other agents then said oh you should keep calling instead of waitlisting. So I waitlisted and kept checking EF and saw several J seats open. Called today to check and the agent said you are on waitlist and will be SMS notification when available. After I asked her to check other dates. She said oh actually your flight has upgrades available and processed the upgrade. What the heck? What is the point of a waitlist then?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kar don
My flight CX885 LAX to HKG upgrade was unavailable upon booking so they said to add to waitlist and once it opened up id be automatically confirmed. Other agents then said oh you should keep calling instead of waitlisting. So I waitlisted and kept checking EF and saw several J seats open. Called today to check and the agent said you are on waitlist and will be SMS notification when available. After I asked her to check other dates. She said oh actually your flight has upgrades available and processed the upgrade. What the heck? What is the point of a waitlist then?
are you sure it just wasn't people with higher elite status? CX has three levels of waiting list..."highest priority", "high priority" (sometimes just called "priority") and "normal priority" (sometimes just called "normal" or "standard" waitlist). Diamonds have highest priority, while Golds get high priority. I'm not sure about Silvers. But other OW status doesn't count, no matter what they tell you on the phone.

I'm not saying you're wrong, indeed many years ago I had the waitlist fail on me twice in short order. How did I know? Because I saw F seats I was waitlisting for on the British Airways website. But I haven't seen this situation in years. And I think it would be hard to figure out unless you were on the highest priority waiting list.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Not sure I follow? She checked dates around my flight only to see my flight available for an upgrade. If she saw the upgrade available on my flight how would my position on waitlist matter?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My perception is that waitlists have never automatically cleared. Being on a waitlist is essentially an "expression of interest". To make the upgrade happen you need to keep calling and asking. Diamonds excepted.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
My perception is that waitlists have never automatically cleared. Being on a waitlist is essentially an "expression of interest". To make the upgrade happen you need to keep calling and asking. Diamonds excepted.
yes that is spot on. Expression of interest, thats amazing haha.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:41 am

yes that is spot on. Expression of interest, thats amazing haha.
I've probably had 6-7 waitlist clear in the last 12 months. 1-2 failed. Granted I am DM. But the system has worked quite well for me recently and I'd be really surprised if anyone below DM doesn't get a real waiting list. I just don't see the point in them designing a system that fails at what it is supposed to do for everyone else, but succeeds for DMs.

My point about the agent is to say, perhaps it was a DM or two who were cleared ahead of you. And that's why your clearance didn't come through.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The OP's point is that when he called then upgrades were available to him. That being so if the "waitlist" is to have any meaning then it should have cleared already since he was on the waitlist. It hadn't cleared until he called. It seems that the waitlist is more or less meaningless for sub-Diamonds.

Or maybe "calling now" has higher priority than "being on the waitlist from a call weeks/months ago"?
kar don likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:58 am

The OP's point is that when he called then upgrades were available to him. That being so if the "waitlist" is to have any meaning then it should have cleared already since he was on the waitlist. It hadn't cleared until he called. It seems that the waitlist is more or less meaningless for sub-Diamonds.

Or maybe "calling now" has higher priority than "being on the waitlist from a call weeks/months ago"?
Folks, I'm sorry I didn't understand the OPs meaning until now. Upon further reading, I agree this doesn't make sense. Foolish on CXs part .Sorry about the confusion!
kar don likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think there’s always been a delay between availability and the sweep to clear the wait lists. It’s annoying and you would have thought they would have fixed this by now.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
I think theres always been a delay between availability and the sweep to clear the wait lists. Its annoying and you would have thought they would have fixed this by now.
I agree with this.

I have had waitlist automatically cleared before (as SL or GO), so I wouldn't go completely saying that the waitlist never automatically clears.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by etkuo
I have had waitlist automatically cleared before (as SL or GO), so I wouldn't go completely saying that the waitlist never automatically clears.
Same here, and SL as of a few months ago.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
I think theres always been a delay between availability and the sweep to clear the wait lists. Its annoying and you would have thought they would have fixed this by now.
Well the delay would have sucked because I was only a day away from the deadline for waitlist.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:47 am

I have read somewhere on these forums that the wait-list only clears once per day at a set time. If availability comes up in the meantime it is possible to call and book it, essentially jumping the wait-list line.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Well the delay would have sucked because I was only a day away from the deadline for waitlist.
I had a waitlist on an upgrade last December that got cleared automatically about 4 hours AFTER the deadline. I was given another day to ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sxc
Allegedly with the MPC change in June they also had a system upgrade that would fix that problem. I haven't redeemed since then so no DP to provide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.