Wiki Posts
Search

No alcohol - is this usual?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
No alcohol - is this usual?

Hi, I was on CX759 to SIN this morning. There was no alcohol being served, nor was there any wine list etc on the menu.

Not that I was planning to indulge (too early in the day for me), but is this standard practice?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: A3 G CZ S
Sounds weird
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:42 am

Breakfast menu has no wine list i think?
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
Hi, I was on CX759 to SIN this morning. There was no alcohol being served, nor was there any wine list etc on the menu.

Not that I was planning to indulge (too early in the day for me), but is this standard practice?
Normal for morning flights.
E55 and percysmith like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

The sweeping conclusion in the title....isn't necessarily correct, until the OP provides some more details. Since whether or not its weird depends on the details.

A) No alcohol being served proactively and none on menu? Typical for regional breakfast flights for some time. Nothing weird at all.

B) No alcohol on board, aka pax denied when asking for an alcoholic drink and/or crew specifically said no booze on board? Even for breakfast, that would be strange. Beer, a bottle of Champagne, and a few other things should be loaded, even for breakfast flights. Although the full bar isn't stocked nor a wine list.
narvik and windscar like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who have not memorized the schedule, this is the 09:00 service HKG-SIN.

OP - When you say "not being served" do you mean that no alcohol was affirmatively being offered or that it was not available?
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

I didn't see any being served, nor was there any reference on menus to alcohol.

I'm not picking fault, I just wanted to understand if this is normal procedure or not.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
For those who have not memorized the schedule, this is the 09:00 service HKG-SIN.
Thanks, if you look at my post you will see that I referenced the flight was to SIN.
jagmeets likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

I'm not picking fault, I just wanted to understand if this is normal procedure or not.
sounds like normal procedure for the regional breakfast.

if you ask there is booze, it's just not advertised on the menu or placed on the carts.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

There is worldwide (general) campaigning against alcohol abuse (because of health issues, not the religious side). One of the steps in that is "get the alcohol out of the display". Airlines do take their responsibility in that and do so in morning flights, as well as sometimes "close the tap" in the lounges until the afternoon.

Or so to say, for those having a (mental or physical) problem with the lack of alcohol in the morning, or even before the evening: You are the target of those campaigns, wake-up

Last edited by Cambo; Jan 13, 2019 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Which is fine, unless you've just flown in from the other side of the world and your body thinks it's evening!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Which is fine, unless you've just flown in from the other side of the world and your body thinks it's evening!
I agree with you, though both health and politics does require the airlines to do "something". Discriminating, let alone judge" about the factual body TZ of the customer would be a challenge to implement. As such, simply use the "local" clock.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cambo
There is worldwide (general) campaigning against alcohol abuse (because of health issues, not the religious side). One of the steps in that is "get the alcohol out of the display". Airlines do take their responsibility in that and do so in morning flights, as well as sometimes "close the tap" in the lounges until the afternoon.

Or so to say, for those having a (mental or physical) problem with the lack of alcohol in the morning, or even before the evening: You are the target of those campaigns, wake-up
I'm pretty certain that's not the reason why there's no alcohol on morning departures.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I'm pretty certain that's not the reason why there's no alcohol on morning departures.
You think about the money saved ?

Possing off customers is not that appreciated, as, for example, MH found out, when the religious police temporary managed to "convince" MH to stop serving alcoholic drinks on regional flights. Savings on alcohol does not compensate for having just one (J) customer going to the competition still serving alcohol. A health policy of limiting alcohol serving to "decent" hours is (in general) socially far more accepted.

Welcome In Europe, where health seems to be more important.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
You think about the money saved ?

Possing off customers is not that appreciated, as, for example, MH found out, when the religious police temporary managed to "convince" MH to stop serving alcoholic drinks on regional flights. Savings on alcohol does not compensate for having just one (J) customer going to the competition still serving alcohol. A health policy of limiting alcohol serving to "decent" hours is (in general) socially far more accepted.

Welcome In Europe, where health seems to be more important.
I'm 90% confident that it is to cost-cut. I think that is also why HKG-CTS is served breakfast instead of lunch even though the flight lands at 2:50pm
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.