Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No alcohol - is this usual?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Cambo
Possing off customers is not that appreciated, as, for example, MH found out, when the religious police temporary managed to "convince" MH to stop serving alcoholic drinks on regional flights.
MH’s regional booze elimination has much more to do with penny pinching rather than religion...
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC
There was alcohol loaded on my HKG - BKK flights in late December and early Jan. Both of these were early morning breakfast flights. And the inbound into BKK was the one that goes through to SIN. Just had to ask for it. No issue at all.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by SilverChris
MH’s regional booze elimination has much more to do with penny pinching rather than religion...
Sure, that was why the policy was implemented so consistently along the SH routes. Not.

If it would be penny-pinching, then the policy would be implemented consistently, be it a top management decision.

The inconsistently suggests, the aircraft loading with or without alcohol is internally, company wise, a disputed item and management does not have much control of that. Which is typically for something like a religion based decision by the people on different shifts, operationally in charge and chasing after their own gotchas.

If the inconsistency had been related to cleaning out existing stock, the alcohol availability would have died out gradually, which it didn't. From the same location, sometimes booze available, sometime not.

But, maybe you do have proof, this was (it's already canceled at MH) a penny-pinching action ?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
There was alcohol loaded on my HKG - BKK flights in late December and early Jan. Both of these were early morning breakfast flights. And the inbound into BKK was the one that goes through to SIN. Just had to ask for it. No issue at all.
I'm guessing it's both cost saving and that they assume that people flying morning flights don't want to drink alcohol
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:00 pm

Beer - Breakfast of Champions! (James Hunt's patch on his racing overalls)
prw555 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I'm guessing it's both cost saving and that they assume that people flying morning flights don't want to drink alcohol
It has little to do with cost saving. I don't remember CX, or any other airline, ever advertising wine/liquor on its regional breakfast menu. Never. But they have them loaded and you simply ask for it. I often jave a glass of champagne with my breakfast. And I have seen many pax connecting in HKGf from a different time zone requesting some alcohol.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
It has little to do with cost saving. I don't remember CX, or any other airline, ever advertising wine/liquor on its regional breakfast menu. Never. But they have them loaded and you simply ask for it. I often jave a glass of champagne with my breakfast. And I have seen many pax connecting in HKGf from a different time zone requesting some alcohol.
This has been my experience on several CX regional b'fast flights. It's neither on the cart nor on the menu. But it's on board, just ask for it.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by robbeck1
This has been my experience on several CX regional b'fast flights. It's neither on the cart nor on the menu. But it's on board, just ask for it.
+1

Flew on CX691 earlier this month and it was the same: No wine list on the menu, but when I asked the crew for champagne, they said "Of course!" and delivered it promptly. Did not check if they had any other libations loaded.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
sounds like normal procedure for the regional breakfast.

if you ask there is booze, it's just not advertised on the menu or placed on the carts.
I thought you have to be DM before they'd serve it (my data point was on Christmas Day 2016 when I saw a pax being served Champagne, and was greeted)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I thought you have to be DM before they'd serve it (my data point was on Christmas Day 2016 when I saw a pax being served Champagne, and was greeted)
Any J pax has the same right to get Santa
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
I wasn't or isn't DM and I was served.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by peasant
Beer - Breakfast of Champions! (James Hunt's patch on his racing overalls)
Sorry to interject some facts, but I think you'll find that James Hunt's patch said "SEX - Breakfast of Champions".

(Also probably forbidden on MH flights of course)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.