Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Downgrade -- No compensation after 5 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade -- No compensation after 5 months

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Numerous silvers and golds
Angry Involuntary Downgrade -- No compensation after 5 months

I'll keep this to the point. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Flying AA on a CX business class redemption. Flight was cancelled and I was re-accommodated coach (no business availability.)

Reached out to Asiamiles over 5 months ago to request the mileage difference. They have been resisting any compensation. First, they said they needed flight receipts -- which I provided. Then they said they needed proof of no comp. from AA -- which I provided. That was months ago -- still no credit. The customer service reps keep giving me a run-around -- saying that they need to hear something from AA first.

Any suggestions for how to proceed? (A higher level contact number maybe?) I am extremely frustrated -- feels like they are trying to wait me out.

Last edited by BOS777; Jan 11, 2019 at 11:46 am Reason: grammar swap
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BOS777 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by BOS777
I'll keep this to the point. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

Flying AA on a CX business class redemption. Flight was cancelled and I was re-accommodated coach (no business availability.)

Reached out to Asiamiles over 5 months ago to request the mileage difference. They have been resisting any compensation. First, they said they needed flight receipts -- which I provided. Then they said they needed proof of no comp. from AA -- which I provided. That was months ago -- still no credit. The customer service reps keep giving me a run-around -- saying that they need to hear from something AA first.

Any suggestions for how to proceed? (A higher level contact number maybe?) I am extremely frustrated -- feels like they are trying to wait me out.
What was the route?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

It actually happened twice in one r/t itinerary. Once CLT-PHX, another ORD-BOS.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
File a DOT complaint against CX. Under the COC and T&C of the program, you are due a refund of the fare difference (in miles).

Do not use the term "compensation" as none is due.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies, all! Filing a complain sounds like a reasonable next step. Often1, Is the DOT path one that you've seen yield results?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As I said, a DOT complaint is not the right next step. DOT will simply require LX to respond to the complaint, typically within 60 days.

You should initiate a formal chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). This is not a "complaint" but a specific request and the process is most often available online.

You can follow that with a DOT complaint (or do it roughly at the same time). But, if you are looking for your cash now, it's going to be the chargeback.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 11, 2019 at 4:07 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Often1
You should initiate a formal chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). This is not a "complaint" but a specific request and the process is most often available online.

A chargeback on a mileage reward isn't going to get the OP anything.

And it is CX, not LX that the OP is referring to.
nexusCFX and royng like this.

Last edited by sxc; Jan 11, 2019 at 5:45 pm Reason: Unnecessary personal comment.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Your issue is with AA, not CX.

CX paid AA for a first class seat (not business class). It was AA that downgraded you.
sscywong likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Was this a simple US domestic roundtrip, like ORD-BOS-ORD?
If so, you should be credited half the miles difference between a J and a Y ticket. Indeed, CX need to hear from AA as they paid AA for this ticket. The problem lies with AA not CX.

But if your ticket is more complicated like a return HKG-ORD-BOS in J, the question is more complicated and it is unclear how many miles should be credited for one US leg downgraded from J to Y. Again, this has to come from AA.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
File a DOT complaint against CX.
As I said, a DOT complaint is not the right next step.
???
jagmeets likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
???
I am just as confused
jagmeets likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.