Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Glass in congee and flies - Quality of Wing / Pier F restaurants...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glass in congee and flies - Quality of Wing / Pier F restaurants...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
Yeah, maybe DM's can get special guidance to be served there, would be wonderful, go there by chopper, etc
percysmith, thomas164 and Sozee like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by sxc
@Rivarix just curious what you liked in the QF lounge particularly?
Relative to Wing F? Almost everything.
  • Dining area: Wing F dining area is kinda depressing. I suspect the intention is to exude opulence but I've always found it to be somewhat cold and dark. Maybe if they make the light brighter ... I dunno. It's just not my thing. QF lounge is open/facing the terminal. Yes, it was noisier but was actually more relaxing.
  • À la carte: when i was at Wing F last week, menu items were mostly ok. Fancy but bland (at least the one I chose). À la carte at QF were better. No printed menu at QF lounge but if I understood the waiter correctly, they have daily special (or something like that?). This is somewhat OT but I don't get why my rice at Wing F and on board CX flights (more often than not) have crusts. I mean I kinda know why but I didn't encounter it when flying SQ, JL or NH. No such issue on QR flights either (though that's probably because they serve different grain/basmati rice?).
  • Trolley: QF lounge has trolley (i think in the dining section only) going around offering cha siu pao. Not sure if it is the same everyday but it was nice. Maybe they can improve it by upgrading it to a full dim sum trolley ...
  • Buffet - salad/main course: I didn't try but did take a look. Lots more traffic at QF buffet (so refill/restock was also more frequent ...). I don't know how frequent they restock at Wing F. Do they wait or replace the buffet at regular intervals? Now that I know the fly stuff is more than just a one-off ...
  • Buffet - dessert: it's a function of taste but I prefer the cheesecake at QF lounge vs. the opera and po tat at Wing F. I like po tat but Wing F po tat was just ok.
Two things I didn't try at QF lounge so can't be sure whether they are better.
  • Champagne/wine: I didn't try (I am not an alcoholi ... err ... alcohol aficionado) so not sure though I suspect Wing F being an F lounge should, in theory, be superior to QF lounge.
  • Washroom/shower: obviously there are cabanas at Wing F but in all these years, I've only used it once. Tried it and then move on. I never felt the need to go back and use it again and again and again as my transit/time at HKG are usually short. I had shower at Wing F before heading to QF lounge so can't say but I suspect a shower is a shower. As long as it is clean and water pressure is good, I'm good.
QF lounge was more crowded but still plenty of seats available. It's a function of time of visit and the fact that it's a J/F lounge.
kaka and G-CIVC like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
A few weeks ago, I used the QF lounge, though I wasn't that much impressed. It's OK, but I could not judge it better than the BA lounge at LHR (only a less busy).
completely agree.
The QF lounge is pretty ordinary, don't know what all the fuss is about.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Relative to Wing F? Almost everything.
  • Dining area: Wing F dining area is kinda depressing. I suspect the intention is to exude opulence but I've always found it to be somewhat cold and dark. Maybe if they make the light brighter ... I dunno. It's just not my thing. QF lounge is open/facing the terminal. Yes, it was noisier but was actually more relaxing.
  • À la carte: when i was at Wing F last week, menu items were mostly ok. Fancy but bland (at least the one I chose). À la carte at QF were better. No printed menu at QF lounge but if I understood the waiter correctly, they have daily special (or something like that?). This is somewhat OT but I don't get why my rice at Wing F and on board CX flights (more often than not) have crusts. I mean I kinda know why but I didn't encounter it when flying SQ, JL or NH. No such issue on QR flights either (though that's probably because they serve different grain/basmati rice?).
  • Trolley: QF lounge has trolley (i think in the dining section only) going around offering cha siu pao. Not sure if it is the same everyday but it was nice. Maybe they can improve it by upgrading it to a full dim sum trolley ...
  • Buffet - salad/main course: I didn't try but did take a look. Lots more traffic at QF buffet (so refill/restock was also more frequent ...). I don't know how frequent they restock at Wing F. Do they wait or replace the buffet at regular intervals? Now that I know the fly stuff is more than just a one-off ...
  • Buffet - dessert: it's a function of taste but I prefer the cheesecake at QF lounge vs. the opera and po tat at Wing F. I like po tat but Wing F po tat was just ok.
Two things I didn't try at QF lounge so can't be sure whether they are better.
  • Champagne/wine: I didn't try (I am not an alcoholi ... err ... alcohol aficionado) so not sure though I suspect Wing F being an F lounge should, in theory, be superior to QF lounge.
  • Washroom/shower: obviously there are cabanas at Wing F but in all these years, I've only used it once. Tried it and then move on. I never felt the need to go back and use it again and again and again as my transit/time at HKG are usually short. I had shower at Wing F before heading to QF lounge so can't say but I suspect a shower is a shower. As long as it is clean and water pressure is good, I'm good.
QF lounge was more crowded but still plenty of seats available. It's a function of time of visit and the fact that it's a J/F lounge.
Interesting... I've some different take...
  • Dining area: If Wing F is dark , then how about Pier F? BTW Wing and Pier F dining area is designed to be more private thus more enclosed. Probably the more open space make you feel more relax... Sometimes I want a more private area then I'll go Wing or Pier F but sometimes like if I'm flying 1900 flight I'd prefer QF so I can see the sunset...
  • À la carte: QF has a la carte? I think they only have one or two daily dish(es) to order only.... For rice in QF buffet area where you didn't visit they have a small rice cooker so I believe the quality will be better than those cooked using big rice cooker in kitchen... I never have crusts in my Economy rice (but yes I had them in J once or twice on CX)
  • Trolley: Trolley only offered during dinner time. To me it's fun and interesting to have it around occasionally (current frequency is fine), but if they really tour around like Maxim's... Why I don't just go to Maxim's before custom?
  • Buffet - salad/main course: Interesting that you didn't go to take a look but you can conclude that QF is better... I can tell you choices in QF is much less than Wing F. For restock QF is not as frequent as CX F lounge but is acceptable
  • Buffet - dessert: I don't like cheesecake I prefer more choices in Wing F / Pier F
For shower I didn't try QF HK shower but I can tell you I tried QF Sydney J lounge shower... And it's quite a distance from CX's offering
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by sscywong
Dining area: If Wing F is dark , then how about Pier F? BTW Wing and Pier F dining area is designed to be more private thus more enclosed. Probably the more open space make you feel more relax... Sometimes I want a more private area then I'll go Wing or Pier F but sometimes like if I'm flying 1900 flight I'd prefer QF so I can see the sunset...
I guess if one travels with a companion, there's an appeal to being in a more private/enclosed dining area but when travelling alone (for work, etc), sitting and eating alone in a quiet, dark, enclosed place ... ai ya.

À la carte: QF has a la carte? I think they only have one or two daily dish(es) to order only.... For rice in QF buffet area where you didn't visit they have a small rice cooker so I believe the quality will be better than those cooked using big rice cooker in kitchen... I never have crusts in my Economy rice (but yes I had them in J once or twice on CX
The waiter at QF gave me 3 (or 4?) choices - one rice and three noodle dishes. It's about the same as the list at Wing F (it was about 4 or 5?). Also the ones at Wing F menu were mostly veggie stuffs. I like my meat. It was different from how I remembered Wing F menu.

Buffet - salad/main course: Interesting that you didn't go to take a look but you can conclude that QF is better... I can tell you choices in QF is much less than Wing F. For restock QF is not as frequent as CX F lounge but is acceptable
No, i think above I said i didn't try but did take a look.

For shower I didn't try QF HK shower but I can tell you I tried QF Sydney J lounge shower... And it's quite a distance from CX's offering
Ya, haven't been back to AU since grammar school days. How is it compared to QF SIN shower? I like the bright, clean setup of QF SIN shower so if QF HKG shower is similar, then I'd prefer it over the darky dark theme of Wing F shower. I honestly don't understand why CX chose dark colours for shower. Yes, dark colours (like with seat on plane) look elegance but with shower?
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Food poisoning
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:20 am

The wing still had flies last night and staff just shrugged when I reported it.

Menu around 9am was depressing with only a few options. No drink menu proivded either. Buffet was in a sad state and looked like much of the food had been sitting for hours (with flies around).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Other than the fact that the lounge is "free" and maybe a less crowded place to sit.. the food from other restaurant and outlets in the airport is actually much tastier imho...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Food poisoning
if u eat lounge food u wont get food poisoning till u arrive.
what a farce. she should be patriotic and fly airlines of china
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:49 pm
Suspended

I guess if one travels with a companion, there's an appeal to being in a more private/enclosed dining area but when travelling alone (for work, etc), sitting and eating alone in a quiet, dark, enclosed place ... ai ya.

The waiter at QF gave me 3 (or 4?) choices - one rice and three noodle dishes. It's about the same as the list at Wing F (it was about 4 or 5?). Also the ones at Wing F menu were mostly veggie stuffs. I like my meat. It was different from how I remembered Wing F menu.

No, i think above I said i didn't try but did take a look.

Ya, haven't been back to AU since grammar school days. How is it compared to QF SIN shower? I like the bright, clean setup of QF SIN shower so if QF HKG shower is similar, then I'd prefer it over the darky dark theme of Wing F shower. I honestly don't understand why CX chose dark colours for shower. Yes, dark colours (like with seat on plane) look elegance but with shower?
yeh its the same scheme. hides the dirt better w dark walls tho lol
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Live reporting from dining room in Wing F.

Flies having a good time near the salad bar. And 2 flies flying near my food for the entire meal. Not pleasant.

No flies spotted 4 weeks ago though.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:56 am

...... I honestly don't understand why CX chose dark colours for shower. Yes, dark colours (like with seat on plane) look elegance but with shower?
The Wing F does have so much mirroring black stuff, that it becomes easy to bump into the walls in these dark walk-ways
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Live reporting from dining room in Wing F.

Flies having a good time near the salad bar. And 2 flies flying near my food for the entire meal. Not pleasant.

No flies spotted 4 weeks ago though.
It's an open air lounge, flies from all over the terminal can get to the finest dining of the Wing F (and QF too).

What do you want them to do, put up mosquito nets ? Spray insecticides over the delicious food ? To be honest, I think, it's just concept determined, not much to be done about those flies ......
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:22 pm
Suspended

there ARE less flies in qantas lounge- temperature/airiness (qf in general feels more airy/cooler) help
Isochronous likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
there ARE less flies in qantas lounge- temperature/airiness (qf in general feels more airy/cooler) help
Did you actually count the flies at each location within, for example, 1 hour ? Did you repeat your investigation to obtain a statistically supported result, or do you just vent your opinion what you think the results should be ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.