FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Rumour: CX May Invest in HX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1950247-rumour-cx-may-invest-hx.html)

ernestnywang Jan 10, 2019 4:41 am

Rumour: CX May Invest in HX

Several Chinese news reports just came out in the past few hours mentioning that CX may inject capitals into HX or buy HX's shares as HX is on the brink of bankruptcy. The reports mention that China Development Bank might help with HX's 550 million USD bond which will mature on 20JAN. One report (last one) says HU is still interested in joining oneworld and needs to sort out HX with CX.

https://www.hk01.com/財經快訊/281125/內媒報...21512;作
???????????? ?????????-??-???
https://ezone.ulifestyle.com.hk/arti...1354;%EF%BC%9F

zeltergiset Jan 10, 2019 4:44 am

Time for that competition ordinance to be put to the test.

hkskyline Jan 10, 2019 5:51 am

Or is the central government wrestling CX to help bail out HX?

ChrisLi Jan 10, 2019 9:14 pm

I just thinking if that's for real CX has to suspend trade? But we don't see that happen ....

moondog Jan 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I haven't heard any updates on this in the past month, but CA is also a potential suitor (for any/all HNA Group airlines). I don't care much for HU or HX, but their presence helps keep fares in check in many markets.

pochi Jan 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30639719)
I haven't heard any updates on this in the past month, but CA is also a potential suitor (for any/all HNA Group airlines). I don't care much for HU or HX, but their presence helps keep fares in check in many markets.

As I remember, CA cannot hold any HKG based airline except CX due to intersect holding. So CA can only buy HU but cannot touch any holding of HX (HU still hold certain % of HX)

CX HK Jan 11, 2019 12:57 am

Should be HKG govt pressuring CX to buy HX instead. Imagine anything happening around CNY... would be an absolute disaster for HK.

cheung.chunyuenc Jan 11, 2019 1:19 am

I bet it is similar case when VS looks for buyers.
BA is interested in the slots but not the company (VS).
By the same token, CX is interested in the slots of HX but not HX itself

Chromie25 Jan 11, 2019 1:22 am

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 30640102)
Should be HKG govt pressuring CX to buy HX instead. Imagine anything happening around CNY... would be an absolute disaster for HK.

Why should the government pressure CX? It's a free economy and survival of the fittest. As with any other business there's always a risk of a counterparty failing to deliver.

I think unless CX's parents ask for help, CX would stay out of this. What's better than seeing your biggest local competitor failing?

sxc Jan 11, 2019 1:25 am

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc (Post 30640135)
I bet it is similar case when VS looks for buyers.
BA is interested in the slots but not the company (VS).
By the same token, CX is interested in the slots of HX but not HX itself

They're probably also interested in the crew on cheaper contracts too.

If they bought HX, they'll probably keep its AOC separate, like they have for KA.

fairhsa Jan 11, 2019 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Chromie25 (Post 30640139)
Why should the government pressure CX? It's a free economy and survival of the fittest. As with any other business there's always a risk of a counterparty failing to deliver.

I think unless CX's parents ask for help, CX would stay out of this. What's better than seeing your biggest local competitor failing?

Not spent much time in HK recently? Big brother is now everywhere.

Cambo Jan 11, 2019 2:24 am

I think, that idea is outdated. Nowadays, there are to many big mouth CEO's, diving into disastrous adventures using other peoples' money. Adventures, based on "you have to be big, not profitable", until the whole does collapse. Quite a lot of airlines are in serious troubles now and nearly every week, one collapses. Think about EY, already outsourcing a lot of pilots and now also firing an additional 50 pilots, in a boom market for pilot jobs.

A failing competitor is also bad for your own business, because it lowers the trust in the business type. Better take-over that business, once the price is right, reorganize, etc and show that you have more control of the business, etc.

Chromie25 Jan 11, 2019 3:19 am

Originally Posted by fairhsa (Post 30640233)
Not spent much time in HK recently? Big brother is now everywhere.

I understand the reality but just voicing out my opinion.

ermen Jan 11, 2019 3:23 am

HX is not failing in the next few months.
take a chill pill :)

Ausriver Jan 11, 2019 3:46 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 30640145)
They're probably also interested in the crew on cheaper contracts too.

If they bought HX, they'll probably keep its AOC separate, like they have for KA.

Can keep HX as a low cost CX, move more tourist market to HX, could be a win win