Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I swap seats to F if I'm in J...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I swap seats to F if I'm in J...?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by QRC3288
In my experience this is completely inaccurate advice. I'm not saying it's never happened, but in too many CX F flights to count (50+. Not sure if I'm at 100 yet, but I think over 50) I have never seen someone join for a meal, ever. I have seen people ask on multiple occasions, and denied is the result almost every time. In one occasion a gentlemen asked to have his friend join from the back. The ISM did permit it, provided he ate and drank nothing. They played cards for an hour and frankly it was a little anmoying they we're on 1A, I was in 2A.[left]

If you reported this to CX the ISM should had retired for quite a long time already
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Depending on the route and inventory, I’ve seen CX release as many as 4 and even 5 F award seats close in. Just keep checking inside 10-14 days and up until departure.
Probably not in the next nine months because of the CX New Year "Exceptional Fare".
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by neuro0
Probably not in the next nine months because of the CX New Year "Exceptional Fare".
Oh yeah. Good point.
prw555 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Well, I just got off a long haul F flight where the husband was opupped* to 2D, gave the seat to his wife but both of them were in the seat binging a bottle of the Lynch bages and a plate of cheese together...

The ISM (and the other 2) were exceptionally nice to me and doing a great job otherwise so I didn't feel like making a scene and to be frank the nuisance lasted for less than half an hour

*Or instant upgrade - I can't be sure and bothered to check

(I feel like it wouldn't happen if we were bound for the US, but to be frank I am much more familiar with the 8xx flights so maybe this is allowed on a European flight?)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
is that possible for US bound flights to switch seat this case?
my dad in F and myself and my mum in J, my dad wants to sit with my mum. shall I request swap seat among me and Dad at:
1. boarding door
2. after seated
3. at gate
4. check in (place request)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by derek2010
my dad in F and myself and my mum in J, my dad wants to sit with my mum. shall I request swap seat among me and Dad at:
1. boarding door
2. after seated
3. at gate
During boarding is the best time to switch.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
During boarding is the best time to switch.
you mean the passport check at Gate? I am flying CX872 from HK, requires US additional security check. Shall I do this before / after the security check?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
you mean the passport check at Gate? I am flying CX872 from HK, requires US additional security check. Shall I do this before / after the security check?
I'd exchange boarding passes after the gate scan and in the jet bridge just before you board the plane.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I mean when you get to the door of the plane. Just informed the ISM or the Senior Purser that you wish to trade seats. That way you don't get asked too many questions at the boarding gate and the US security check.

Take note that you guys may not be able to switch again later.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
1. boarding door
2. after seated
3. at gate
I've seen this done on many CX flights in F, best time is right after you board.

Lol no, don't do it at the gate, or before check-in, or anything like that. Just get on board, have your father (the pax ticketed in F) approach the ISM, and say he'd like to change seats with you for the flight. If your father is uncomfortable doing it alone you (the pax switching into F, I presume) go with him together and say it to the ISM. The ISM will then most likely say something along the lines of "okay, once you switch you can't change back" or something like that, and then agree. I think I've seen this happen not quite 10 times, but I think 5+, and I've never seen an ISM deny the switch before the flight gets underway. Nice ISMs might even let you two sit in F pre-flight during boarding and enjoy a glass of Champagne before your father goes back to J class with your mom. I have seen pax get denied who tried to do it mid-flight, and other weird antics in F. But never once have I see a denial when done in the manner I describe. This includes US flights. You'll be fine.

It's best to let the ISM know, not anyone else, because the ISM is essentially the boss of your plane for the flight. The ground staff, check-in agents, etc. none of them know anything what it's like on board and frankly they might do something weird like deny you.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I would assume the father and the son have the same surname, what is really the big deal of telling the ISM or any FA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.