FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Odd service timing on CX198 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1950072-odd-service-timing-cx198.html)

malmostoso Jan 9, 2019 7:11 am

Odd service timing on CX198

Hello CX forum,

Just had my first CX flight AKL-HKG in Y and wanted to check with you whether the service we received is common in this route or on CX in general.

We departed on time at 15h and landed at 20.45, so essentially a day flight roughly 10 hours long. One hour after departure we were served lunch and then the FAs quickly asked all passengers to close the shades and dimmed the lights. We settled in our seats (a refurb 777 10 abreast, so the settling in was minimal) and after a couple of hours ordered some snacks. So far so good.

We were very surprised when at the 5h mark the lights in the cabin were turned on, and the "refreshment" was served to a half asleep cabin, where many passengers didn't bother with the meal. Lights went dark shortly after, and then the flight proceeded uneventfully until about 45 minutes before landing when the lights came on again.

Is it normal to have the second meal in the middle of the flight as opposed to a couple of hours before landing? We've travelled to NZ on a number of airlines over the years and never encountered such a concept.

Thank you!

G-CIVC Jan 9, 2019 7:35 am

It's an incentive that's been ongoing for years to minimize snacks consumption inflight. Some claim it works better for their jetlag adjustment etc

In short: yes it is normal here

malmostoso Jan 10, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 30631605)
It's an incentive that's been ongoing for years to minimize snacks consumption inflight. Some claim it works better for their jetlag adjustment etc

Indeed. Had I known I wouldn't have ordered the noodles (which were better than the main of the refreshment, but that's besides the point).

In short: yes it is normal here
Good to know. Thank you for the explanation!

dddc Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm

This also happens on the "day" flight to London, CX257. Leaves HKG at 9.45. Arrives LHR at 15.00. First meal is a Lunch served about 90 mins in, then around 5 hours before landing they serve the 2nd "lunch". It kind of makes sense as it's an early dinner HKG time. (Although I've always done these as flights from Australia, so my meals times are out of sync by then) I've done it 3 times and that's what's happened, but in a few months I'm doing the CX343 which leaves HKG at 00.30 and lands at LGW at 5.30. I really hope they don't serve it at 5 hours out as I'll be starving by the time we land and then make our way home!!

Does anyone here know the CX343 meal schedule? And if they do serve the 2nd meal 5 hours out, can you still order the noodles later? (Yes, travelling makes me hungry!!)

zhaobao Jan 10, 2019 10:13 pm

CX 343 at least in J starts with a "late supper" and then a couple of hours before landing, breakfast. Of course, the general rule is, no matter what class you travel in, EAT before you board (CX lounges / Plaza Premium / whatever food outlets in HKG). :)

cyster2007 Jan 10, 2019 11:59 pm

CX830 HKG to JFK also similar like that. They serve lunch then about 6-7 hours before landing, they serve dinner.

percysmith Jan 12, 2019 12:43 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 30631605)
It's an incentive that's been ongoing for years to minimize snacks consumption inflight.

When are they gonna start handing out Xanax?