Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
CX can "unrestrict" that currency, making it more convertible for elites. They used to do this. But ever since the mistake fare, no. Why would do they make it easier for us elites to use Asia Miles? By allowing us preferential access to burning awards we want, it increases the dollar value of Asia Miles to us elites, and similarly increases our determination to re-up Diamond / Gold etc each year. That, especially since the revamp, should drive more revenues to CX.
This is a soft bribe to best corporate customers to steer work travel to CX.
I'm a believer of the Efficient Market Hypothesis - if CX doesn't do it anymore, it's cos even these customers are too captive to move.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:29 am

Sep 3 CX829 was wait listed for close to 2 months with standard award. 2 weeks ago I put in choice award and that cleared just now. Flight was empty anyway but I guess moral of the story here is Cathay really wants to suck in those points and force people to use choice awards
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Would anyone be kind enough to check waitlist chances in J on 8, 9 and 10 October, CX163 HKG-MEL?
Flights look a bit tight
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Originally Posted by chenjitailai
I was back from ICN to HKG yesterday with a ticket redeemed long time ago in U for CX439 (departing at 13:35).
When I was trying to change my flight to CX419 (departing at 20:15) about one month ago, the MPC put me into wait list for CX419 under a same booking ref (without cancel my confirmed CX439) and told me the latest clear time was one hour prior to the departing time of CX439 since I already had a confirmed flight.
HOWEVER, I have not received any emails and tried to call the MPC but in vain even though I checked CX419 has J9C9D0I0 when I was boarding CX439 and ready to take off.
SOOOO, I think the CX wait list clear time is really a mystery.
This doesn’t necessarily mean there are award seats available. They may even have only 1-2 seats available in front cabin, and if they are lucky enough to have 9 last min booking in C, there could be unlucky ones being left on the ground. Y cabin might be overbooked already
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by percysmith

Too early to tell. See you in the Twenties.
Good luck! Flights are usually overbooked during those days
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
@percysmith can I borrow your crystal ball to see if my PE to business upgrade will clear for CX650 on Aug 8. Waitlist expires Aug 4. When should I give up waitlisting

Current load is J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

TIA😀
Seems good chance as Y looks overbooked and they may op-up ppl to PE, which could lead to overbook in PE. You have higher priority if they have to move PE pax to J. But regional flights are odd to predict. I once flew HKG-SIN-HKG on biz trip with a colleague. We both got upgraded from PE to J both legs. However, PE wasn’t full and J was literally empty, and we were seated miles apart, so i wondered if our upgrade was for weight balancing purpose
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Qantas, Velocity, KrisFlyer
Question for the forum guru's...
I have waitlisted for 2 x Business class seats on CX157 HKG-BNE on 12th August in Standard and also Choice. I also waitlisted 2 seats on CX157 a day earlier 11th August as a backup.
Just today the 2 tickets for the 11th confirmed, but it's really the 12th we want. The deadline for issuing the confirmed seats on 11th is 8/8 22:00.

Do Cathay sometimes confirm multiple waitlists, even though the person can only fly on one of them? I don't want to issue this confirmed flight on 11th until the very last minute, in the hope that one of my waitlists for 12th confirms before the deadline 8/8.

Am I right in saying that CX157 HKG-BNE on 12th August is looking pretty good 11 days out?...and if so, as 11th confirmed then 12th is also likely?

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by RobmacAus
Do Cathay sometimes confirm multiple waitlists, even though the person can only fly on one of them? I don't want to issue this confirmed flight on 11th until the very last minute, in the hope that one of my waitlists for 12th confirms before the deadline 8/8.
Yes
RobmacAus likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:21 pm

Quote from un1bomber: "Sep 3 CX829 was wait listed for close to 2 months with standard award. 2 weeks ago I put in choice award and that cleared just now. Flight was empty anyway but I guess moral of the story here is Cathay really wants to suck in those points and force people to use choice awards"

Hi how do I see or select Choice awards on their website? I only see Standard. Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by gtran26
Quote from un1bomber: "Sep 3 CX829 was wait listed for close to 2 months with standard award. 2 weeks ago I put in choice award and that cleared just now. Flight was empty anyway but I guess moral of the story here is Cathay really wants to suck in those points and force people to use choice awards"

Hi how do I see or select Choice awards on their website? I only see Standard. Thanks!
Use fixed dates on the facade (search) page
Then scroll right
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Chatter

Seems good chance as Y looks overbooked and they may op-up ppl to PE, which could lead to overbook in PE. You have higher priority if they have to move PE pax to J. But regional flights are odd to predict. I once flew HKG-SIN-HKG on biz trip with a colleague. We both got upgraded from PE to J both legs. However, PE wasn’t full and J was literally empty, and we were seated miles apart, so i wondered if our upgrade was for weight balancing purpose
The waitlist eventually cleared yesterday morning. The previous flight looks to be overselling Y and possibly upgrading PY pax already but for my flight, PY looks to be still open, E became 9

CX714 8Aug
J9 C9 D9 I9 W1 R1 E1 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

CX650 8Aug
J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:54 pm

I'm on waitlist for 2 Business class seats on CX157 HKG-BNE Monday 12th August. Now that it's only a week away, could someone please let me know what my chances might be with this one, and also seat availability?

I've been confirmed for 2 business seats on CX157 11th August but I'm hanging out for the Monday flight.
Cheers all
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by RobmacAus
I'm on waitlist for 2 Business class seats on CX157 HKG-BNE Monday 12th August. Now that it's only a week away, could someone please let me know what my chances might be with this one, and also seat availability?

I've been confirmed for 2 business seats on CX157 11th August but I'm hanging out for the Monday flight.
Cheers all
Could still be too early to tell though there is good availability, and they may even leave the seats empty which is the recent trend. If you don't have status, chance is even lower by now. I also find Monday HKG departure is always tricky as CX tends to leave more seats for revenue tickets given higher biz travel demand. At least you still have an earlier flight to hang out for.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Chatter
Could still be too early to tell though there is good availability, and they may even leave the seats empty which is the recent trend. If you don't have status, chance is even lower by now. I also find Monday HKG departure is always tricky as CX tends to leave more seats for revenue tickets given higher biz travel demand. At least you still have an earlier flight to hang out for.

Cheers for that Chatter. Your answer prompts questions about a couple of your points...
  • So could be too early for them to 'pull the trigger'...because they might be hoping for more cash sales in the interim?
  • They might leave the seats empty?...I've read a few comments on the thread about this, and it's hard to understand why they'd do this. Wouldn't they rather at least have someone in the seat, esp if the person is redeeming with 'Choice'?
  • I do have MPC status, but just joined a week ago so it's the lowest status - 'Green'
Really hoping I find out either way before 8th August as that's when my confirmed flights expire - at 22:00 HK time. I may even let them expire in the hope I can get something on 12th confirmed in those last 4 days before the flight - bad idea??

This whole thing is becoming stressful, first time using points, and I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy about CX anymore!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by un1bomber
Sep 3 CX829 was wait listed for close to 2 months with standard award. 2 weeks ago I put in choice award and that cleared just now. Flight was empty anyway but I guess moral of the story here is Cathay really wants to suck in those points and force people to use choice awards
This happened to me earlier this year on DPS-HKG.

Eight days out, standard economy and business both available. Seven to five days out, standard economy disappears and only choice available, business availability fluctuates between only choice or occasional standard (wait list for standard not even an option). One day out, I book a standard business after two days of only choice being available. Day of departure, standard economy and business both available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.