Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by boybi

by the way, do I get F CPs for this flight upgraded with miles?
No.
boybi likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by boybi
by the way, do I get F CPs for this flight upgraded with miles?
Sorry, you only get the CP from your original revenue ticket, i.e what you paid for.
boybi likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:24 am

Hi, can someone please help with the load of Perth - Hk for tonight 19/4/19. I have two confirmed business class ticket but hoping to upgrade my husband and my son with points at the airport. Currently in premium economy. When I did a dummy booking, I can only get paid ticket for one. Does that mean that there’s absolutely no chance for us to travel together? From EF, I can see one seat available and 4 blocked. Will these blocked seats eventually be released as I’m not really sure what they mean...

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:34 am

Forgot to mention it’s cx 170!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by jindisim
Hi, can someone please help with the load of Perth - Hk for tonight 19/4/19. I have two confirmed business class ticket but hoping to upgrade my husband and my son with points at the airport. Currently in premium economy. When I did a dummy booking, I can only get paid ticket for one. Does that mean that there’s absolutely no chance for us to travel together? From EF, I can see one seat available and 4 blocked. Will these blocked seats eventually be released as I’m not really sure what they mean...

Had a quick look at EF - J1 C0 D1 I0 as you noted, only 1 ticket available for sale. Seat map showing no seats available 11 D/G which is always blocked on A359 and 12 A/K the bassinet seats also blocked. In my experience, since I usually call and have my seat changed to 12K on the A359, 12 A/K are probably still open since when I take 12 K, EF seat map always shows 12K as occupied after I take it. As has been noted before on this board, 11 D/G are terrible seats and I've never seen them occupied even on full cabins. I think CX usually only assigns ID pax here if the cabin is full. But if you're dead seat on getting the rest of your family in the J cabin, maybe you can raise taking one of those seats as a possibility.

Hard to say if you can get instant upgrade for both PEY seats but perhaps one.. Stupid question, but do you have the proper PEY class tickets for upgrade, R or W? If they are E class tickets you will not be able to upgrade. Definitely inquire at check-in, they might ask you to wait closer to boarding since availability is so tight.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys
Had a quick look at EF - J1 C0 D1 I0 as you noted, only 1 ticket available for sale. Seat map showing no seats available 11 D/G which is always blocked on A359 and 12 A/K the bassinet seats also blocked. In my experience, since I usually call and have my seat changed to 12K on the A359, 12 A/K are probably still open since when I take 12 K, EF seat map always shows 12K as occupied after I take it. As has been noted before on this board, 11 D/G are terrible seats and I've never seen them occupied even on full cabins. I think CX usually only assigns ID pax here if the cabin is full. But if you're dead seat on getting the rest of your family in the J cabin, maybe you can raise taking one of those seats as a possibility.

Hard to say if you can get instant upgrade for both PEY seats but perhaps one.. Stupid question, but do you have the proper PEY class tickets for upgrade, R or W? If they are E class tickets you will not be able to upgrade. Definitely inquire at check-in, they might ask you to wait closer to boarding since availability is so tight.
Thanks a lot for that. We will need to wait and see at airport then. Our tickets are definitely upgradaeable as and my son both manage to upgrade to business. Just that my husband and the other son waitlist never clear. Once again, thanks for your info.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
any chance of getting 1F in one of the following?
28/4: CX883
F3 A2 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9
K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9
29/4: CX881
F5 A4 J9 C9 D9 I9 W2 R1 E0 Y9 B9 H9
K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Does anyone kindly check the flight load below for me please? I don have EF

May 9th, KA 299 HKG-HAN

CX website still sells Q class but MPC wouldnt clear my X waitlist..
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
This is my first time using Asia Miles to upgrade - and what a byzantine process it's been so far. I finally have my two sectors (confirmed in W), wait-listed (for U), as follows:

CX-178, MEL-HKG, 2-May
CX-749, HKG-JNB, 4-May

35,000 miles to upgrade both sectors feels like a bargain - if it actually works. The agent I spoke with, however, was totally unable to give me any sense if these flights had a chance of clearing. Might someone here be able to help me adjust my expectations?

Thanks in advance.

-Checkerboard

p.s. - If I revert my FF number in the booking from Asia Miles (where I have no status) to AAdvantage (where I am OW Emerald) - would that improve my waitlist chances?

p.p.s. - One other odd thing: the agent mentioned that the wait-list request would expire on 28-April (4 days before departure of my first segment). Can this possibly be true? It's hard to understand the point of creating a waitlist for upgrades if that list is then liquidated just before any last-minute inventory could be released... This is such a hard process to get my head around.

Last edited by checkerboard; Apr 21, 2019 at 10:08 pm Reason: To add question about FF# (and later, about the "waitlist deadline")
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
This is my first time using Asia Miles to upgrade - and what a byzantine process it's been so far. I finally have my two sectors (confirmed in W), wait-listed (for U), as follows:

CX-178, MEL-HKG, 2-May
CX-749, HKG-JNB, 4-May

35,000 miles to upgrade both sectors feels like a bargain - if it actually works.
You mean 35k miles for each sector, right? If you mean 35k total for both sectors combined, that is not correct.

The agent I spoke with, however, was totally unable to give me any sense if these flights had a chance of clearing. Might someone here be able to help me adjust my expectations?
Things have been very difficult to predict the last 4 months. It coincided with the mistake J and F fares released in December. For whatever reason, they have completely screwed award inventory across the entire CX system. It doesn't seem like I've heard a good answer why non-US routes are affected, but ever since that mistake fare went out J and F class award bookers, and especially predictability, have gotten the short end of the stick.

p.s. - If I revert my FF number in the booking from Asia Miles (where I have no status) to AAdvantage (where I am OW Emerald) - would that improve my waitlist chances?
No. The only status that matters for upgrading is your Marco Polo / Asia Miles status. It's not one of the OneWorld benefits. Obviously it would be a little silly for them to honor status you earned elsewhere for their own (competing) program's upgrades...anyway, the answer is "no". But if you do have any status in Marco Polo (even if Silver, the second-lowest tier), it will help you, so put that in if you have it.

p.p.s. - One other odd thing: the agent mentioned that the wait-list request would expire on 28-April (4 days before departure of my first segment). Can this possibly be true? It's hard to understand the point of creating a waitlist for upgrades if that list is then liquidated just before any last-minute inventory could be released... This is such a hard process to get my head around.
It is true. It is an annoying feature, although to be fair the "last-minute inventory release" isn't really as big a thing as you make it out to be here especially since the mistake fare was released. Maybe it is on other airlines you're familiar with, but with CX it's just not as predictable, especially recently. The bottom line is the program has a lot of annoying features and this is one of them. Although you can likely get that waitlist extended a few days if you call and beg them. Good luck. Eventually they blow out the entire waiting list a few days before departure and often they'll do this even with a bunch of empty seats left for sale. Don't feel too badly because they do this idiotic ritual regardless of your status, whether you are a zero on CX or their highest status members (DM). They wipe it clean equally and annoyingly for everyone.

If you don't clear, what you can do is go to the airport early and do "Instant Upgrade". That is Asia Miles language for "Use Asia Miles to Upgrade an Eligible Fare Class At The Airport". They won't have any record of your waitlist here, which actually benefits you since you don't have any status. (It is a remarkably annoying feature for CX elites, however, and is apparently simply a result of CX's awful IT systems. Anyway, it's to your advantage, because they don't have a list of anyone. aka if there was a list of 5 people, say 3 non-status like yourself, 1 CX Gold, and 1 CX Diamond, if all 5 of you show up at the airport it can end up being "first come first served" instead of status, and they won't hold that seat for the Gold and Diamond over you). So if you show up early at the airport, it's often "first come first served" for Instant Upgrade awards. Make sense? Meaning you have a decent shot at beating out a Diamond, Gold or Silver, if they got to the airport later than you. Not a guarantee they do it this way, but generally it's the way I've noticed they do it. Sometimes they do wait until the end. But my point is all is not lost if they wipe the waitlist and force you to go to the airport, and if anything it's an advantage to people without CX status since you have a chance to compete on more equal footing. (to the chagrin of board members here).
wyskevin likes this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Apr 22, 2019 at 12:56 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF

CX-178, MEL-HKG, 2-May
CX-749, HKG-JNB, 4-May

35,000 miles to upgrade both sectors feels like a bargain - if it actually works. The agent I spoke with, however, was totally unable to give me any sense if these flights had a chance of clearing. Might someone here be able to help me adjust my expectations?

Thanks in advance.

-Checkerboard

FWIW I quite frequently use AM to upgrade from W to business class on the MEL-HKG sector. My strike rate is quite good however: (i) almost all upgrades occur at/after check-in and I generally don't bother with waitlisting anymore (for the reasons you mention it is mostly not worth the fuss); (ii) to answer your question, yes it is all about expectations and hence I try not to have too many ahead of arriving at the airport. I am also under no illusions that if I weren't CX DM, my strike rate would be far worse.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by QRC3288
You mean 35k miles for each sector, right? If you mean 35k total for both sectors combined, that is not correct.
OP is correct - 35k miles total for MEL-HKG and HKG-JNB combined

The catch is it has to be done at the same time (ie both have to be confirmed before the WL expires), but both MEL and JNB use 'G' aircraft which are hard for J upgrades...

It is golden week so I think JNB will be a tough one unfortunately for OP - CX will probably make you sweat before anything. That being said, I magically got 2 standard awards cleared last night for the same weekend (HKG-MAN and HKG-LHR, thanks CX!) without having to resort to 'petitioning' over the phone. For OP, their JNB flight looks light load still so there could still be a chance!
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
OP is correct - 35k miles total for MEL-HKG and HKG-JNB combined
That is an incredible deal for those so inclined!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:48 am

​​​​​​I would like to book YYZ-HKG-LHR J as a one way ticket. HKG-LHR immediately available but not YYZ-HKG.

Questions:
1. I can put YYZ-HKG on hold and then waitlist expires in one month. Any hints on chance of getting it before expiry ?

2. Can I add HKG-LHR sector before I ticket once the waitlist materialises?

3. I can first book YYZ-HKG in Y and HKG-LHR in J. If seat YYZ-HKG in J turns up I pay $100 to re-ticket. Doing this can lock in the dates for YYZ-HKG and the extremely limited HKG-LHR. Though is there any better way than spending $100?

4. On award HKG-LHR there are two flights near midnight with half an hour apart, each with only one seat available at present. If I book one each and ask the agent at check in to put two passengers on different flights together on same flight, what would be the chance of succeed given a non-elite member ? How about if I ticket F, would there be any difference ?

Thanks in advanced.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by HypnoticSpecter
​​​​​​I would like to book YYZ-HKG-LHR J as a one way ticket. HKG-LHR immediately available but not YYZ-HKG.

Questions:
1. I can put YYZ-HKG on hold and then waitlist expires in one month. Any hints on chance of getting it before expiry ?

Assuming from your wording that this is further in the future. You can call to extend after a month.

2. Can I add HKG-LHR sector before I ticket once the waitlist materialises?

You should ask your agent to just set up YYZ-HKG-LHR with HKG-LHR confirmed and YYZ-HKG waitlisted.

3. I can first book YYZ-HKG in Y and HKG-LHR in J. If seat YYZ-HKG in J turns up I pay $100 to re-ticket. Doing this can lock in the dates for YYZ-HKG and the extremely limited HKG-LHR. Though is there any better way than spending $100?

10,000 miles

4. On award HKG-LHR there are two flights near midnight with half an hour apart, each with only one seat available at present. If I book one each and ask the agent at check in to put two passengers on different flights together on same flight, what would be the chance of succeed given a non-elite member ? How about if I ticket F, would there be any difference ?

Don't count on it happening. J or F regardless

Thanks in advanced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.