Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
My experience for Business Class is that usually a healthy and roughly equal number of JCDI (J=C=D=I), a healthy number of E usually means the wl would eventually clear. It is very hard to tell from far in advance, but within one month there would be some paterns.
Hi there, is this also the case for upgrades from PE to biz? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
My experience for Business Class is that usually a healthy and roughly equal number of JCDI (J=C=D=I), a healthy number of E usually means the wl would eventually clear. It is very hard to tell from far in advance, but within one month there would be some paterns.
Unless you run into a case like mine - CX 549 yesterday (09 Mar) flew out with 21 empty seats in J and consistently F3A3J9C9D9I9W9R9E9Y9...Q9 loads for the past couple weeks but I was not able to clear my waitlists spanning across F, J, W classes for both standard and choice awards.
percysmith and shd9 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:05 am

Just new for asia mile redemtion. I'm wondering whether I can put JFK-HKG(MAR 24)//HKG-CDG(JULY 2nd ) into one booking for F and pay only 125K~my friend told me is yes, but how about waitlist invloved?
1. Is it possible to call the asia mile to waitlist those ticket?
2. SC1: JFK-HKG cleared while HKG-CDG waitlist, so what happen?
3. SC2: JFK-HKG still waitlist but HKG-CDG cleared, so what happen?
Thanks~
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by a0101115
Just new for asia mile redemtion. I'm wondering whether I can put JFK-HKG(MAR 24)//HKG-CDG(JULY 2nd ) into one booking for F and pay only 125K~my friend told me is yes, but how about waitlist invloved?
1. Is it possible to call the asia mile to waitlist those ticket?
2. SC1: JFK-HKG cleared while HKG-CDG waitlist, so what happen?
3. SC2: JFK-HKG still waitlist but HKG-CDG cleared, so what happen?
Thanks~
1. Yes. If you can get connected
2. Deadline for HKG-CDG shortened to ten days
3. Deadline for JFK-HKG shortened to ten days
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:02 am

I’m on waitlists from MNL to six destinations from Jan 2 to 5 and Jan 2 to 6 both in 2020. How long would it be before the waitlists clear or expires?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:08 am

Would someone be able to tell me the loads and likelihood of a waitlist clearing on CX270 20APR in both Y and PE?

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Unless you run into a case like mine - CX 549 yesterday (09 Mar) flew out with 21 empty seats in J and consistently F3A3J9C9D9I9W9R9E9Y9...Q9 loads for the past couple weeks but I was not able to clear my waitlists spanning across F, J, W classes for both standard and choice awards.
Very Interesting... Probably Cathay wants to absolutely protect its yield on the prime CX548/9 HND flights?

BTW I wonder what do you mean by going to HKIA Aisle B? I had always been wondering what happens if you have a uncleared waitlist (say you have ticketed an alternative date and they put you on the waitlist for your preferred date), and you just go show at the airport. Will they put you on the standby list for the flight and trump all the non-revs waiting for the seat? Is that what you were trying to do lol?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Very Interesting... Probably Cathay wants to absolutely protect its yield on the prime CX548/9 HND flights?

BTW I wonder what do you mean by going to HKIA Aisle B? I had always been wondering what happens if you have a uncleared waitlist (say you have ticketed an alternative date and they put you on the waitlist for your preferred date), and you just go show at the airport. Will they put you on the standby list for the flight and trump all the non-revs waiting for the seat? Is that what you were trying to do lol?
Protecting yield but being plain stupid. I'm moving away some of my revenue business (a couple hundred CPs) from CX these coming two quarters. Sure they don't care but I figure I should take some action myself if just as an act of protest. I've also pledged that I will NOT openly vouch for MPO anymore as a superior OW FFP on FT given this kind of tarnish on the ability to 'pull' revenue seats for awards.

Aisle B - just making a final effort before I flew to TYO a few days ago. The MPO desk staff at HKIA are actual CX staff (rather than outsourced HKT staff on 27473888) so I figure they could have a bit more pull. Sadly, no it didn't happen

Regarding what you suggest, it looks like I may have to give this a try soon with the stinginess of CX releasing standard awards nowadays (feels like it has gotten worse these couple months...). I'm totally prepared to camp out at HKIA for nights to fight for a Z class award that I'm trying to change (jokes aside - it's a high frequency longhaul and I have some time to play this tug of war with them if needed. My latest observation is F4A4 a few days out and they still CLOSE the waitlist and put that 'flight is full' thing on their website - thinking if this could be case to report to Customs but I haven't had time to study the fine print and how I should approach/escalate this further yet)
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Is it possible to change an award ticket for free within 24 hrs of booking it or is there a charge even if it's under 24 hrs from booking.
If it can be changed for free, can this be done online or do I have to call?
TIA.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:32 pm

for June 24-27. HKG to JFK or EWR using Asia Miles.

I see seats for Prem Econ. But business all waiting list.

Can anyone help me which flight has better chance to get the waiting list clear?

And what tool I can use to check myself?

Last edited by toni8284; Mar 11, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

the mpo desk is at aisle b closest to the airport express
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by toni8284
for June 24-27. HKG to JFK or EWR using Asia Miles.

I see seats for Prem Econ. But business all waiting list.

Can anyone help me which flight has better chance to get the waiting list clear?

And what tool I can use to check myself?
EWR
expert flyer
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

EWR
can you see which day has better chance?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Is it possible to change an award ticket for free within 24 hrs of booking it or is there a charge even if it's under 24 hrs from booking.
If it can be changed for free, can this be done online or do I have to call?
TIA.
will be chargable once ticketed
but sometimes it takes a while to have it ticketed so before then its free
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

EWR
expert flyer
Sorry I am new to expert flyer

J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9
L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9

For business, I need to look at J, C, D, I?

the higher the number they are, the higher chance?
kaka likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.