Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:20 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Synthkey's explanation is more detailed than I'm prepared to write.

22/3 is as good as a max availability date as any (personally I use 12-19 March 2020). If a flight is not available for redemption those days it's as good as not going to available for redemption ever.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 26, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by synthkeys
The best most of us could do is look up those flights using expertflyer (EF) and that's a huge list. If you're really looking for success in these bookings, I'd recommend you head on over to expertflyer.com, create an account for as little as $4.99 a month for 250 queries and you can query the flights yourself and track as you get closer to departure.

As an example, here's ticket availability for CX846 HKG-JFK on MAR 22 2020 - F5 A5 Z0 J9 C9 D9 I9 U W9 R9 E9 T4 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9

The coding here is fare class code followed by number of tickets available with a max of 9. First class fare codes are F,A,Z. Business class J,C,D,I. Premium economy - W,R,E and the rest are economy.

First class award is fare class Z and this flight is currently showing no award (redemption) available. Unfortunately, for biz class there is no award class shown on EF. The best indicator is discounted business class, I. And this flight is showing at least 9 I class seats available - I9. In fact, all the flights from HKG - JFK/EWR are showing I9 on that date. A quick check of BKK-HKG flights on the same date shows a similar picture, biz class availability wide open, i.e. J9 C9 D9 I9

This is typical, as MAR 22 isn't a special day that I know of and being more than 3 months out, the flight is wide open. So why would a redemption not be available? Same reason as most of the other responses in this thread, it's too far out and CX hasn't released any award space. They're holding their cards, and looking to make revenue and awards get released closer to departure when the picture becomes clearer.

So if you're really determined to get an award on that date, the best approach is to waitlist the flight that makes the most sense for you, pay for EF and monitor the situation yourself. As you get closer to departure date, and if ticket availability on EF starts to narrow, make a decision about what you want to do which might involve choosing a different flight or if you really need to travel then buying a ticket outright. Don't be surprised that waitlist may expire and then it's a free for all, which involves checking daily right up until departure. As departure date closes in and there are unsold tickets, CX starts freeing up some award space. That's been the situation for a while now. You could also luck out and have award space open earlier and your waitlist is confirmed. Either way it's a crap shoot and if you've read this thread you can see how frustrating it has been for many to redeem awards.

For J (biz) class from HKG-NYC, I'd generally advise against CX899. The A350 has less J seats available and the flight tends to fill up, even on Sundays which I usually travel on CX899 when I return back to NY on an upgrade redemption. CX846 is slightly better chance as it's got more J seats, has F (first) if you want to try for that and it's the second afternoon flight after CX840 which is typically more crowded. Not too sure about CX888 since I never take that flight, but the stop in YVR makes it less desirable,
Thank you tremendously for spelling this out for me. Really appreciate this and this is great advice for everyone. Much appreciated! Will definitely invest in EF as well.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
Synthkey's explanation is more detailed than I'm prepared to write.

22/3 is as good as a max availability date as any (peersonally I use 12-19 March 2020). If a flight is not available for redemption those days it's as good as not going to available for redemption ever.
It was a great write up so I definitely appreciate it lol. Thanks for the advice as well!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
You can use the TPE-HKG-CMB redemption ticket like a ex-TPE revenue ticket. TPE allows same plane turns right?
My apologies but I lost you on this one. Can you please be so kind and explain?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
My apologies but I lost you on this one. Can you please be so kind and explain?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...returning.html
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:53 pm

Thanks for that.

You can use the TPE-HKG-CMB redemption ticket like a ex-TPE revenue ticket. TPE allows same plane turns right?
I'm guessing OP can do that if he's willing to but he needs to go to TPE, no show is not an option.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Qantas, Velocity, KrisFlyer
Hi All, I just called Asia Miles with a seemingly simple question but couldn't get a straight answer so now I'm coming to you the people...

I'm on a waitlist for CX157 BNE - HKG in Business class for 2nd December and also 3rd December, only 3-4 days away now. I need to be on one of those flights.

They told me their deadline for releasing the seats (or not) was 10pm 29th November for the flight on 2nd December, and 10pm 30th November for the flight on 3rd December. Yep, simple and understood.

All I wanted to know is if they will sometimes release them a little sooner than that (like a day or two) as opposed to generally being the very point of their deadline. Wasn't asking for specifics.
Totally understand there's no guarantees, but just hoping there is a precedent of them occasionally releasing them a day or two sooner than their deadline. Today (Thurs 28th) would be amazing, tomorrow 29th would be ok if it was in the morning...after that I'll start getting very nervous.

From what I can see on EF both flights don't look too bad availability wise (especially 3rd Dec) but I might be wrong there as I'm new at this. Anyway it's coming down to the wire and I will need to know asap or else I'll need to buy an economy ticket so I don't miss out altogether.

CHEERS

Last edited by RobmacAus; Nov 27, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobmacAus
They told me their deadline for releasing the seats (or not) was 10pm 29th Dec for the flight on 2nd Dec, and 10pm 30th Dec for the flight on 3rd Dec. Yep, simple and understood.
Sorry not sure of the answer for you but you've got your dates mixed up. You probably mean 29th NOVEMBER and 30th NOVEMBER.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:36 pm

Sorry not sure of the answer for you but you've got your dates mixed up. You probably mean 29th NOVEMBER and 30th NOVEMBER.
Oh yes you're right, fixed...thanks
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:50 pm

//but just hoping there is a precedent of them occasionally releasing them a day or two sooner than their deadline.

Nope. They have recent form just flying the seat empty than releasing to any redemption.

If you're going to buy a economy ticket, will it be CX? If yes, that's their motivation for flying Business empty - railroad time-inflexible travellers like you into paying $$$. Asia Miles isn't a space-available premium seat pool, it here to make as many members redeem iPads as possible.
friedablass likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:59 pm

//but just hoping there is a precedent of them occasionally releasing them a day or two sooner than their deadline.

Nope. They have recent form just flying the seat empty than releasing to any redemption.

If you're going to buy a economy ticket, will it be CX? If yes, that's their motivation for flying Business empty - railroad time-inflexible travellers like you into paying $$$. Asia Miles isn't a space-available premium seat pool, it here to make as many members redeem iPads as possible.
I will probably buy Qantas out of spite
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:05 pm

That's poor that they'd fly with a more than half empty business cabin. I can't log on to EF at the moment, but when I last looked I think there were 20+ empty seats on 3rd Dec. I'll keep my fingers crossed and only buy an economy ticket the very last minute I can (qantas)
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:25 am

Thanks for that.

I'm guessing OP can do that if he's willing to but he needs to go to TPE, no show is not an option.
Thanks. Actually going to TPE isnt an option, so back to square one, finding out if the Economy Standard Award has a chance to clear or not.

I subscribed to EF but I dont seem to be able to access any CX flight loadings - is it just me or am I doing something wrong? How do you pull these JxCxDx etc list otherwise? Alternatively is a gentle soul on this forum able to check the loading on CX611 on Fri-20-Dec-19?

Best,

Guillaume
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:39 pm

An question on Expert Flyer...

I'm waitlisted for CX150 BNE - HKG in Business class for 3rd December, only 3 days away now...last night EF showed 27 Available seats and I was feeling pretty good, and suddenly this morning they have blocked 14 seats (x), 10 show priority (p), with only 5 available.

Seems odd for there to be so many blocked seats suddenly? Could these be a temporary or are things looking grim for me now?

Any prior experience or knowledge on Blocked and Priority seats you could share is appreciated!
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by RobmacAus
An question on Expert Flyer...

I'm waitlisted for CX150 BNE - HKG in Business class for 3rd December, only 3 days away now...last night EF showed 27 Available seats and I was feeling pretty good, and suddenly this morning they have blocked 14 seats (x), 10 show priority (p), with only 5 available.

Seems odd for there to be so many blocked seats suddenly? Could these be a temporary or are things looking grim for me now?

Any prior experience or knowledge on Blocked and Priority seats you could share is appreciated!
Around 3 days prior to departure many/all seats will turn into blocked or priority on EF for Cathay.

In my experience, blocked seats are still unoccupied/unassigned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.