Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
MPO/AM operates 24/7 so don't worry about calling in on a weekend. Instant upgrade can only be requested at the airport when the check in counter opens for the flight. (The staff at MEL are okay...) At MEL airport, the ground staff can only process MEL-HKG for you. If you want to do MEL-HKG-JNB in one go you'd still have to call. If you can't do HKG-JNB then unfortunately it won't be 35k but 18k for MEL-HKG and another 25k for HKG-JNB.
Just tried calling about my expiring hold, and after over an hour of that terrible music, and what must have been 20 pitches for a Cathay Amex, the call dropped. Grrrr.

Is the call-center actually even open? Are there some hours in the day that they actually answer the phone?

Must say - for what I'd thought would be a relaxing treat for myself, organizing this upgrade is taking an awful lot of energy attention.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Eda Lam
thanks! Sigh. Looks like I have to pay for it
I also think your chances are slim. The dates you are eyeing coincide with the Golden Week in China (1-7 Oct), plus the Rugby World Cup is on in Japan starting on 20 Sep, so as Percy indicated, there will be lots of people travelling on and around those dates.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
Instant request for F seat with redeemed J seats at Check IN

holding confirmed J for CX881 on 29/4, now still F4 A4 on CX881 and F3 A3 on 28/4's CX883 on EF, is that possible for asking to reissue F on one of the flights at check in?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

Also, DMs here - I'm thinking if I could exercise my no ticketing deadline benefit to counter them but just don't want to create additional setbacks to our benefits.
go for it if thats ur right.

are u just going for a 1-leg upgrade... or u hv another leg to somewhere?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by derek2010
holding confirmed J for CX881 on 29/4, now still F4 A4 on CX881 and F3 A3 on 28/4's CX883 on EF, is that possible for asking to reissue F on one of the flights at check in?
Think it's only instant upgrade. No such concept of instant redemption (or am I mistaken?)?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
My feeling is that you can do it, but have to pay for the mileage difference and the cost of re-issuing the ticket. It may be easier in HKG than LAX too. You can bring that up at check-in. If they can do it, they will probably start the process at check-in, but you may have to finish it in the lounge or at the gate (assuming you are the mileage owner or if the mileage sponsor is traveling with you). You won't know unless you try.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
My feeling is that you can do it, but have to pay for the mileage difference and the cost of re-issuing the ticket. It may be easier in HKG than LAX too. You can bring that up at check-in. If they can do it, they will probably start the process at check-in, but you may have to finish it in the lounge or at the gate (assuming you are the mileage owner or if the mileage sponsor is traveling with you). You won't know unless you try.
That's what the 3888 agent suggested and claimed was possible at the airport when he said there was nothing he could do but let my waitlist slide on my F6A6 flight 26 hours before departure, but...

Originally Posted by kaka

go for it if thats ur right.

are u just going for a 1-leg upgrade... or u hv another leg to somewhere?
Yes I have a second leg with this award ticket, I am not sure if they can reissue it correctly at FRA airport (2nd leg in J, so this award will be converted to a mixed cabin one in case I get an F seat at the airport)...

therefore I'd love to hear if derek2010 is successful on his attempt. Hopefully you can report back (good news!) in a few hours from LAX airport. I could potentially supply another data point tomorrow from FRA...lol
jetsetter1k likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Any anecdotal experiences around waitlisted J seats clearing between HKG and MEL/SYD (outbound from HK)? There's pretty much zero availability on these routes for the rest of the year, but many dates have 2+ waitlisted seats available. I'm contemplating whether to take the plunge and transfer 70% of the required miles to waitlist and hope for the best, or is that just wishful thinking?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:02 am

I waitlisted two one-segment reservations. To my shock, both have now cleared, although they are in PE on tourist-heavy routes and the flights are mid-week.

Is it possible to combine both confirmed reservations into one record to take advantage of the distance-based award chart?

If not, can I amend one of the confirmed reservations to add another segment to it?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I waitlisted two one-segment reservations. To my shock, both have now cleared, although they are in PE on tourist-heavy routes and the flights are mid-week.

Is it possible to combine both confirmed reservations into one record to take advantage of the distance-based award chart?

If not, can I amend one of the confirmed reservations to add another segment to it?

Thanks
How far out from departure did they clear?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
How far out from departure did they clear?
Roughly 3-8 months out.
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:55 am

How many flights can I waitlist seats on at any given time? I'm flexible in terms of departure date so would like to waitlist 2x J seats on multiple flights within a given time span. What's the maximum, and does status matter? And I assume I only need 70% of the required miles for one redemption (as opposed to each individual waitlisted seat)?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
How many flights can I waitlist seats on at any given time? I'm flexible in terms of departure date so would like to waitlist 2x J seats on multiple flights within a given time span. What's the maximum, and does status matter? And I assume I only need 70% of the required miles for one redemption (as opposed to each individual waitlisted seat)?
Not sure what the limit is, but you can definitely have quite a few, as long as you have 70% of the required miles for the most expensive redemption.

The main limitation it seems is how quickly AM/MPC requires you to ticket a confirmed award.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Not sure what the limit is, but you can definitely have quite a few, as long as you have 70% of the required miles for the most expensive redemption.

The main limitation it seems is how quickly AM/MPC requires you to ticket a confirmed award.
Thank you! So basically it shouldn't matter whether I transfer cc points to my wife's (SL) or my (GR) account for the purpose of waitlisting a bunch of seats?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
therefore I'd love to hear if derek2010 is successful on his attempt. Hopefully you can report back (good news!) in a few hours from LAX airport. I could potentially supply another data point tomorrow from FRA...lol
(I asked) Sadly, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.