Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Premium economy long haul meals now no different to economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Hello people, just was wondering about food in PE.

Has CX enhanced away the food offerings in Premium Economy? I noticed the website no longer mentions that the main courses come from J, and after taking my first long haul flight(s) in PE last month, I observed that the meal options are exactly the same in Y (having needed to walk into the Y cabin to use the lavatories).

The food was meh to say the least, though at least the service was very good. I had my flight credited to MPC, and I was addressed by name the whole flight.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:25 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Interesting....which route was this on? I wonder if it was a route with the new Business Class service, and hence they didn't have J meals to model the Y+ meals on?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:42 am

Flew Y+ in Dec 2018 from HKG to SYD. Main meal was presented in a single tray, with starters, bread and dessert being same as Y.

The actual dish did appear to be different though. Y+ options were braised chicken w/ rice, beef tenderloin or pasta. Y instead had tomato meatballs w/ rice, some sort of fish or pasta.

For breakfast, Y+ had western option (bacon, sausage, egg, potatoes) or chinese dim sim collection. Tasted like a Y dish in quality, though I did not get to see what Y had.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by comcats
For breakfast, Y+ had western option (bacon, sausage, egg, potatoes) or chinese dim sim collection. Tasted like a Y dish in quality, though I did not get to see what Y had.
Sounds like you got the J breakfast...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVP
PY is always a single platter. The container is plastic vs aluminum in Y. PY long haul food is same as J but in PY plastic container.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:02 am

could be due to the pork supply thing - were your meals the same as the ones printed on the 'menu'?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:33 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
CX 840 Nov. 14 PY breakfast

When I took off the aluminum foil, this was the main breakfast dish...
The food served in PY during my long haul flight to JFK was appalling. The quality has gone down.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
This question seems to come up a lot. PE meals are definitely different than what is served in Y (for long haul). There have been occasions when my meal choice in PE is gone and I've asked for a Y main instead; it's always a different menu. In terms of food quality, it's similar to what is served in J but it's not identical.

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
When I took off the aluminum foil, this was the main breakfast dish...
The food served in PY during my long haul flight to JFK was appalling. The quality has gone down.
To be fair, the PE breakfast on CX has never been all that great. But that main looks like they shook it vigorously prior to serving. I've found CX western breakfast mains to be frequently underwhelming.

Some recent(ish) examples of PE breakfast meals I've had:

CX812 HKG-BOS: 26-Jan-2018

CX811 BOS-HKG: 18-May-2018
This is a dish they serve in J. Albeit, no Guilin chili sauce provided in PE.

CX812: HKG-BOS: 26-May-2018
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I recently flew YVR-HKG in PE and the meal was a disappointing experience. For breakfast, it was a Y breakfast. For lunch, all the main choices were gone by the time the cart got to me (this is with status too) and I was instead offered a Y beef dish. The flight attendant had the gall to tell me it's the same beef dish in Y and PE, when the one the lady across the aisle from me got clearly was better.

Sadly, this isn't atypical of my experience on CX. Seems most Y/PEY flights I take now have multiple irritants. They're usually small, but they do add up. The value of PEY just isn't there for me anymore...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swingaling
This question seems to come up a lot. PE meals are definitely different than what is served in Y (for long haul). There have been occasions when my meal choice in PE is gone and I've asked for a Y main instead; it's always a different menu. In terms of food quality, it's similar to what is served in J but it's not identical.

This was definitely true before, but the point of the OP is that from his observation in January, the meals were the same albeit different serving tray. And at the same time, the reference to receiving better catering on the CX website has disappeared. So not sure if it is something new to downgrade the catering now.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Unfortunately the CX business class meals are nothing to write home about either. There has been a noticeable drop in quality. IMO, it seems that AA, Lax/Hkg is a now better product and inflight crews seemed to have improved, as well.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Hello! I didn't realise that this became a thread...

I flew on HKG-LHR which is indeed a route that has the new J class meal. This was CX256. For our dinner, there was a choice of three things, namely, a vegetarian rigatoni pasta, a grilled beef dish with potatoes, and a chinese prawn dish with rice. For breakfast, the choices were either the omelette or a pork meatball congee or something along those lines though the congee didn't appear to have pork meatballs.

Having had to wait an excessive amount of time for the lavatories in Y (the new 10 abreast seating didn't help), I peeked at the physically smaller Y menu lying around in an unoccupied bulkhead Y seat, and had identical choices both for dinner and breakfast, which some subtle difference. When I went back after breakfast, I saw that the dishes looked the same as well, only that PEY had a marginally larger croissant than Y. Later, I found it curious that the website no longer says that the meal choices were from J.

That said, I did recall the meal being served on plastic as opposed to the foil in Y.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
Flew LAX-HKG in PEY over the weekend and the food was really nothing to write home about. Tbh I couldn't tell if it was from J or same with Y as I think they almost just serve the same quality of food anyway in varying degrees of size, sides and containers. The only thing that I now expect consistency with CX across classes is the bad quality that will end up on my meal tray.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fast03
Flew LAX-HKG in PEY over the weekend and the food was really nothing to write home about. Tbh I couldn't tell if it was from J or same with Y as I think they almost just serve the same quality of food anyway in varying degrees of size, sides and containers. The only thing that I now expect consistency with CX across classes is the bad quality that will end up on my meal tray.
This I agree very much with, though in regards to food in J, after flying a couple of weeks ago between MAN-HKG with the new service, I did see some improvements (especially compared to the meal I had in PEY)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:54 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Flew to SYD recently which doesn’t have the new J service, and the Y+ meals were definitely different to the Y meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.