Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX-888 HKG-(YVR)-JFK - can now access airport at YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I just took CX888 from HKG-YVR-JFK. There is no longer a holding pen. Transferring passengers were separated from the arriving passengers, went through an abbreviated CBSA process upstairs while the arriving passengers went downstairs, were rescreened by CATSA , and then released into the terminal. We Had enough time to relax in the lounge for a bit before we reboarded.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:08 pm

CX-888 HKG-(YVR)-JFK question

Has anyone who has flown this leg know whether through passengers to JFK are required to disembark in YVR and go through immigration etc?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Nope. This has countless posts which are found via searching.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Yes. You have to get off the plane, go through security and stay in a holding area in YVR. However, you still clear CBP in JFK. For the return CX889 (recoded as CX865?), everyone stays on board while cleaning team cleans the plane and crew change
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by shd9
Yes. You have to get off the plane, go through security and stay in a holding area in YVR. However, you still clear CBP in JFK. For the return CX889 (recoded as CX865?), everyone stays on board while cleaning team cleans the plane and crew change
To OP - Passengers can now access to the CX lounge/departure area after clearing security upon arrival at YVR and before heading to JFK, there's a thread that specifically discusses CX888 HKG to JFK (via YVR).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I’ve just merged a post to make this a new master thread about CX888
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
To OP - Passengers can now access to the CX lounge/departure area after clearing security upon arrival at YVR and before heading to JFK, there's a thread that specifically discusses CX888 HKG to JFK (via YVR).
Thanks for the clarification. Being able to enter YVR lounges certainly makes the flight more appealing.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

departing ex YVR

Originally Posted by shd9

Thanks for the clarification. Being able to enter YVR lounges certainly makes the flight more appealing.
I should have posted my question to this thread.

What is the current procedure for passengers originating from YVR? Go to a normal gate when boarding is called from the CX lounge or is there a separate area for passengers beginning the journey from YVR-JFK?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
I should have posted my question to this thread.

What is the current procedure for passengers originating from YVR? Go to a normal gate when boarding is called from the CX lounge or is there a separate area for passengers beginning the journey from YVR-JFK?
No separate area and in the last couple of times I always had a gate very close to the CX lounge.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
No separate area and in the last couple of times I always had a gate very close to the CX lounge.
What a great change from having to sit in that glassed in area. One of the problems I had a few times was the flight was delayed and I couldnt leave that special departure area to go back to the lounge!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
What a great change from having to sit in that glassed in area. One of the problems I had a few times was the flight was delayed and I couldnt leave that special departure area to go back to the lounge!
Unfortunately, as you might have heard, the flight will be axed in less than 5 months.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, as you might have heard, the flight will be axed in less than 5 months.
Thanks, I did see that, so sad that it has to happen.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:26 pm

Above, a poster mentioned you stay on the plane and another poster a few minutes later said you get off the plane. Not sure which is accurate.

inadvertently got booked on this flight. Only found out about the stopover due to driver asking me to confirm if I was coming from HKG or YVR.

Any recent experiences first hand if you get off in YVR and go through US customs and when you land in JFK it’s treated as a domestic flight? If so, would we have FL access? Do we stay on the plane?

thanks for your help.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88
Any recent experiences first hand if you get off in YVR and go through US customs and when you land in JFK it’s treated as a domestic flight? If so, would we have FL access? Do we stay on the plane?

thanks for your help.
You get off at YVR. You clear Canadian immigration at YVR and go airside directly. They have a special path for pax on CX888. You then clear US customs and immigration at JFK. This is not a regular Canada-US flight. No access to the FL.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:04 pm

You get off at YVR. You clear Canadian immigration at YVR and go airside directly. They have a special path for pax on CX888. You then clear US customs and immigration at JFK. This is not a regular Canada-US flight. No access to the FL.
thanks for the info. And this is most up to date first hand? Is there lounge access at YVR?

does CX ever open up F to AS on just that portion of the flight and could we upgrade or it has to be the whole flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.