Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dropping a leg and getting bags in HKG instead of travelling to Vietnam

Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP

Apologies in advance if this has been posted elsewhere but I've trawled through the Cathay threads and can't find the information.

I've booked one of the cheap DAD-JFK-DAD flights. My return to DAD goes through HKG. I'd like to fly home to London from HKG. If I don't take the HKG-DAD leg, will they release my luggage without repricing the ticket?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, should be no problem when you check in at JFK to short-check the bags to HKG only (make some excuse about needing to get an item to pass to someone in HK). Might be tricky to justify if the connection is close to MCT.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Yes, should be no problem when you check in at JFK to short-check the bags to HKG only (make some excuse about needing to get an item to pass to someone in HK). Might be tricky to justify if the connection is close to MCT.
Thanks for the swift response. My connection time is 2h45m. I'm not sure what the minimum is but just did a quick search and found a flight sold by Cathay from JFK-SGN with 1h10m connection and LHR-SGN with a 1h connection, which Cathay show as short connection, so should be fine. Will report back in a few months.

Last edited by driveswith; Jan 2, 2019 at 6:53 am Reason: New information
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL+CCR)
Has anyone experienced that CX recalculates the ticket price if you skip the last leg? I know - nobody can tell 100%...
Booked one of these great NYE-fares and would not mind to just leave in HKG on the way back as it would safe me to apply for a Vietnam visa.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ELLX
Has anyone experienced that CX recalculates the ticket price if you skip the last leg? I know - nobody can tell 100%...
Booked one of these great NYE-fares and would not mind to just leave in HKG on the way back as it would safe me to apply for a Vietnam visa.
CX will check for a visa when you board the first flight from the US to HKG.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AC E50K
Assuming your trip starts from Vietnam, don't you have to apply for it anyway?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by IBNR
They would also need one for the return flight or have a multiple entry one.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL+CCR)
Originally Posted by IBNR
Some nationalities are able to entry Vietnam without a Visa. Heres the but: another visa-free entry will only be possible >30 days after your last departure from Vietnam.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
CX will check for a visa when you board the first flight from the US to HKG.
What if you show itinerary/ticket for onward travel from Vietnam?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by driveswith
What if you show itinerary/ticket for onward travel from Vietnam?
It's a risky approach. You are dealing with a communist country with strict visa regulations and I wouldn't be booking fake trips to get around visa checking.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
It's a risky approach.
For a few dollars I won't take the risk then.

Perhaps you can answer something for me... Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question.

I am a UK citizen, British Foreign Office states the following regarding entering Vietnam "Until 30 June 2021, British Citizen passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa. For visits of up to 30 days, you can get an e-visa online before you travel."

Does that mean I don't need to apply for anything in advance or show any kind of visa if I am staying less than 15 days?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

UK citizens don't need a visa, but as posted above they also can't enter again within 30 days of leaving Vietnam. And CX does check this by flipping through your passport looking at every page and for Vietnam immigration stamps.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
UK citizens don't need a visa, but as posted above they also can't enter again within 30 days of leaving Vietnam. And CX does check this by flipping through your passport looking at every page and for Vietnam immigration stamps.
Ah. I fly back from NY 8 days after flying in. I assume I can just apply for an e-visa for my return trip then?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
I'd suggest to sent your luggage home by courier (maybe to your neighbours, just in case you do arrive home later then your luggage) and do only OLCI for the leg JFK-HKG. That way, you don't have to face the check-in desk handler with maybe nasty questions. Why do you, etc.

You still have a chance for the red beep at boarding though and CX insisting to check your passport for a proper VN visa at that moment.

Expect CX to be aware many of these lucky F/J passengers are trying to skip the last segment and CX may have a temporary enforcement on the VN visa check at the US departure, being checked in for the final leg or not.

There is no such thing like a free lunch, so to say.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:37 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cambo
You still have a chance for the red beep at boarding though and CX insisting to check your passport for a proper VN visa at that moment.
You definitely will get a red beep for a documents check. Using online check in and self printing of boarding passes doesn't stop CX from checking your documents. It's happened to me multiple times.
percysmith likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.