Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dropping a leg and getting bags in HKG instead of travelling to Vietnam

Dropping a leg and getting bags in HKG instead of travelling to Vietnam

Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
You definitely will get a red beep for a documents check. Using online check in and self printing of boarding passes doesn't stop CX from checking your documents. It's happened to me multiple times.
Yep, though when the document by its type and past verification allows access to HK, it might be a simple formality or no beep at all.

Whereas a documents check at manual check-in will raise the nasty "check-in of the final leg" question. Formally, at JFK, with only check-in until HKG, access to HK is to be checked. And with a HK passport and maybe a UK passport, that could be fine, without onward journey.

Or maybe cancel the lucky ticket, being not that lucky at all. 🤕
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Thanks both. If I get visa-free entry to catch the outbound and can apply for an e-visa visa for the return flight, I'll do that. Not worth playing about for $25.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
theres actually a better way to save money.

just shell out $6 - 8 for a VOA invitation letter. this is not a visa but allows you to apply for VOA upon arrival in Vietnam. Check-in agent will be happy with this letter.

Obviously will cost more and is more inconvenient than e-visa if you actually go to Vietnam. but otherwise its a cheap insurance policy.

i did this for insurance when attempting to use my abtc card for a leisure trip in SGN.
driveswith likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: cx diamond+, Hyatt diamond, Hilton diamond
just be careful on dropping the last leg - as it is breaking the rules of the ticket and has been widely reported over the years - that states roughly that all parts of the travel must be completed or the passenger risks the fare being re calculated and they poentially could request via the courts/legal means the payment difference. Its a way for poentially CX to reclaim some of the lost revenue on these error ticekts. CX is fully aware of who the travellers are and worst case scenrio is you don't want any legal issues linked to your passport when travelling thru HK in the future.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Stugots
just be careful on dropping the last leg - as it is breaking the rules of the ticket and has been widely reported over the years - that states roughly that all parts of the travel must be completed or the passenger risks the fare being re calculated and they poentially could request via the courts/legal means the payment difference. Its a way for poentially CX to reclaim some of the lost revenue on these error ticekts. CX is fully aware of who the travellers are and worst case scenrio is you don't want any legal issues linked to your passport when travelling thru HK in the future.
yes if i were CX i would probably make everyone fly the last leg.

but then again, what point does it accomplish apart from wasting another bum in seat to DAD. suppose they can potentially drive incremental revenue for the return leg DAD-xHKG- original destination, unless one chooses to go DAD -> onto original destination.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by driveswith
Thanks both. If I get visa-free entry to catch the outbound and can apply for an e-visa visa for the return flight, I'll do that. Not worth playing about for $25.

Not worth to pay $25 to fly First Class Return from Vietnam to New York with EY pricing??

(Audio)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:31 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Audio
Not worth to pay $25 to fly First Class Return from Vietnam to New York with EY pricing??

(Audio)
I think drivesmith is concluding that paying the $25 is worth it.
driveswith likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
... risks the fare being re calculated ....
Exactly - and DAD-HKG-JFK / JFK-HKG currently prices at over USD 30k (because the return is a one-way full fare F)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
You might imagine that where people manage to drop the last leg whilst a reprice is contractually possible an easy penalty for CX to impose would be to not credit (or reverse the credits) of any sectors flown to the nominated FFP.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: A3 G CZ S
Originally Posted by driveswith
Thanks for the swift response. My connection time is 2h45m. I'm not sure what the minimum is but just did a quick search and found a flight sold by Cathay from JFK-SGN with 1h10m connection and LHR-SGN with a 1h connection, which Cathay show as short connection, so should be fine. Will report back in a few months.

If I haven't make a mistake, the MCT in HKG is 50 mins, under the situation that your luggage is through checked, otherwise a 2h connection may be needed (it could take up to 1h to get your checked luggage in rush hour in HKG in worse case)
Also, base on my previous experience with CX, it may have potential issue for you in JFK if request to check in to HKG only. Once a time I bought a return J ticket of PVG-HKG-HND, and I requested to checked to HKG only on my return trip in HND (drop the rest HKG-PVG trip and leave in HK). However, it was rejected by CX Japanese ground crew, as well as her supervisor, simply stated it was not allowed according to my fare rule.
Eventually, I got 2 boarding pass (HND-HKG and HKG-PVG) and my luggage was through checked to PVG. After landed in HKG, I went to the transit counter in HKG and requested to drop my last HKG-PVG leg, sweetly they were nice to help to took out my luggage and didn't charge me anything, and it took me around 1h to get my checked luggage after the request.
Therefore, it all depend on the CX ground crew in JFK, In best case, they will help you to get the JFK-HKG and HKG-LHR boarding pass and checked your luggage to LHR. But in worst case, they may simply rejected your request and you need figure out how to get your luggage out in HKG.
driveswith likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by jansoncheng
...Therefore, it all depend on the CX ground crew in JFK, In best case, they will help you to get the JFK-HKG and HKG-LHR boarding pass and checked your luggage to LHR. But in worst case, they may simply rejected your request and you need figure out how to get your luggage out in HKG.
As suggested earlier: Courier your luggage home. Even with being checked in, you can walk out at HKG.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Is this a serious consideration? If so, it's a massive risk to take. Surely a significant number of people who booked these fares are planning to end their trip in HKG. Would the airline start pursuing all of them after honouring the tickets? Seems counterintuitive.

Originally Posted by plunet
You might imagine that where people manage to drop the last leg whilst a reprice is contractually possible an easy penalty for CX to impose would be to not credit (or reverse the credits) of any sectors flown to the nominated FFP.
Less concerned about losing the FFP's but still a major consideration.

Originally Posted by sxc
I think driveswith is concluding that paying the $25 is worth it.
Correct. Happy to pay a few dollars to do this right. Actually flying a leg I don't need is a different story.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cambo
As suggested earlier: Courier your luggage home. Even with being checked in, you can walk out at HKG.
Very interesting suggestion but won't work for me on this trip, as I'm not going straight home and will need my luggage with me on my travels.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Maybe just do hand carry only....
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfung
Maybe just do hand carry only....
I would if I could but need to take some things with me which won't fit. Even if I did though, people above are suggesting I could have an issue with CX recalculating the fare and suing me for the difference or withholding FFP's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.