FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1948453-credit-card-asia-miles-earning-opportunities-hk-2019-a.html)

dannyhk Jan 2, 19 6:49 am


Originally Posted by christep (Post 30598575)
This is interesting. Reviewing my "overseas" Paypal expenditure I find that it is not consistent. I have some that are marked as GB and some as HK in the statements. Similarly, Amazon can be all over the place (LU most recently for a GBP purchase). Can I be confident that if the country on my statement is not HK and the currency is not HKD then it counts as "overseas"?

But how can you know in advance what country any particular PayPal transaction is going to be billed from? Unless itís possible to figure out some pattern as to which types of ďoverseasĒ PayPal transactions are billed out of Hong Kong and which types are not, thereís always a risk youíll end up being billed out of Hong Kong and lose out on a lot of RewardCash if youíve opted for 6X Rewards on overseas spending.

itís a shame because, with all this online CC fraud, itís much safer to use PayPal. But, in terms of maximising your RewardCash (by avoiding any risk of being billed out of HK) seems youíre better off paying directly with an HSBC card on overseas websites?

BTW: Amazon UK is often LU because they book transactions out of Luxembourg as a tax dodge.

bmtsang Jan 2, 19 11:26 pm


Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30595783)
Mannings: 680 RC for $6,000 purchases https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...nter/mannings/
Red Hot Overseas and Online: 2% for overseas/online purchases https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...nding-rewards/ . (New feature) Further 2% if spending on Premier Mastercard
I-card 10X: extended to 30 June 2019

Only 6 months and 15K spending per quarter for the Premier MC...not sure if this is worth the hassle

percysmith Jan 2, 19 11:28 pm


Originally Posted by bmtsang (Post 30602615)
Only 6 months and 15K spending per quarter for the Premier MC...not sure if this is worth the hassle

12 months in 4 quarters

bmtsang Jan 2, 19 11:28 pm

I remember you can select the currency before you make the payment

percysmith Jan 2, 19 11:30 pm


Originally Posted by bmtsang (Post 30602621)
I remember you can select the currency before you make the payment

https://www.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/15295

But that is currency (which HSBC is indifferent to). Not location <-- tell me how to pick that.

bmtsang Jan 2, 19 11:48 pm

Isn't Paypal overseas?

bmtsang Jan 2, 19 11:49 pm

Oops sorry I misread the deadline until 30 June. It was for i-card

percysmith Jan 2, 19 11:52 pm


Originally Posted by bmtsang (Post 30602663)
Isn't Paypal overseas?

Not all the time https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30598575-post14.html

barracuda93 Jan 4, 19 7:17 am

Can anyone confirm whether ATM cash withdrawals via Curve card are still viewed as purchases by Citibank HK or as cash-advances (after recent change in Curve processing)? Which MCC you get for such withdrawals?

kawaii Jan 5, 19 2:49 am

query: given this footnote:

"Up to 6.4% RewardCash rebate is equivalent to up to 16X RewardCash. HSBC Premier MasterCard Credit Card cardholders who have registered for the 'Red Hot Rewards of Your Choice' programme and allocated an extra 5 times RewardCash to either the 'China Spending' or the 'Overseas Spending' category, in addition to the basic 1 time RewardCash and the extra 10 times RewardCash earned under this promotion, will receive 'up to 16 times RewardCash' on overseas transactions during the promotional period. Please visit www.hsbc.com.hk/rewards for details of 'Red Hot Rewards of Your Choice' programme."

I presume this means that if you have "China Spending", the overseas transaction will have to be RMB, right? Or is this a case where any overseas transaction will count as long as you have allocated to EITHER China or Overseas spending? I assume the former but I think the latter could be a reasonable interpretation as well.

CXYYZ Jan 5, 19 2:56 am


Originally Posted by kawaii (Post 30612726)
query: given this footnote:

"Up to 6.4% RewardCash rebate is equivalent to up to 16X RewardCash. HSBC Premier MasterCard Credit Card cardholders who have registered for the 'Red Hot Rewards of Your Choice' programme and allocated an extra 5 times RewardCash to either the 'China Spending' or the 'Overseas Spending' category, in addition to the basic 1 time RewardCash and the extra 10 times RewardCash earned under this promotion, will receive 'up to 16 times RewardCash' on overseas transactions during the promotional period. Please visit www.hsbc.com.hk/rewards for details of 'Red Hot Rewards of Your Choice' programme."

I presume this means that if you have "China Spending", the overseas transaction will have to be RMB, right? Or is this a case where any overseas transaction will count as long as you have allocated to EITHER China or Overseas spending? I assume the former but I think the latter could be a reasonable interpretation as well.

The overseas spending bonus applies to both RMB and non-China spending. My understanding is that this wording is only to explain how to get to the "up to 16x" - i.e. if you set your category to China spending, you would need to be spending in China and if you set your category to overseas, you would need to be spending outside of HK/China. If you haven't chosen one of those categories, you can never achieve the full 16x but you would still be entitled to the bonus RC.

hubestar Jan 6, 19 4:57 am

Percy, one question and one comment on the wiki.

Comment: we can now pay Towngas bills via Alipay HK

Question: for HKE and now Towngas, why settle Alipay HK with DBS Black when these are considered online transactions so we can settle with CCB Eye to earn HK$3/AM?

percysmith Jan 6, 19 6:28 am

The 75,000 limit. But otherwise, OK

hubestar Jan 6, 19 8:30 pm

Check and make sure you received miles from the July/Aug/Sept Stan Chart promotion - miles were supposed to be awarded in December. Called SCB today, they swear they have transferred miles to my account. I had to capture and email screenshots of my Asia Miles account to prove that I have not received the miles.

I hope it's only me, but check if you are not sure.

svellmann Jan 6, 19 11:28 pm

Got mine on November 5.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:46 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.