FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1948453-credit-card-asia-miles-earning-opportunities-hk-2019-a.html)

percysmith Mar 8, 2019 5:23 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30861504)
Yes but sometimes with a piss-weak limit e.g. BEA $1,500 I think. SCB allows large transfers based solely on 2FA.

Just a quick summary of FPS limits:

CCB: cannot FPS by app or online without prior branch registration
BEA: app $1,500/day, website $50,000/day
HSB: app $100,000/day
HSBC: app $400,000/day
BoC: app $500,000/day
SCB: app $10,000/day, website $100,000/day

Nowadays I just route all my money to HSBC and have HSBC transfer to third party.
Used to be only SCB who has this functionality thru website in ECG days.

percysmith Mar 8, 2019 5:33 am

Originally Posted by zeltergiset (Post 30860765)
The HSBC ATM card doesn't work outside of Hong Kong, so you have to link it to a credit card for overseas withdrawals (and in my experience there is a good chance of being charged cash withdrawal fees depending on how the overseas ATM processes the transaction, which you then have to call to waive, etc). It's a faff. No such issues with Citi.

is it a Unionpay?

zeltergiset Mar 8, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30861852)
is it a Unionpay?

I think so, but don't have it to hand.

My understanding might be outdated. I just remember HSBC telling me when I first moved to HK (2015) that my ATM card is EPS and so can't be used in overseas ATMs, and that if I wanted to withdraw cash I would have to link one of my credit cards and use that instead. I'm guessing from the posts above that this is no longer true?

barracuda93 Mar 8, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30861039)
Citi pros
Only bank to entertain account opening request from passport holders

SC opens accounts without HKID as well. As I can figure out, any bank in fact can, but HSBC may traditionally be difficult to deal with (who needs it anyway).

To add some info:
SC has duel currency CUP debit card (which might be useful for China), as well as Maestro debit card (HKD-only). I assume these cannot be used online however.
Citi has only MasterCard debit cards now (Visa cards are gone).

percysmith Mar 8, 2019 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by zeltergiset (Post 30862403)
I think so, but don't have it to hand.

My understanding might be outdated. I just remember HSBC telling me when I first moved to HK (2015) that my ATM card is EPS and so can't be used in overseas ATMs, and that if I wanted to withdraw cash I would have to link one of my credit cards and use that instead. I'm guessing from the posts above that this is no longer true?

Think whoever from HSBC told you that made a misrepresentation to get commission from new credit card

The default ATM card gives out now is Unionpay. It works overseas if you enable overseas withdrawal capability before departure.

Hsbc charges lower per-withdrawal fees on Unionpay ($20 vs $40)

On request (and HSBC doesn't make this easy) HSBC will give out stand-alone (Visa) PLUS ATM cards. The per-withdrawal fee is double of Unionpay but far more overseas ATMs (particularly those in places Mainland Chinese don't go) will take PLUS.

PLUS is not Visa Debit however. Also you will still need to enable overseas withdrawal before you go.

percysmith Mar 8, 2019 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 30853315)
Looks like they misadvertise it as x8 points – there is nothing near x8, though the promo is still good.

6X

percysmith Mar 8, 2019 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by calf613 (Post 30857816)
Apologies if I missed this topic in one or more earlier posts (did not find anything after a quick search), but I am running into an issue withdrawing funds from O! ePay to my bank account. CS advised that this was due to DDA being blocked on HKMA orders, but that I could still transfer out to a bank via P2P payments (which it looks like use FPS). Did anyone else encounter this same issue? Anything to be alert to as to fees, transfer limits, etc., that may differ from the old transfer method?

No real difference - you're allowed to withdraw as much as you want as Pro, and the fee is 0.5% of the amount over $5,000

To me it's the interface.
DDA format is simpler - you type in the amount you want to withdraw, you're told the fee, and if you're OK with it the sum of the two are withdrawn. If the sum is less than your balance your application is rejected and you have to lower your withdrawal.

FPS is confusing. You type in a proposed withdrawal amount and you are told the fee on that proposed amount. But if you're account doesn't have that much money the transaction goes ahead anyway - the fee is the amount you agreed to, but the amount you proposed to withdraw will be adjusted to the amount you actually have left after deduction of the fee. So in order not to incur excessive fees you have to do a manual check to make sure the sum does not exceed your balance.

calf613 Mar 11, 2019 1:51 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30864820)

No real difference - you're allowed to withdraw as much as you want as Pro, and the fee is 0.5% of the amount over $5,000

To me it's the interface.
DDA format is simpler - you type in the amount you want to withdraw, you're told the fee, and if you're OK with it the sum of the two are withdrawn. If the sum is less than your balance your application is rejected and you have to lower your withdrawal.

FPS is confusing. You type in a proposed withdrawal amount and you are told the fee on that proposed amount. But if you're account doesn't have that much money the transaction goes ahead anyway - the fee is the amount you agreed to, but the amount you proposed to withdraw will be adjusted to the amount you actually have left after deduction of the fee. So in order not to incur excessive fees you have to do a manual check to make sure the sum does not exceed your balance.

I see - thank you, that is helpful. Just to confirm, does that mean if I enter a withdrawal of HK$1k, it will deposit HK$1k in my account net of the 0.5% fee (so HK$995 in my bank account and HK$5 as the fee), or that it will charge me the HK$5 fee in addition to the HK$1k withdrawal (both deducted from my O! ePay account)?

percysmith Mar 15, 2019 10:39 pm

CCB 3X10X extended

China Construction Bank (Asia) - Credit Card - Overseas Purchases, Online Purchases, Spending through Apple Pay and Sports, Entertainment and Apparel Spending Bonus Point Rewards Promotion
https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum.../14245?page=14

New adverse rule: min $200 now...

percysmith Mar 16, 2019 1:11 am

Originally Posted by calf613 (Post 30871842)
I see - thank you, that is helpful. Just to confirm, does that mean if I enter a withdrawal of HK$1k, it will deposit HK$1k in my account net of the 0.5% fee (so HK$995 in my bank account and HK$5 as the fee), or that it will charge me the HK$5 fee in addition to the HK$1k withdrawal (both deducted from my O! ePay account)?

Well let's say I ask to FPS 6,000 instead (I now have that much from my AAVS accumulations) and there is at least $6,005 in my account
The first 5,000 is free
The last 1,000 is charged at 0.5% or $5
So 6,005 will be taken from my Oepay account and $6,000 will be credited into my bank account linked by FPS

dannyhk Mar 25, 2019 2:19 am

MCC for Deliveroo?

Does anyone know if Deliveroo is classified as dining under the Visa/MC MCC codes?

I see previous threads established that Foodpanda is not. But couldn't find anything definitive on Deliveroo.

percysmith Mar 25, 2019 4:23 am

Originally Posted by dannyhk (Post 30926349)
Does anyone know if Deliveroo is classified as dining under the Visa/MC MCC codes?

I see previous threads established that Foodpanda is not. But couldn't find anything definitive on Deliveroo.

bmtsang於2019年03月22日 02:05 PM發表
That means Deliveroo is considered dining?

力仔 yes

https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum.../18510?page=10 #231

dannyhk Mar 25, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30926560)
bmtsang於2019年03月22日 02:05 PM發表
That means Deliveroo is considered dining?

力仔 yes

https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forum.../18510?page=10 #231

Many thanks, very interesting. In that case, maybe CCB Tiramisu/Tastie is the way to go for Deliveroo for possible 6X points? When I used CCB Tastie in restaurants overseas, the 3X dining points on CCB Tastie/Tiramisu stacked with the 3X overseas points. So I guess its possible the 3X dining points on CCB Tastie/Tiramisu may also stack with 3X online points as well for Deliveroo orders of $200 (and save the CCB Eye 5X points quota for other online spending).

percysmith Mar 25, 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by dannyhk (Post 30926793)
Many thanks, very interesting. In that case, maybe CCB Tiramisu/Tastie is the way to go for Deliveroo for possible 6X points? When I used CCB Tastie in restaurants overseas, the 3X dining points on CCB Tastie/Tiramisu stacked with the 3X overseas points. So I guess its possible the 3X dining points on CCB Tastie/Tiramisu may also stack with 3X online points as well for Deliveroo orders of $200 (and save the CCB Eye 5X points quota for other online spending).

5x

I didn't know dining worked overseas. Thank you.

Deliveroo should stack too.

Bezarius Apr 5, 2019 2:48 am

Hi fellow Flyertalk members,

I just recently moved to Hong Kong from Singapore for work and am in the process of applying for a credit card. Recently got into the air miles game too! I successfully opened a bank account with Citibank and all, so would like to seek some advice if there are any ongoing promotion right now for credit card applications that would be good. I don't have a credit card report yet, so was wondering if there are any CCs out there that have a good welcome offer and is easier to get approval for? Currently I am of the mind to just apply for a Citi Rewards card to get my credit card report going (hopefully the fact that I bank with them makes it easier to approve) but happy to hear any thoughts on any other CC that is worth considering! Reason being that I would think

Many thanks in advance!