Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Any experience changing a Priceline reservation? They don't seem to allow you to change online. I'm considering a change but not sure if I will actually need to change so I don't want to spend time calling up just yet.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
Any experience changing a Priceline reservation? They don't seem to allow you to change online. I'm considering a change but not sure if I will actually need to change so I don't want to spend time calling up just yet.
the PL people are total idiots. I've had no luck whatsoever so am considering the next steps
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yerffej201
the PL people are total idiots. I've had no luck whatsoever so am considering the next steps
As I feared.

Are they just being generally uncooperative/incompetent or citing lack of inventory?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:10 pm

As I feared.

Are they just being generally uncooperative/incompetent or citing lack of inventory?
they seem unable to reprice using historical fares and default to the current price. They do see the A/J seats (which I would assume means they're using a US POS - same as EF). they offer to contact the cx agency desk but I doubt cx will be very willing to help. The fare rules seem to allow this, depending on how ambiguously the "best fare" phrase is interpreted and that they can reprice using scenario 1, 2, OR 3. However, after departure, the terms seem to be pretty clear about pricing. I plan to fly the outbound, and then see if I can change it. Now again I'm not intimately familiar with reading fare rules so I could be completely wrong.

----------------
BEFORE DEPARTURE
----------------
RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST
FARE TO PASSENGER -
1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS -
USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND
NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN
THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR
2. IF SAME ROUTING BUT DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS -
USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND
NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
PREVIOUS TICKET OR
3. USE ANY CURRENT CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND
NEW
TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE
PREVIOUS TICKET.
---------------
AFTER DEPARTURE
---------------
RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST
FARE TO PASSENGER -
1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY
CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW
TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE
PREVIOUS TICKET OR
2. USE ANY HISTORICAL CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND
NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN
THE PREVIOUS TICKET.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:29 pm

No show fee for recent error fares?

I have YVR-HKG then HKG-HAN) booked as part of the recent RT error fares in class code A. Not planning on showing up for either of them.

For the first leg terms found on EF indicate a 200 CAD no-show fee plus 100 CAD change fee. Is that correct? Any way around this?

Here is the relevant section of fare bucket terms:
Spoiler

Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
I hope you do not show up. Maybe they will take your fee and buy a bottle of Krug for me to enjoy on YVR-HKG!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by selwyn.murphy
I have YVR-HKG then HKG-HAN) booked as part of the recent RT error fares in class code A. Not planning on showing up for either of them.

For the first leg terms found on EF indicate a 200 CAD no-show fee plus 100 CAD change fee. Is that correct? Any way around this?

Spoiler

promotional fares.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

promotional fares.
What?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Spoiler

Why no show vs. just cancel?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:54 pm

Why no show vs. just cancel?
Because cancelling would involve a fee. I'm hoping there's a way to avoid fees entirely with a no-show instead.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Because cancelling would involve a fee. I'm hoping there's a way to avoid fees entirely with a no-show instead.
Right, I guess for that matter, does anyone know if there is any money back for canceling after flying half of the trip? My guess is $0, given that when I booked on the CX website, the return leg cost $0 (all of the cost was on the first leg).
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Privilege Club
Has anybody successfully changed their dates for free? I have a DAD-HKG-JFK EWR-HKG-DAD ticket with booking classes J,A,C,C and would like to change the last leg (HKG-DAD) to a later date.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
I have managed to book my positioning flight to HAN, and will spend one night in Hanoi staying at the Hilton Hotel.
The following day, I am doing HAN-HKG-JFK // 3 hours turn around in JFK-HKG-HAN. I am planning to miss the flight in HKG, and continue on to DOH on QR. Will it be a problem "over" staying in either The Pier og The Wing lounge ?
My QR flight departs at 19:00 hours so I will eventually have 12-13 hours in the First Class lounges before proceeding to the QR-Doha Transit stop.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:30 am

As a regular paid CX flyer I was already unhappy that CX sold what were clearly mistake fares and honoured them on what seemed to be a large scale.
Now I find myself needing to push back the U.S. leg of a multi-carrier award ticket by just a few days. However, Marco Polo informs me that there is zero F availability HKG-JFK between now and mid-August (when the ticket expires). Being unable to change the U.S. flight date means that it will be a no-show and the subsequent sectors, for which I redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles, will be forfeited. The only solution Cathay offers is to waitlist which in my experience is unlikely to throw up a seat. So Cathay's decision to fill a large part of its F inventory with non-Cathay loyalists flying on what they mostly know to be a mistake fare turns out to be very damaging for the feeling about Cathay of a Hong Kong based near weekly Cathay passenger like myself.
prw555 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
As a regular paid CX flyer I was already unhappy that CX sold what were clearly mistake fares and honoured them on what seemed to be a large scale.
Now I find myself needing to push back the U.S. leg of a multi-carrier award ticket by just a few days. However, Marco Polo informs me that there is zero F availability HKG-JFK between now and mid-August (when the ticket expires). Being unable to change the U.S. flight date means that it will be a no-show and the subsequent sectors, for which I redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles, will be forfeited. The only solution Cathay offers is to waitlist which in my experience is unlikely to throw up a seat. So Cathay's decision to fill a large part of its F inventory with non-Cathay loyalists flying on what they mostly know to be a mistake fare turns out to be very damaging for the feeling about Cathay of a Hong Kong based near weekly Cathay passenger like myself.
how about business? I would take one leg business class instead of losing the rest of flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.