Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Robbie0129
I called HK headquarter three times already, they say this is a special case, so any changes means repricing.
Incorrect, at least to an extent: I am able to change to different flights on the same date as originally booked without a reprice. I have also seen other posters confirm that they were able to change dates for the inbound without a reprice, although one poster did say that this was "at the end of the year" and that he only changed a ticket for 1 pax.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i can't see how CX can deny passengers the change without repricing

its part of the original contract and they have chosen to honour it.. its not as if they came out and said we will cancel the original contract and / or renegotiate some terms...

so it should be read in its entirety in my view..
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Is there a forum specifically on the data points/advice for changes to this Cathay error fare? Here is my question, I begin my ticket HAN-HKG-SFO in A class, the second leg is late in day on 13th of Jan, is there a chance I can go earlier without rebooking fee? That leg will be on Cathay Dragon not Cathay Pacific so I am assuming I would be under their rules. I would not mind being downgraded, just want to have more time to meet a friend in HKG.

Next question. What would I need to leave INT in HKG and meet on other side or even go to restaurant in town, in terms of visa, cost, etc? THX
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Check the thread in the Mileage Run Discussion forum.

tl;dr
Generally, changes are available at historical fare plus the rebooking fee (~100USD for A class), but only if there is A class availability (you must search using married segments VN-HKG-USA).
Otherwise changes are available at fare difference + fee.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by ft543
Check the thread in the Mileage Run Discussion forum.

tl;dr
Generally, changes are available at historical fare plus the rebooking fee (~100USD for A class), but only if there is A class availability (you must search using married segments VN-HKG-USA).
Otherwise changes are available at fare difference + fee.
Does that apply to Cathay Dragon, and same day stand by or confirmed? THX
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:46 am

sadly A space is super limited
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
sadly A space is super limited
I'm trying to change the HAN HKG leg though that is in J. I want to keep my original portion in A. Does that make a difference?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I managed to change both my inbound and outbound (which, fortunately, will mean less of a worry for me about connecting off DL at JFK, as outlined earlier). Interestingly, it was $99 to change only the inbound, but $85 to change both the outbound and inbound.

Originally Posted by tobikosan
I'm trying to change the HAN HKG leg though that is in J. I want to keep my original portion in A. Does that make a difference?
What do you mean exactly? Are you wanting to make sure your HKG-North America segment remains in A, while only changing the HAN-HKG?
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
except cathay clearly says they will only honor this ticket if you dont make any changes.
I called HK headquarter three times already, they say this is a special case, so any changes means repricing.
This is standard for error fares which are honored.

Originally Posted by ermen
i can't see how CX can deny passengers the change without repricing

its part of the original contract and they have chosen to honour it.. its not as if they came out and said we will cancel the original contract and / or renegotiate some terms...

so it should be read in its entirety in my view..
CX's voluntarily choosing to honor the fare is not the same as any type of legal obligation to honor it. Remember, for tickets controlled by USDOT regulations, CX can simply choose to refund your ticket now that everyone agrees that it was a mistake.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by danger
I managed to change both my inbound and outbound (which, fortunately, will mean less of a worry for me about connecting off DL at JFK, as outlined earlier). Interestingly, it was $99 to change only the inbound, but $85 to change both the outbound and inbound.

What do you mean exactly? Are you wanting to make sure your HKG-North America segment remains in A, while only changing the HAN-HKG?
Yes. Just trying to make the first leg earlier in the day, though I now see there is only one KA flight HAN to HKG per day, or even go a day earlier. Thx
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Yes. Just trying to make the first leg earlier in the day, though I now see there is only one KA flight HAN to HKG per day, or even go a day earlier. Thx
I'm pretty sure there are two: KA296 (departs in the late morning) and KA294 (departs close to 8pm).
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This is standard for error fares which are honored.

CX's voluntarily choosing to honor the fare is not the same as any type of legal obligation to honor it. Remember, for tickets controlled by USDOT regulations, CX can simply choose to refund your ticket now that everyone agrees that it was a mistake.
This is nonsense, CX either kept the contract or nulled the contract as an error. They said they were honoring the fare with no caveats, thus, they can't pick and choose which part of the contract to keep and which to ignore after the fact.

As has been mentioned by myself and many others, this fare allows changes pre-departure for $100 at historical prices if the routing does not change and the fare class is available. If CX requires a reprice contrary to the agreed upon contract, a complaint should be sent to the DoT.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Some people just don’t know how to be grateful....too greedy and just bought whatever dates thinking they can change it later. Why can’t people accept that this was an exceptional case and that CX was generous enough by honoring the fares.

tfung, fairhsa, QRC3288 and 13 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
CX is releasing C/D and A fares now! I can rebook for less than 200USD. Avail is little as you would expect.
Another note, anyone knows if these tickets allow name change?
Name changes not allowed.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Trying going to the CX website and clicking on change, then selecting the same date as your existing outbound. It may give you other options on that day. Alternatively, you may have to call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.