Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:27 pm
Suspended

https://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea...-direct-turns/

Wonder if this will affect some folks.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
https://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea...-direct-turns/

Wonder if this will affect some folks.
Indeed it will. I made the mistake of booking a very short turn (55 minutes) in Da Nang. I've messaged the Cathay social media team, but I'm not sure how it will work out.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dukewake
Indeed it will. I made the mistake of booking a very short turn (55 minutes) in Da Nang. I've messaged the Cathay social media team, but I'm not sure how it will work out.
why would you message Cathay Social Media Team for? It's not like they can change Vietnam's immigration policy.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
why would you message Cathay Social Media Team for? It's not like they can change Vietnam's immigration policy.
Based on the blog post and other info about it thus far, it's unclear to me whether it's truly illegal, or whether it's just not possible given the lack of a transfer desk at DAD. And if it is illegal, then I'm hoping they might allow me to change or cancel without a fee. Probably wishful thinking, but we'll see.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:49 pm

Based on the blog post and other info about it thus far, it's unclear to me whether it's truly illegal, or whether it's just not possible given the lack of a transfer desk at DAD. And if it is illegal, then I'm hoping they might allow me to change or cancel without a fee. Probably wishful thinking, but we'll see.
The best person to ask if not Cathay Pacific but Vietnam Immigration. I think passengers should be responsible enough to do their own research...
jona970318 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:50 pm

And if it is illegal, then I'm hoping they might allow me to change or cancel without a fee. Probably wishful thinking, but we'll see.
Give an inch and people take a mile...yeah
jona970318, Jackolee and HaikalS like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: A3 G CZ S

A better idea is to rebook your positioning flight and get a Vietnam visa to avoid the issue
HaikalS likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by navylad

As I said Upthread, loyal frequent flyers represent only a small percentage of the business (I could make up a random figure to support an argument like some have done on this thread but I wont). Across programmes, only 1 in 5 members of loyalty programmes are active, or which only 2% are equivalent of Emerald. This number is tiny compared to the number of people moved daily by a major airline such as CX and those not tied in to loyalty programmes find it far easier to switch airlines and airlines therefore have to work harder to attract and retain their business. Having said that, obviously those small number of elite flyers do spend money- but as demonstrated this is mostly at the marginal profit margins, those who can afford F bucket fares dont need to worry about airline loyalty.
Accorinding to Cathay's most recent interim report, Marco Polo Members contribute almost a quarter of revenues for Cathay Pacific's and Dragon's operations.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by hew204
Accorinding to Cathay's most recent interim report, Marco Polo Members contribute almost a quarter of revenues for Cathay Pacific's and Dragon's operations.
I'm guessing there is a reason why Cathay Pacific puts emphasis in delivering top notch service to DMs.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It appears any attempt to change the dates of these tickets WILL require a reprice:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...l#post30607409
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Have been following the discussion on the sidelines but besides the mentioned impact on redemption and upgrade certs, to add salt to wound for elites like us, I suspect some people who bought multiple tickets will obtain the same hard earned statuses as ours, enjoy same benefits and potentially further lowering our waitlisting chances.
This crossed my mind as well. However, after thinking further, I believe this group of people will be very small. Most of the people who took advantage of this and who travel enough to get elite status will most likely be crediting to partner OW programs or AS. It is probably only a handful of low tier MPC members that really exploited this in order to reach DM status.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Presumably award space in J and F is going to be pretty scarce for the next 12 months or so....
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Presumably award space in J and F is going to be pretty scarce for the next 12 months or so....
This is my biggest concern (but only if you care about trans pacific routes).

I don't understand why Cathay is even honoring these tickets. But if that's the decision they've made, they can reduce their exposure by converting these mispriced tickets to award tickets and not offer any redeemable miles/segment credit. They should also only honor one mispriced ticket per passenger name and cancel the rest.
beach86 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
I suspect that before making the decision to honor the fares, CX, like all major companies, crunched all of the numbers and felt the benefit (goodwill) exceeded the potential losses. Whether or not they're correct, is another issue. Given this company's history with hedging, they appear more like a contrarian indicator, when it comes to placing the future into the service of the present. However, given the mistake, either choice would be a bad (wrong) one; but, what's important is that they make a decision quickly, and without any hesitation or backtracking. Either way, CX would be criticized, and, with hindsight analysis, whatever they do will prove "wrong."

However, two things can be true at the same time: (1) those who bought these fares got a great deal, and should feel good about the value they've captured; (2) those HKG flyers who are "captive" or those who (like myself) may have their HKF - JFK routes adversely affected, while bearing NO ill-will towards the first group, may rightfully feel a tad aggrieved. In either case, it's only for a part of 2019, and there are other options, though, admittedly, none as convenient as CX from HKG to NA.
I like the way you talk
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by Visconti
I suspect that before making the decision to honor the fares, CX, like all major companies, crunched all of the numbers and felt the benefit (goodwill) exceeded the potential losses. Whether or not they're correct, is another issue. Given this company's history with hedging, they appear more like a contrarian indicator, when it comes to placing the future into the service of the present. However, given the mistake, either choice would be a bad (wrong) one; but, what's important is that they make a decision quickly, and without any hesitation or backtracking. Either way, CX would be criticized, and, with hindsight analysis, whatever they do will prove "wrong."

However, two things can be true at the same time: (1) those who bought these fares got a great deal, and should feel good about the value they've captured; (2) those HKG flyers who are "captive" or those who (like myself) may have their HKF - JFK routes adversely affected, while bearing NO ill-will towards the first group, may rightfully feel a tad aggrieved. In either case, it's only for a part of 2019, and there are other options, though, admittedly, none as convenient as CX from HKG to NA.
Quite surprised actually to see that those who affected the most (frequent flyers of J/F class on the routes) didn't feel that they also deserve something from Cathay.....

I am beginning to understand why Cathay can be so harsh to its MPC members, compare to all the other oneworld FFP's. Why not squeeze up until the last straw.....?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.