Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:57 am

And I don’t care what you paid. You can pay 700k AS miles, it is still not 10k or whatever you are saying that cx is getting. They shoukd change it to Y and make you pay $250 if you want miles refund or rebook. How about that?

You are being ridiculous trying to change the class after the fact and want to charge people money for getting downgrade. Don’t get it twisted. CX is neither friend nor foe. They run a business, if they do stupid thing, why do you want to punish the ones buying it?
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
It is rather interesting rereading this thread after the facts have become clear.

As as I said in my previous post this is business and Cathay has to weigh up the risks and benefits of any action.

Whilst loyalty is important to any airline, the vast majority of revenue does not come from those who are loyal and the risks of any loss of loyalty would have been factored in to the decision; a handful might say that they will stop using the airline as a result, but few actually will. Most will consider it a disappointing blip in 2019, particularly if the reasons are understood. There are of course options to use benefits on other routes.

The airlines reputation is important, the honouring of the Honk Kong mistake fare and the positive publicity gained by the airline was no doubt noticed by CX.

Anyone me who is suggesting a cancellation charge is levied following an unagreed change in contract really is not displaying any understanding of business sense.

The fare was highlighted on several threads on FT and was open to all, you could have booked the flight yourself; but in any case sometimes in the game of frequent flying sometimes you luck in and sometimes you luck out.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I will declare that I got the good (bought 2 SGNJFK myself and would probably put myself in position for between a double/triple DM renewal in 2019) but at the same time the bad and ugly (looks like a US flight I was looking to apply a BUD on in mid 2019 has had its A inventory (ie my BUD cert as well) cannibalized because of this), so I’m not sure what to make of this and not particularly overjoyed that they decided to honor this just yet...I can just feel sorry and how bad some of our fellow high yielding/fare paying DMs may feel here. Penalizing DMs from using our hard earned coveted certs (or limitedly splurging on A fares) because of this...well...makes me feel rather dismayed at the same time. Guess I can’t have my cake and eat it!

PS I don’t have much sympathy from mileage redeemers complaining however. These tickets IMO are not exactly any more ‘superior’ either...
Is A inventory fixed? I want to apply BUDs to the cheapo J tickets I bought, but my flights are all F3/4 A0. Yes, I know I've been given an inch and am taking a mile...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by londonexpert

and change to which airline?
if you dont get fixed on OW world opens up...

europe can be accessed by any of ME3 or Finnair or BA to start
south can be SQ or Qantas
NA can be Jal ANA DL and bunch of other airlines connectinf
Asia on rEspective home airline.of destination.

once i moved onto cheapest to deliver J it opens up a lot of vision...
percysmith and HarbourGent like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fakecd
pretty impressed. but they have set a bad precedent for themsleves now.... next time it happens if it goes to court this will be a.precedent on behalf of claimant.

to all those DMs... it sends you a clear message... CX cares.about it petty public relations and look good at cost of your geuine business. they value those arbing backpackers than your past xxx Years of loyalty and hard cash... go decide urself if this is airline u want to stick to.
You misunderstand what "precedent" means in the context of a court case.

All this means is that on this date, on this fare, and set of routes, CX honored its error. It has not suggested or admitted that it had any legal obligation to do so.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Does anyone have any actual figures about how many seats (ideally F seats) were actually sold? I recall the 50pct of N. America tickets figure quoted above, but certainly that can't be correct if they're honoring the tickets?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Quite shocking to read how those who purchased these tickets are being thoroughly maligned on this forum!

Greedy, poorly behaved riffraff who belong in steerage class are invading the front of the plane!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

Relax everyone.
smitty06 and navylad like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Greedy, poorly behaved riffraff who belong in steerage class are invading the front of the plane!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!
Just to make abundantly clear, this quote is definitely not fair to those of us displeased at the situation, nor does it represent my views or logic above about why I'm disappointed. Saying something like this is a cliched way to shove the real issues under the mattress.

I've already diversified as much business away from CX as possible. But I am a captive HK flyer. I am loyal to the MPC program and Asia Miles, fly on A fares, and burn upgrade certs CX gives us for flying 33pct more than Diamond (at 1600 CP). And most of my F travel is to N. America, where unlike Emirates to Europe, there isn't a similar F class competitor with the same reach as CX.

Upthread, folks are referring to FIFTY percent of F fares being taken to N. America in the coming year or so.

Given the figures, I think some concern by those of us likely affected is quite relevant, and shouldn't just be dismissed in the manner you're trying to do.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Yup- A availability looks to be hurt quite bad..looking at summer flights to JFK, and see only a smattering of A1s, with most flights F1/2/3 A0...those bookable upgrades are going to be tough now!

Sigh...wishful thinking that they loosen up for DMs in light of the massive cull in availability!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Looks like they will honor these fares according to CX twitter and news articles

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46732952
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Just to make abundantly clear, this quote is definitely not fair to those of us displeased at the situation, nor does it represent my views or logic above about why I'm disappointed. Saying something like this is a cliched way to shove the real issues under the mattress.

I've already diversified as much business away from CX as possible. But I am a captive HK flyer. I am loyal to the MPC program and Asia Miles, fly on A fares, and burn upgrade certs CX gives us for flying 33pct more than Diamond (at 1600 CP). And most of my F travel is to N. America, where unlike Emirates to Europe, there isn't a similar F class competitor with the same reach as CX.

Upthread, folks are referring to FIFTY percent of F fares being taken to N. America in the coming year or so.

Given the figures, I think some concern by those of us likely affected is quite relevant, and shouldn't just be dismissed in the manner you're trying to do.
nobody is saying you can’t express your concern, they’re saying that labelling people who have purchased these fares with derogatory terms is not helpful to any discussion.

it is likely that there will be a mix of people who have taken up this fare, those who fly F on CX anyway, those who usually fly J on CX but have purchased F tickets which may encourage future F flights, those who usually fly with other OW or *A airlines that may be attracted to fly CX in the future, and a few who usually fly in Y or Y+ on airlines who again may be tempted to fly J or F on the future. Given the news was spread mainly by aviation blogs, they will mainly be those flying regularly in any case and most probably already fly premium cabins.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 2, 2019 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I booked 4 RT in F

Thank you CX

I'm normally in F anyway, so if I can save money why not.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Actually I'm more interested in the case those VERY special fare ticket needs to change date... Particularly for travel that's book so far in advance e.g. in summer, if the flyer request to change date, would CX reprice the ticket and charge the fare difference (despite that rebooking charge is zero) between the error fare and actual fare?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
Actually I'm more interested in the case those VERY special fare ticket needs to change date... Particularly for travel that's book so far in advance e.g. in summer, if the flyer request to change date, would CX reprice the ticket and charge the fare difference (despite that rebooking charge is zero) between the error fare and actual fare?
I think if the new flight still has A, then no charge. If only have F, then they will charge them the regular price, so no way those people will pay for it
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by sscywong
I think rebooking is always subject to repricing if the fare was different (it obviously will be). I'm interested to see how these travelers and their trips eventually turn out, on the basis that I think the majority of those that snatched up these fares are not Vietnam-based travelers. Not going to get into the details here but possible issues from positioning would be a start.

Last edited by Chromie25; Jan 2, 2019 at 9:17 am Reason: Poor grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.