FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1948418-vietnam-us-mistake-fare-discussion-2019-cathay-new-years-gift.html)

safari ari Feb 7, 2019 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 30749012)
EF is not the proper place as it does not show Vietnam as point of origin (POS). That's why I mention doing a dummy booking on CX Vietnam site.
J availability is not really relevant. If you bought a mistake fare ticket, it will be issued either in I, D or possibly C.

I've done a dummy booking on CX Vietnam site and A fare bucket is available, as it shows on EF. It even contains the same rules that you can change your dates, yet CX won't let you do so.

yerffej201 Feb 8, 2019 3:04 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 30749259)
It was discussed somewhere. Someone suggested that CX was using a VN POO availability for these special exVN fares.

i would think that tickets booked on CX VN site would use VN POS, but any OTA should use US POS. Unless somehow CX can change the POS the fare pulls from even with OTAs

Calchas Feb 8, 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 30753175)
i would think that tickets booked on CX VN site would use VN POS, but any OTA should use US POS. Unless somehow CX can change the POS the fare pulls from even with OTAs

That is not, in general, correct.

Most, although perhaps not all, Expedia sites use a POS inferred from the top level domain. So expedia.fr uses a sales office in Paris. American Express travel does something similar. I imagine if you call a service centre then you will get the sales office for that service centre, but it's possible Expedia does some trickery to get a point of sales at the original ticketing location.

The selling currency is usually the give away: although it isn't strictly required by IATA that a TA sells in the currency of the sales office, I think all OTAs do (?)

yerffej201 Feb 8, 2019 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 30756161)
That is not, in general, correct.

Most, although perhaps not all, Expedia sites use a POS inferred from the top level domain. So expedia.fr uses a sales office in Paris. American Express travel does something similar. I imagine if you call a service centre then you will get the sales office for that service centre, but it's possible Expedia does some trickery to get a point of sales at the original ticketing location.

The selling currency is usually the give away: although it isn't strictly required by IATA that a TA sells in the currency of the sales office, I think all OTAs do (?)

sorry, what i meant to say that US ota's will use a US POS. expedia.com should use a US POS. So should Priceline, AMEX Travel USA, etc - all which priced in USD

brunos Feb 9, 2019 2:51 am

I am not an expert.
But I have read that some airlines have enacted availability based on a Point-of-origin (POO), or Point-of-commencement in Amadeus terminology.
Is that true? That would make a lot of sense for country-specific deals.

FlyPointyEnd Feb 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Reading some blogs about Lufthansa suing passengers who skip their last legs....wonder if CX would do the same to recoup some of the losses from this.

IWontRegretThis Feb 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Just finished my first leg of my one F ticket I booked on this... HAN-HKG-JFK. Both enjoyable flights, dont think I have ever not enjoyed a Cathay F flight. They kept the cabin a bit cooler from the last time I flew F, without airvents really appreciated that.

Why did I only book one of these!

I went ahead and got a 1 entry visa ahead of time and flew a VN HKG-HAn flight ahead of time, perfectly enjoyable econ flight and with Skyteam+ got an entire exit row to myself. Entry/Exit to the country was no issue with the Visa and using the APEC lanes, but had to wait at KFC for an hour for the KA check in to open to get my BP to go to lounge.

marcuslai Feb 10, 2019 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis (Post 30763013)
Entry/Exit to the country was no issue with the Visa and using the APEC lanes,

Why you do u need a visa if u have an APEC card? I'm asking because I have one too where Vietnam is one of the approved countries, and I thought that meant I wouldn't need a visa of any kind ... Thanks !

ft543 Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by marcuslai (Post 30763182)
Why you do u need a visa if u have an APEC card? I'm asking because I have one too where Vietnam is one of the approved countries, and I thought that meant I wouldn't need a visa of any kind ... Thanks !

American APEC cards do not come with visa privileges, so all it really gives you is crew/diplomatic line access

kaka Feb 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by HarbourGent (Post 30708846)
As a regular paid CX flyer I was already unhappy that CX sold what were clearly mistake fares and honoured them on what seemed to be a large scale.
Now I find myself needing to push back the U.S. leg of a multi-carrier award ticket by just a few days. However, Marco Polo informs me that there is zero F availability HKG-JFK between now and mid-August (when the ticket expires). Being unable to change the U.S. flight date means that it will be a no-show and the subsequent sectors, for which I redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles, will be forfeited. The only solution Cathay offers is to waitlist which in my experience is unlikely to throw up a seat. So Cathay's decision to fill a large part of its F inventory with non-Cathay loyalists flying on what they mostly know to be a mistake fare turns out to be very damaging for the feeling about Cathay of a Hong Kong based near weekly Cathay passenger like myself.

but you are not unhappy people w AS miles flying next to you for min cost?
how interesting people talking about contractual obligations that only go one way.

also, if you need to change flights of course you need award availability. nothjng old there. if you had paid then cx would hv accomodated you on your new dates.

kaka Feb 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 30747736)
My advice to you lot would be to accept the goodwill that Cathay Pacific has provided and move on with your travel plans that you had initially planned for when the window of opportunity was provided. Reading into all the fine prints on this ridiculously low price shows your selfishness and greed.

Move on!

The T&C clearly states: NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET

In this case, it would be higher so what's the issue? Please explain your rant!

goodwill? its a contractual obligation that cx has made.

PITBULL1K Feb 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 30767037)
<div style="text-align:left;"><br />but you are not unhappy people w AS miles flying next to you for min cost?<br />how interesting people talking about contractual obligations that only go one way.<br /><br />also, if you need to change flights of course you need award availability. nothjng old there. if you had paid then cx would hv accomodated you on your new dates.</div>

marcuslai Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by ft543 (Post 30764986)
American APEC cards do not come with visa privileges, so all it really gives you is crew/diplomatic line access

thanks ft543!

kaka Feb 12, 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd (Post 30762733)
Reading some blogs about Lufthansa suing passengers who skip their last legs....wonder if CX would do the same to recoup some of the losses from this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-journey.html

i wonder if DE courts think differently as IT and ES...

ps: IT and ES courts ruled passengers may take some of the ticket as long as one use/forfeit tickets in order. and the IT version is hard coded in CX’s CoC too

hw711 Feb 16, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by USAIRCHAIRMAN (Post 30697654)
If you fill out a contact form they will likely refund you in full. They issued me a separate refund for 2 of my tickets (canceled within 24 hours which they refused to honor originally) but in the reply email said due to the error fare they would be happy to fully refund me

Originally Posted by Guanran Wang (Post 30616100)
Same, which is why you should email them at [email protected]. Specify your request to be directed to CX Vietnam (what I did)

Do they respond faster by contact form or email to [email protected]? I emailed 17hours ago but never heard anything back.