Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by brunos
EF is not the proper place as it does not show Vietnam as point of origin (POS). That's why I mention doing a dummy booking on CX Vietnam site.
J availability is not really relevant. If you bought a mistake fare ticket, it will be issued either in I, D or possibly C.
I've done a dummy booking on CX Vietnam site and A fare bucket is available, as it shows on EF. It even contains the same rules that you can change your dates, yet CX won't let you do so.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by brunos
It was discussed somewhere. Someone suggested that CX was using a VN POO availability for these special exVN fares.
i would think that tickets booked on CX VN site would use VN POS, but any OTA should use US POS. Unless somehow CX can change the POS the fare pulls from even with OTAs
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
i would think that tickets booked on CX VN site would use VN POS, but any OTA should use US POS. Unless somehow CX can change the POS the fare pulls from even with OTAs
That is not, in general, correct.

Most, although perhaps not all, Expedia sites use a POS inferred from the top level domain. So expedia.fr uses a sales office in Paris. American Express travel does something similar. I imagine if you call a service centre then you will get the sales office for that service centre, but it's possible Expedia does some trickery to get a point of sales at the original ticketing location.

The selling currency is usually the give away: although it isn't strictly required by IATA that a TA sells in the currency of the sales office, I think all OTAs do (?)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
That is not, in general, correct.

Most, although perhaps not all, Expedia sites use a POS inferred from the top level domain. So expedia.fr uses a sales office in Paris. American Express travel does something similar. I imagine if you call a service centre then you will get the sales office for that service centre, but it's possible Expedia does some trickery to get a point of sales at the original ticketing location.

The selling currency is usually the give away: although it isn't strictly required by IATA that a TA sells in the currency of the sales office, I think all OTAs do (?)
sorry, what i meant to say that US ota's will use a US POS. expedia.com should use a US POS. So should Priceline, AMEX Travel USA, etc - all which priced in USD
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am not an expert.
But I have read that some airlines have enacted availability based on a Point-of-origin (POO), or Point-of-commencement in Amadeus terminology.
Is that true? That would make a lot of sense for country-specific deals.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Reading some blogs about Lufthansa suing passengers who skip their last legs....wonder if CX would do the same to recoup some of the losses from this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Just finished my first leg of my one F ticket I booked on this... HAN-HKG-JFK. Both enjoyable flights, dont think I have ever not enjoyed a Cathay F flight. They kept the cabin a bit cooler from the last time I flew F, without airvents really appreciated that.

Why did I only book one of these!

I went ahead and got a 1 entry visa ahead of time and flew a VN HKG-HAn flight ahead of time, perfectly enjoyable econ flight and with Skyteam+ got an entire exit row to myself. Entry/Exit to the country was no issue with the Visa and using the APEC lanes, but had to wait at KFC for an hour for the KA check in to open to get my BP to go to lounge.
frisbfreek likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Entry/Exit to the country was no issue with the Visa and using the APEC lanes,
Why you do u need a visa if u have an APEC card? I'm asking because I have one too where Vietnam is one of the approved countries, and I thought that meant I wouldn't need a visa of any kind ... Thanks !
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Originally Posted by marcuslai
Why you do u need a visa if u have an APEC card? I'm asking because I have one too where Vietnam is one of the approved countries, and I thought that meant I wouldn't need a visa of any kind ... Thanks !
American APEC cards do not come with visa privileges, so all it really gives you is crew/diplomatic line access
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
As a regular paid CX flyer I was already unhappy that CX sold what were clearly mistake fares and honoured them on what seemed to be a large scale.
Now I find myself needing to push back the U.S. leg of a multi-carrier award ticket by just a few days. However, Marco Polo informs me that there is zero F availability HKG-JFK between now and mid-August (when the ticket expires). Being unable to change the U.S. flight date means that it will be a no-show and the subsequent sectors, for which I redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles, will be forfeited. The only solution Cathay offers is to waitlist which in my experience is unlikely to throw up a seat. So Cathay's decision to fill a large part of its F inventory with non-Cathay loyalists flying on what they mostly know to be a mistake fare turns out to be very damaging for the feeling about Cathay of a Hong Kong based near weekly Cathay passenger like myself.
but you are not unhappy people w AS miles flying next to you for min cost?
how interesting people talking about contractual obligations that only go one way.

also, if you need to change flights of course you need award availability. nothjng old there. if you had paid then cx would hv accomodated you on your new dates.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
My advice to you lot would be to accept the goodwill that Cathay Pacific has provided and move on with your travel plans that you had initially planned for when the window of opportunity was provided. Reading into all the fine prints on this ridiculously low price shows your selfishness and greed.

Move on!

The T&C clearly states: NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET

In this case, it would be higher so what's the issue? Please explain your rant!
goodwill? its a contractual obligation that cx has made.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kaka
<div style="text-align:left;"><br />but you are not unhappy people w AS miles flying next to you for min cost?<br />how interesting people talking about contractual obligations that only go one way.<br /><br />also, if you need to change flights of course you need award availability. nothjng old there. if you had paid then cx would hv accomodated you on your new dates.</div>
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by ft543
American APEC cards do not come with visa privileges, so all it really gives you is crew/diplomatic line access
thanks ft543!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Reading some blogs about Lufthansa suing passengers who skip their last legs....wonder if CX would do the same to recoup some of the losses from this.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-journey.html

i wonder if DE courts think differently as IT and ES...

ps: IT and ES courts ruled passengers may take some of the ticket as long as one use/forfeit tickets in order. and the IT version is hard coded in CX’s CoC too
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by USAIRCHAIRMAN
If you fill out a contact form they will likely refund you in full. They issued me a separate refund for 2 of my tickets (canceled within 24 hours which they refused to honor originally) but in the reply email said due to the error fare they would be happy to fully refund me
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
Same, which is why you should email them at [email protected]. Specify your request to be directed to CX Vietnam (what I did)
Do they respond faster by contact form or email to [email protected]? I emailed 17hours ago but never heard anything back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.