Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: delta skymiles SM
Brunos,

I wanted to make sure the T&C I got from Expedia was consistent with what Cathay would provide. I called Cathay and got the "Expedia may take on fees and other terms and conditions to ours regarding your ticket" so I just wanted to make sure I had the correct information. I know that the fare class is AAARRVN8 for my tickets. The T&C states the same as others have posted:

"ORIGINATING VIET NAM - CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CHARGE USD 300.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND. ANY TIME CHARGE USD 300.00 FOR NO-SHOW. REPRICING CONDITIONS ///////////// ---------------- BEFORE DEPARTURE ---------------- RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN ‡ THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. IF SAME ROUTING BUT DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS TICKET OR 3. USE ANY CURRENT CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET. --------------- AFTER DEPARTURE --------------- RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. USE ANY HISTORICAL CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET."
If I meet the following conditions, I interpret this to mean I have to pay the $100USD change fee, but that the fare does not change as the original purchase is a historical fare.
I am trying to figure out how I ensure "A fare availability with a Vietnam point of sale" as you state. Should I direct my correspondence to Cathay ticket offices in Vietnam? Cathay won't do anything for me as far as the ticket, other than direct me to Expedia. I appreciate your time and response. If think you are the same person that has a Hong Kong travel blog that I have also started following since booking these tickets. Thanks again.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by swbink02
@380 flyer.

For those of us that are misinterpreting the T&C, please explain. When I read it, it clearly says that if the origin/destination remain the same, and there is availability in same fare class, then there is $100 change fee but the price doesn't not increase as "any historical fare" is to be used and the fare can be "the same, higher or lower" depending on the historical fare utilized. The price on the tickets I bought is a "historical fare." Why should it not be used? Not trying to be flip, just trying to understand.
My advice to you lot would be to accept the goodwill that Cathay Pacific has provided and move on with your travel plans that you had initially planned for when the window of opportunity was provided. Reading into all the fine prints on this ridiculously low price shows your selfishness and greed.

Move on!

The T&C clearly states: NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET

In this case, it would be higher so what's the issue? Please explain your rant!
fakecd and FlyPointyEnd like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:59 pm

@380Flyer,

Thank you for your advice. No rant here. Just trying to understand the options available. The T&C states that "any historical fare" can be used. I have a historical fare that they are honoring. B/C of that, the fare should be the same (based on my interpretation). The T&C are similar to the terms of a contract (in addition to the Contract of Carriage) which I am certain you are aware. It appears to me that Cathay doesn't want to honor the T&C. It has nothing to do with selfishness and greed. It has everyting to do with a company honoring the T&C regarding the purchase of a good or service. CX should have just not honored the tickets if they have no intention of honoring the terms. I have exactly 1 trip booked for my family of 3 and am trying to change the dates by just a few days. I am here just trying to get some friendly advice. I appreciate yours.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
About three weeks after the fare was available, I changed the date of one of the flights and paid only the $99 change fee, just as is published in the A-basis fare rules, directly on the CX site.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
My advice to you lot would be to accept the goodwill that Cathay Pacific has provided and move on with your travel plans that you had initially planned for when the window of opportunity was provided. Reading into all the fine prints on this ridiculously low price shows your selfishness and greed.

Move on!

The T&C clearly states: NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET

In this case, it would be higher so what's the issue? Please explain your rant!
Fare rules aren't suggestions, they are terms that both parties have to abide by, regardless of what the paid fare is. Cathay was very generous in honoring this fare, if they don't intent to honor the terms of the fare they should disclose that well in advance. Plans change, life happens, it isn't indicative of selfishness or greed if you are willing to pay what the fare terms say.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
I can’t believe how many on this forum think that CX can change the mistake fares at no cost when the change fee and date change fare repricing is clearly well understood.

If one purchases such tickets on impulse knowing that it is a deal of the year, then be prepare to pay the fare difference or the cancellation fees.

There is no reprice, according to the fare rules, if the fare class the original flight was booked in is available (only a change fee). Perhaps read the fare rules.

Last edited by singal3; Feb 6, 2019 at 5:02 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Brunos,

I wanted to make sure the T&C I got from Expedia was consistent with what Cathay would provide. I called Cathay and got the "Expedia may take on fees and other terms and conditions to ours regarding your ticket" so I just wanted to make sure I had the correct information. I know that the fare class is AAARRVN8 for my tickets. The T&C states the same as others have posted:

"ORIGINATING VIET NAM - CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CHARGE USD 300.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND. ANY TIME CHARGE USD 300.00 FOR NO-SHOW. REPRICING CONDITIONS ///////////// ---------------- BEFORE DEPARTURE ---------------- RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN ‡ THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. IF SAME ROUTING BUT DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS TICKET OR 3. USE ANY CURRENT CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET. --------------- AFTER DEPARTURE --------------- RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. USE ANY HISTORICAL CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET."
If I meet the following conditions, I interpret this to mean I have to pay the $100USD change fee, but that the fare does not change as the original purchase is a historical fare.
I am trying to figure out how I ensure "A fare availability with a Vietnam point of sale" as you state. Should I direct my correspondence to Cathay ticket offices in Vietnam? Cathay won't do anything for me as far as the ticket, other than direct me to Expedia. I appreciate your time and response. If think you are the same person that has a Hong Kong travel blog that I have also started following since booking these tickets. Thanks again.
Thanks swbink02 for the clarification.
I agree that we should not get emotional about this mistake fare. You were lucky to get it, CX honored it and that's it. Try to get the best of it.

Going through a TA does not make life easy for you.
There have been many discussions and rumors on this thread, as well as conflicting information. I guess that you have read it carefully.
One possibility to detect if A fare bucket is available on your new itinerary is to do a dummy booking with your desired dates on CX Vietnam website. If you can get some A fare for the whole itinerary then it implies A availability. Make sure that you should get A on both the outbound and inbound, as CX will say that they need to reissue the ticket. Having A availability on the changed outbound flight but not on the same inbound flight might be a problem (eventhough you already have it). That is one trick that CX could use during repricing.
If you can get some A fare for the whole new dummy booking, then you could argue with CX. But having used a TA makes it more difficult.

BTW: I am NOT doing any travel blog.

Last edited by brunos; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:19 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:15 pm

@Brunos

thank you for the reply. Makes sense. I did some random dates on expert flyer and am seeing both A and J availability for the flights I am wanting to change for. Will try again with Expedia tomorrow. Sorry if I confused you with the person doing the HKtravelblog. Cheers.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
I bought one of the Hanoi to SFO roundtrips. On my return to Hanoi, I am planning to continue to Chiang Mai on a Bangkok Airways departing 3 hours after my DragonAir flight arrives in Hanoi.

Will I be able to do this International => International transit without a Visa? Or should I be prepared to clear immigration in Hanoi, and get a Visa as well.

Even if I can do the transit in Hanoi without a Visa, will there be a Vietnam Visa check for me to board the flight in SFO?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
@swbink02

I have been following this thread as I have a first class ticket SGN-JFK-SGN booked through Expedia. I'd like to change the return date if able to do so and am willing to wait until I have flown the outbound in August if need be, but the lack of clear understanding of the ability to do so with Expedia/Cathay/other espoused throughout this thread is irritating. When I try to change it on-line with Expedia, it only offers me the business class cabin without a huge fare increase (on days where A/J ex-SGN is available). I have not called Expedia yet.

Will look forward to hearing what you are able to accomplish with Expedia.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Brunos

thank you for the reply. Makes sense. I did some random dates on expert flyer and am seeing both A and J availability for the flights I am wanting to change for. Will try again with Expedia tomorrow. Sorry if I confused you with the person doing the HKtravelblog. Cheers.
EF is not the proper place as it does not show Vietnam as point of origin (POS). That's why I mention doing a dummy booking on CX Vietnam site.
J availability is not really relevant. If you bought a mistake fare ticket, it will be issued either in I, D or possibly C.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:21 am

OTA would use likely use USA POS
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
OTA would use likely use USA POS
It was discussed somewhere. Someone suggested that CX was using a VN POO availability for these special exVN fares.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
EF is not the proper place as it does not show Vietnam as point of origin (POS). That's why I mention doing a dummy booking on CX Vietnam site.
J availability is not really relevant. If you bought a mistake fare ticket, it will be issued either in I, D or possibly C.
My ticket is booked on CX metal between SGN and HKG in J and A to and from JFK.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
My ticket is booked on CX metal between SGN and HKG in J and A to and from JFK.
Mine are the same. Booked in J and A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.