Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Cathay does not allow class changes on redemption tickets. In fact, on a previous occasion when I had a one-way F ticket from TPE to HKG and needed to travel the day before I planned, no F was offered on the route that day and as they would not simply downgrade me to business class I instead ended up buying a ticket.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
As a regular paid CX flyer I was already unhappy that CX sold what were clearly mistake fares and honoured them on what seemed to be a large scale.
Now I find myself needing to push back the U.S. leg of a multi-carrier award ticket by just a few days. However, Marco Polo informs me that there is zero F availability HKG-JFK between now and mid-August (when the ticket expires). Being unable to change the U.S. flight date means that it will be a no-show and the subsequent sectors, for which I redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles, will be forfeited. The only solution Cathay offers is to waitlist which in my experience is unlikely to throw up a seat. So Cathay's decision to fill a large part of its F inventory with non-Cathay loyalists flying on what they mostly know to be a mistake fare turns out to be very damaging for the feeling about Cathay of a Hong Kong based near weekly Cathay passenger like myself.
I understand your plight, but in fairness, seeing zero F award availability for HKG-JFK is a fairly common situation even for DM's. Hopefully you will be successful with your waitlist, or at least get to fly in J.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by lucasw
Has anybody successfully changed their dates for free? I have a DAD-HKG-JFK EWR-HKG-DAD ticket with booking classes J,A,C,C and would like to change the last leg (HKG-DAD) to a later date.
Just read other posts in this thread.
If your fare does not allow stopovers, I doubt that you could do it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peterfox
I have managed to book my positioning flight to HAN, and will spend one night in Hanoi staying at the Hilton Hotel.
The following day, I am doing HAN-HKG-JFK // 3 hours turn around in JFK-HKG-HAN. I am planning to miss the flight in HKG, and continue on to DOH on QR. Will it be a problem "over" staying in either The Pier og The Wing lounge ?
My QR flight departs at 19:00 hours so I will eventually have 12-13 hours in the First Class lounges before proceeding to the QR-Doha Transit stop.
That sounds like a joke.You will do a three hour turnaround in JFK?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Cathay does not allow class changes on redemption tickets. In fact, on a previous occasion when I had a one-way F ticket from TPE to HKG and needed to travel the day before I planned, no F was offered on the route that day and as they would not simply downgrade me to business class I instead ended up buying a ticket.
Interesting..While its been a couple of years, I have actually done quite the same..a HKG-SIN or vv sector in Prem Eco on a biz class multi carrier award ticket, that was initially in biz, but did not have U availability on the preferred flight of my revised plans. Vague recollection that a note was added to the booking that if there were seats available at airport check-in, it be given to us, else no refund of any miles or anything (which we were fine with) - we did end up travelling in biz, but the reissued ticket did have T class for that particular flight.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
That sounds like a joke.You will do a three hour turnaround in JFK?
That is the truth Brunos - saving miles for OW-Emerald !
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by peterfox
That is the truth Brunos - saving miles for OW-Emerald !

Then, based on the same logic, why miss the flight to HAN?? There is even more miles to be accumulated flying to HKG -> HAN and then HAN back to HKG just in time for the DOH flight..

(Audio)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: delta skymiles SM
This has not been my experience. I booked my ticket through Expedia. I have tried to change the outbound twice, and even though Cathays own website is showing J and A availability, the agents with Expedia still are trying to reprice to several thousand dollars higher. I even read back their own terms and conditions and when they call Cathay they still will not change without repricing. Anyone else had any luck changing a ticket booked through Expedia only having to pay the $100 change fee?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by swbink02
This has not been my experience. I booked my ticket through Expedia. I have tried to change the outbound twice, and even though Cathays own website is showing J and A availability, the agents with Expedia still are trying to reprice to several thousand dollars higher. I even read back their own terms and conditions and when they call Cathay they still will not change without repricing. Anyone else had any luck changing a ticket booked through Expedia only having to pay the $100 change fee?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Can anyone post the Terms and Conditions that govern "A" fare on Cathay? I am trying to get a copy of their own T&C to verify that the ticket is able to be changed if same fare class and Origin/Destination remain the same. I keep getting told no by Expedia. TIA.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:57 am

can anyone post the terms and conditions that govern "a" fare on cathay? I am trying to get a copy of their own t&c to verify that the ticket is able to be changed if same fare class and origin/destination remain the same. I keep getting told no by expedia. Tia.
Spoiler

Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
As a regular paid CX flyer I was already unhappy that CX sold what were clearly mistake fares and honoured them on what seemed to be a large scale.
Now I find myself needing to push back the U.S. leg of a multi-carrier award ticket by just a few days. However, Marco Polo informs me that there is zero F availability HKG-JFK between now and mid-August (when the ticket expires). Being unable to change the U.S. flight date means that it will be a no-show and the subsequent sectors, for which I redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles, will be forfeited. The only solution Cathay offers is to waitlist which in my experience is unlikely to throw up a seat. So Cathay's decision to fill a large part of its F inventory with non-Cathay loyalists flying on what they mostly know to be a mistake fare turns out to be very damaging for the feeling about Cathay of a Hong Kong based near weekly Cathay passenger like myself.
Hundreds of thousands of miles for a return flight? Hmmmm.

From an airline's perspective, one would think they would prefer cash coming in instead of giving that same seat in exchange for miles.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:30 am

@selwyn.murphy

Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
I can’t believe how many on this forum think that CX can change the mistake fares at no cost when the change fee and date change fare repricing is clearly well understood.

If one purchases such tickets on impulse knowing that it is a deal of the year, then be prepare to pay the fare difference or the cancellation fees.

Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:06 am

@380 flyer.

For those of us that are misinterpreting the T&C, please explain. When I read it, it clearly says that if the origin/destination remain the same, and there is availability in same fare class, then there is $100 change fee but the price doesn't not increase as "any historical fare" is to be used and the fare can be "the same, higher or lower" depending on the historical fare utilized. The price on the tickets I bought is a "historical fare." Why should it not be used? Not trying to be flip, just trying to understand.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@380 flyer.

For those of us that are misinterpreting the T&C, please explain. When I read it, it clearly says that if the origin/destination remain the same, and there is availability in same fare class, then there is $100 change fee but the price doesn't not increase as "any historical fare" is to be used and the fare can be "the same, higher or lower" depending on the historical fare utilized. The price on the tickets I bought is a "historical fare." Why should it not be used? Not trying to be flip, just trying to understand.
If you know thet T&Cs of your ticket, why are you asking earlier: "Can anyone post the Terms and Conditions that govern "A" fare on Cathay? "

Be aware that there is no T&C governing an "A" fare. There are many A**** fare and each can have different conditions. You would have to know your specific A***** fare.
Above you get the specific T&Cs for Fare basis code AAARRCA8 from Canada. Yours would be different and should have been indicated at time of booking. The only good way to know is by asking Expedia to print your specific fare conditions.
Also remember that you will need A availability with a Vietnam point of sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.