Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: United: LifetimeGold, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt:Globalist, Hilton:Diamond, IHG:Diamond
Meet on the plane or DAD/HAN

I booked flight Jun 8th-July 6 for HAN-HKG-SFO round trip and Sept. 6-Sept 21 for DAD-HKG-JFK. Would be great to find someone have similar travel plan to meet on the ground or plane. For JFK flight, I am on First class and take one into first class lounge.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
I have no sympathy for the writer of this blog. What do you expect CX to do. Bend over backwards to all the takers of the mistake care and have further revenue loss to accommodate to you guys who paid peanuts for the premium cabin fare. Get out of here!

Good on CX for the smart move. They did the right thing.

Please appreciate that they have accepted the mistake fare and if you were in a hurry to book these without much thought, then it was at your discretion. Live with it or get a full refund and that too, please do pay the cancellation fee.
Is the writer of the blog going to give me credit for writing a post about something I called out here and on the other thread days ago? 😁
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:57 am
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Is the writer of the blog going to give me credit for writing a post about something I called out here and on the other thread days ago? 😁
Nope xD. I figured it on 2 Jan when I got stuck in DAD, but went on another trip to Kuala Lumpur so only posted yesterday hahaha
I actually did not follow this thread until mod linked my article here lol
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by hew204
Happy for those who were able to take advantage of this. I was quite surprised by CX's generosity particularly as it relates to honoring the F fares. However, as a frequent purchaser of CX premium fares to the US, I hope I don't run into issues with finding F availability or else this will reduce my spend with CX in 2019.
It's already looking like I won't be able to use my DM upgrades on US routes, which is definitely a hit to how I will value DM in 2019.
This is going to affect me too. I was holding a J class flight to Vancouver for May which I wanted to upgrade using my Diamond 1600 upgrade certs. Bummer.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
Nope xD. I figured it on 2 Jan when I got stuck in DAD, but went on another trip to Kuala Lumpur so only posted yesterday hahaha
I actually did not follow this thread until mod linked my article here lol
My comment was very tongue in cheek - my posts didn't get much traction here - I'm just happy to say my hunch was confirmed by another source!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:37 pm

Great ... another missed mistake fare

I was out of internet for much of Xmas and New Year and only saw this yesterday ...

Well I will have to live it out by proxy - please post your experiences people!!!
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Mrs. QRC and I stepped on-board CX a few days ago for our first flight this year, and I wondered was this both our first and last CX F flight in 2019?

Then I tuned back in here after a hectic week. I realize CX seems to have done as well as they could given the circumstances. At least kudos to them for being decisive. It seems CX has partially rectified things a bit from my perspective (wanting A fare inventory not to be totally zeroed out and unpredictable across ex-HKG and ex-other ports). By effectively not allowing date changes on the mistake fare without a reprice to the normal fare, they've at least seriously cauterized the wound. Technically to do that, it seems they are killing all ex-Vietnam discount premium fare buckets to North America.

CX is still going to have a lot less predictability in F class to North America, and I still think A fare overall will be reduced broadly. But I actually think it might lead to more op-ups. Because I imagine some of these tickets are going to be no-shows, instead of outright cancellations. Given there are so many more more Y and J seats on the plane, CX might end up overselling Y and J slightly more than usual if they see a pattern of more F no-shows than usual. I'm not really sure but that seems possible.

I feel bad for those actually based in Vietnam who fly D/I or A fares, those travelers are definitely getting the most screwed here if they were loyal to CX or needed CX for any reason. It looks like the biggest consequence of CX honoring their mistake fares is killing their ex-Vietnam premium business, at least for the next year, and those pax who rely on CX in that market are definitely hit the hardest.

Congratulations to those who got cheapo seats. My condolences to those of you who are Vietnam-based and who actually fly D/I or A fares as part of your normal life in 2019.
tobikosan and clubeurope like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Mrs. QRC and I stepped on-board CX a few days ago for our first flight this year, and I wondered was this both our first and last CX F flight in 2019?

Then I tuned back in here after a hectic week. I realize CX seems to have done as well as they could given the circumstances. At least kudos to them for being decisive. It seems CX has partially rectified things a bit from my perspective (wanting A fare inventory not to be totally zeroed out and unpredictable across ex-HKG and ex-other ports). By effectively not allowing date changes on the mistake fare without a reprice to the normal fare, they've at least seriously cauterized the wound. Technically to do that, it seems they are killing all ex-Vietnam discount premium fare buckets to North America.

CX is still going to have a lot less predictability in F class to North America, and I still think A fare overall will be reduced broadly. But I actually think it might lead to more op-ups. Because I imagine some of these tickets are going to be no-shows, instead of outright cancellations. Given there are so many more more Y and J seats on the plane, CX might end up overselling Y and J slightly more than usual if they see a pattern of more F no-shows than usual. I'm not really sure but that seems possible.

I feel bad for those actually based in Vietnam who fly D/I or A fares, those travelers are definitely getting the most screwed here if they were loyal to CX or needed CX for any reason. It looks like the biggest consequence of CX honoring their mistake fares is killing their ex-Vietnam premium business, at least for the next year, and those pax who rely on CX in that market are definitely hit the hardest.

Congratulations to those who got cheapo seats. My condolences to those of you who are Vietnam-based and who actually fly D/I or A fares as part of your normal life in 2019.
Yes I wonder how long this reduced inventory is going to last? Maybe it's a stop-gap until they find some other way to prevent changes to the cheap tickets. It seems odd that they would kill all legit premium purchases ex-Vietnam, unless this volume was so low it doesn't matter.
QRC3288 and clubeurope like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by sxc
Yes I wonder how long this reduced inventory is going to last? Maybe it's a stop-gap until they find some other way to prevent changes to the cheap tickets. It seems odd that they would kill all legit premium purchases ex-Vietnam, unless this volume was so low it doesn't matter.
simple stopgap solution would be to discount / price F bucket fares ex-VN under the old "A" fare pricing regime.

so maybe the miss out on full F fares (but then again - that has got to be a small market ex-VN?) - alternatively, they could revert to normal F pricing say 1-2 weeks prior to departure (which is when people typically pay for full F fares?)
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
I believe that it is not just ex Vietnam discount premium fares that have been cancelled, it is all discount premium fares to Vietnam also. I had planned to go from MNL later in the year when the regular I fare would be about $1200 but it is now over $3500. This will kill the front end of all Vietnam flights.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Just to highlight that there is a great FT article, albeit aimed at US pax, for those who have purchased this fare, discussing visa requirements and where to credit the miles.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a...-for-tips.html
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TomYoung
I believe that it is not just ex Vietnam discount premium fares that have been cancelled, it is all discount premium fares to Vietnam also. I had planned to go from MNL later in the year when the regular I fare would be about $1200 but it is now over $3500. This will kill the front end of all Vietnam flights.
ExMNL to North America in Business Class has never been at $1,200, Im pretty sure it hasnt gone that low in the past 8 years.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

ExMNL to North America in Business Class has never been at $1,200, Im pretty sure it hasnt gone that low in the past 8 years.
I believe Tom Young was talking about a return ticket MNL-HKG-HAN/SGN, not MNL-HKG-USA, in which case $1,200 for an I fare might well have been an accurate pricing level.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

the post was about MNL-Vietnam. Not NA-MNL.
And I also find that biz discounts from anywhere to VN have simply disappeared
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brunos

the post was about MNL-Vietnam. Not NA-MNL.
And I also find that biz discounts from anywhere to VN have simply disappeared
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
I believe Tom Young was talking about a return ticket MNL-HKG-HAN/SGN, not MNL-HKG-USA, in which case $1,200 for an I fare might well have been an accurate pricing level.
Sorry my bad....however from what I know, HAN, DAD is priced similar to RGN, where the KA legs are operated by A320. Normally they are in the neighborhood of $1600-$1800 exMNL. SGN was priced at around $1000 similar to most SEA destinations serviced by CX. A quick check today SGN is at $1,300 with Business Save only available on the inbound flights. Further in April, its back at $1200.

For HAN (I'd assume is similar to DAD) there are dates (1/24-1/31) that it's ay 1,747.56 on Business Save (I-Class). When I tried to book for my positioning flights in June and November it was actually at $2,200 for business or $500 in economy...I'm actually thinking of taking SQ from Manila, they have a travel fare this weekend and it's like US$906 including taxes for Business Class..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.