Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:21 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
An explanation on what is happening re trying to change tickets on this fare:

https://hktravelblog.com/featured/ca...light-changes/
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by sxc
An explanation on what is happening re trying to change tickets on this fare:

https://hktravelblog.com/featured/ca...light-changes/
I have no sympathy for the writer of this blog. What do you expect CX to do. Bend over backwards to all the takers of the mistake care and have further revenue loss to accommodate to you guys who paid peanuts for the premium cabin fare. Get out of here!

Good on CX for the smart move. They did the right thing.

Please appreciate that they have accepted the mistake fare and if you were in a hurry to book these without much thought, then it was at your discretion. Live with it or get a full refund and that too, please do pay the cancellation fee.
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I have no skin in the game, but I am looking at it from a shareholders' or employees' perspective.

With all the pain inflicted on shareholders and employees over the past few years, I don't understand why management decided to give in so easily. Everyone knew it was a mistake fare. There's no contract for mistake fares. No one knows how many tickets were sold at the sub-$1000 fare, but it was on every blog for hours. Assume 10000 tickets. Even if we haircut that figure by 50% because some of that inventory would have been "sold" as partner reward redemptions anyway, that's still USD 50-100mn in lost top-line revenue (which flows straight to pretax profit). Maybe not as bad as fuel hedging losses, but I don't see why management thinks they can absorb this. As others have stated, it also plays havoc on yield management for transpacific flights over the next 11-12 months.
Taking aside fuel hedging cost, CX is still very profitable as a Group and it has been unfortunate that the losses were for the past 2 years as a result of this but I can assure you that CX has the house in order and they will be reporting a profit for 2018 financial period and their financial position is one of the strongest of the airlines out there.

Last edited by sxc; Jan 5, 2019 at 6:31 pm Reason: Remove personal attack
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:48 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
I have no sympathy for the writer of this blog. What do you expect CX to do. Bend over backwards to all the takers of the mistake care and have further revenue loss to accommodate to you guys who paid peanuts for the premium cabin fare. Get out of here!

Please appreciate that they have accepted the mistake fare and if you were in a hurry to book these without much thought, then it was at your discretion. Live with it or get a full refund and that too, please do pay the cancellation fee.
They are SMART. I mean, I did not expect them to do this to turn price all Business/First at F/J.
Just a little unhappy this is how they chose to deter us from changing. Becus basically they are using privileged access against us. But I guess I am not the best person to complain here will all my tickets lol
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:50 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

I don’t understand why people ask the social media team to handle these things. Just pick up a phone and call the reservations hotline. Most likely they will have a better handle on things.

Datapoint HK blogger who missed his connection because he wasn’t aware of the transit rules at DAD was a cancellation fee waiver.
I called CX SGN office and had DAD station manager to explain why I missed my connection: that is how I got my fee waived
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:52 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I always prefer to use written correspondence so I have a record, in case there is any "funny business" that goes on later.
Same, which is why you should email them at [email protected]. Specify your request to be directed to CX Vietnam (what I did)
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:10 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Exactly, DAD-HKG-JFK return in J will generate over 50,000 redeemable miles if credited to AS. Assuming a low-ball valuation of US$0.01 per mile and to keep things simple, that's USD500 per ticket. Even if no cash changes hands, those 50k miles represent another one-way J class award flight on CX in the future (assuming the AS award chart doesn't change).
CX does not pay for the 100/200% bonus, that is the incentive from AS. CX only pays for 100% plus COS
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
They are SMART. I mean, I did not expect them to do this to turn price all Business/First at F/J.
I see lots of C/D/I on direct HAN/DAD/SGN-HKG flights, meaning CX is only giving up Vietnam-US premium business and carving out mistake fares. Pricing team must have run many scenarios all-night before honoring these tickets.

F seats would have flown mostly empty anyway, besides upgrades and redemption seats. As long as they can recoup the variable cost of serving additional passengers, CX must have considered that it is ok to honor these tickets

As many said, this is a lose situation for redemption/upgrade pax only
Calchas likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:47 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by chunhw2792
I see lots of C/D/I on direct HAN/DAD/SGN-HKG flights, meaning CX is only giving up Vietnam-US premium business and carving out mistake fares. Pricing team must have run many scenarios all-night before honoring these tickets.

F seats would have flown mostly empty anyway, besides upgrades and redemption seats. As long as they can recoup the variable cost of serving additional passengers, CX must have considered that it is ok to honor these tickets

You are seeing VN interline flights with CX, which have D/C fars avail.I still dont see any for CX/KA metal
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
You are seeing VN interline flights with CX, which have D/C fars avail.I still dont see any for CX/KA metal
I see your point.

SGN-HKG is available on CX. Perhaps not impacted much by the error fare
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hanoi - Noi Bai Airport lounge

There was some discussion upthread about HAN lounges. lf you get to use to Noi Bai lounge at HAN I would suggest that it exceeded my expectations as an airport operated facility when I used it as a QR customer back in late 2017. There was a wide range of snacks, plenty of drinks, lots of space, and it was well maintained and clean with nice views out over the apron. It wasn't up there with a CX lounge at HKIA, but it was more than adequate, and I have been in considerably worse. The only thing I can remember as a negative were the showers being a little industrial, but I didn't need to use them.

Some pics to illustrate.

Pastries and bread

Local food - spring rolls

Fresh fruit

Seating

Cakes

The bar (hot drinks were at the elevated self serve bar behind)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:21 am
formerly Guanran Wang

I see your point.

SGN-HKG is available on CX. Perhaps not impacted much by the error fare
Would you mind to screenshot the dates?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:29 am
formerly Guanran Wang

For those interested, I wrote about Da Nang (DAD) CIP Orchid Lounge while I was stuck at the airport the other day.
Have a read if you wish: https://hktravelblog.com/reviews/rev...orchid-lounge/
miffSC likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Sorry to strongly disagree with you.

Most regular paid First class pax book in A fare bucket. That's my case and my friends'. In the USA and Europe CX is (was) aggressively selling A fares at a discount of the F fare. From JFK F fare is around USD33k and A (ANYCR) is around USD19k. A ticket has a USD100 cancellation fee and free change fee. BUT NEEDS A AVAILABILITY. There are some periodic promotions below 19k.

Later you say that CX/KA availability VN-HKG is wide. That is simply untrue; it is dramatically less than a week ago. Only J remains. I know as I was planning to book tickets HKG-DAD and HKG-SGN where I often fly. Sure, you can still book on CX website the VN-operated flights but they are priced very expensive J as usual. Only on VN website can you book the cheap D or C business fare.
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Jan 6, 2019 at 3:45 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by 380Flyer

+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.