Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:16 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CXYYZ

That’s the page I’m referring to. The drop down menu also lists the Noibai International Airport Business Class Lounge as being used.
Oh I see what you mean. Maybe it depends on whether you are on VN or CX metal. But I’m just speculating.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by ermen
Someone put it simply upthread - if you buy a deep discount ticket I ticket with XXX cancellation penalty and come flight time, its J1, D0, I0 etc etc, you say you want to refund. You think it is in CX's long term interests to let you refund and resell your ticket for 5X the price you bought it?...
Refund, with cancellation penalty for sure. Suppose, there is a wait list, or already overbooked (yes does not happen with F), then it might be suitable to refund and leave it to the customer to swallow the pride regarding the cancellation penalty. That's bluffing by the rules, so to say.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm normally a stick-it-to-the-airline type, since over the years, they have been so inflexible and nickel & dime everything. However, CX is not one of those airlines, in my opinion. Comparatively, I find they are reasonably flexible and accommodating by airline standards, especially for status-ed passengers. Regardless of whether you think they should honour the fares or not, I'm impressed by how quickly and professionally they acted to resolve this embarrassing episode.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
I'm normally a stick-it-to-the-airline type, since over the years, they have been so inflexible and nickel & dime everything. However, CX is not one of those airlines, in my opinion. Comparatively, I find they are reasonably flexible and accommodating by airline standards, especially for status-ed passengers. Regardless of whether you think they should honour the fares or not, I'm impressed by how quickly and professionally they acted to resolve this embarrassing episode.
I agree with you, some flexibility and they certainly learned from the recent past MISHAPS, so to say.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:45 am

Discounted airfare for advance purchases is, in a sense, an options contract. The buyer of has the right to realize the ticket's potential full future value, $15K CX RT in this case, on the dates of travel; while the airline, CX in this case, is the seller of this contract and obligated to deliver it on demand at a predetermined future date (expiration). For an airline ticket, the cancellation fee & lost of interest on excess is the premium. That's it. The notion that any futures buyer may reason to the seller to refund the premium based on the bet going against him/her is nonsensical.

Like many, I was tempted to book this "sale." When I pulled up the potential reservation, it was obvious to me (as it should have been any reasonably prudent person) this was a mistake fare. That it originated in Vietnam meant I had to go there twice, in a relatively short span, posed too much of an inconvenience. In my experience, CX has always been reasonable, and have been known to be relatively flexible in the past. But, if there were ever a time when CX would play "lawyer ball" and be completely inflexible, it would be on this fare. So, I passed, not because of my "moral compass," but from my sense of amoral pragmatism.

Now, if this originated from HKG or JFK, I would've had no compunction being the one who was rumored to have booked 17 of them...
jona970318 and Calchas like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:58 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc

Oh I see what you mean. Maybe it depends on whether you are on VN or CX metal. But I’m just speculating.
From my 2016 photos
They're just opposite each other
I think VN's side looked better so I plumped for that

CXYYZ, Calchas and ft543 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
Discounted airfare for advance purchases is, in a sense, an options contract. The buyer of has the right to realize the ticket's potential full future value, $15K CX RT in this case, on the dates of travel; while the airline, CX in this case, is the seller of this contract and obligated to deliver it on demand at a predetermined future date (expiration). For an airline ticket, the cancellation fee & lost of interest on excess is the premium. That's it. The notion that any futures buyer may reason to the seller to refund the premium based on the bet going against him/her is nonsensical.
Great analogy. In many ways the current fares for sale represents the underlying stock price - one is purchasing a call based on the belief that the fare will be selling for higher later on
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jona970318
Great analogy. In many ways the current fares for sale represents the underlying stock price - one is purchasing a call based on the belief that the fare will be selling for higher later on
Although the nice thing about an option is it can be resold to other market participants ... anyone want to sell me their unwanted CX F ticket?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Purely to make a theoretical point and not to suggest any particular course of action, If CX aren’t honouring the contract in full (e.g. not allowing changes etc.) then the contract can be declare void by the other party and a full refund irrespective of cancellation fee should be possible.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
Purely to make a theoretical point and not to suggest any particular course of action, If CX aren’t honouring the contract in full (e.g. not allowing changes etc.) then the contract can be declare void by the other party and a full refund irrespective of cancellation fee should be possible.
Yep, you can change the ticket, which does cost the change fee as well as the difference in fare, just as with non-promo tickets. If you want to change a regular promo ticket outside the original promo period, you either can't change or the new fare will be adjusted to the fare according a purchase outside the promo period.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: delta skymiles SM
I have been reading this thread and am hoping to get some help. I have a ticket booked for July. I am reading the terms and conditions for cancellations and changes. I am hoping to get some clarification. If I want to change this booking keeping the origin and destination the same but just changing the date, there is a $100 change fee. If it is re-booked in the same book in class which would be ”A and J” Will be Ferebee you reprice based upon the current cost? When I read the following terms and conditions it says that in the historical fair price can be used and that the fair could be higher, equal or lower. I am a newbie concerning this and would appreciate any advice if I am looking to change the dates of travel but try not to have to pay the fare increase.

RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. IF SAME ROUTING BUT DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN ‡ PREVIOUS TICKET OR 3. USE ANY CURRENT CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET. --------------- AFTER DEPARTURE --------------- RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. USE ANY HISTORICAL CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by swbink02
I have been reading this thread and am hoping to get some help. I have a ticket booked for July. I am reading the terms and conditions for cancellations and changes. I am hoping to get some clarification. If I want to change this booking keeping the origin and destination the same but just changing the date, there is a $100 change fee. If it is re-booked in the same book in class which would be ”A and J” Will be Ferebee you reprice based upon the current cost? When I read the following terms and conditions it says that in the historical fair price can be used and that the fair could be higher, equal or lower. I am a newbie concerning this and would appreciate any advice if I am looking to change the dates of travel but try not to have to pay the fare increase.

RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. IF SAME ROUTING BUT DIFFERENT BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN ‡ PREVIOUS TICKET OR 3. USE ANY CURRENT CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET. --------------- AFTER DEPARTURE --------------- RE-PRICE WITH BELOW OPTIONS AND PROVIDE THE BEST FARE TO PASSENGER - 1. IF SAME ROUTING AND BOOKING CLASS - USE ANY CX/KA HISTORICAL FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MAY BE EQUAL/HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET OR 2. USE ANY HISTORICAL CX/KA FARE FOR RE-PRICE AND NEW TICKET MUST BE EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN THE PREVIOUS TICKET.
Originally Posted by sxc
It appears any attempt to change the dates of these tickets WILL require a reprice:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...l#post30607409
Welcome to the forum. If you have a look at this above link to the relevant thread in the mileage run forum, it appears CX is repricing the fare if you attempt to change the dates.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by swbink02

I don't know all the technical details, but - at least for now, and quite possibly for good - you won't be able to make this change without paying for a much higher ticket along the lines of what normal business or first class ticket would cost. As someone posted upthread, there's a chance that CX's algorithms will release the discounted A and J availability that would let you (and many others) change for just $100. But that may be speculative. For now, CX isn't making such fare categories available for changing the mistake fare tickets. Or at least that's my best, non-technical understanding of this situation.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Datapoint- I cancelled my flights today as frankly it goes against my morale compass and has bothered me since I booked them. I reached out to Cathay via Twitter and asked for a cancellation fee waiver since at the end of the day they can sell these two seats at full fare and make a boatload of money compared to the mistake fare. Sadly they responded as such:
" we are unable to waive the cancellation fee at our end, we will charge it according to the terms and condition."

I now have a new understanding of the people who take great pleasure in giving it to an airline. Think about the dollars and cents involved in this situation and ask yourself if you were a decision maker why you would not support a waiver of the cancellation fee. I applauded them for owning their mistake and honoring the tickets, however I have an incredibly bad taste in my mouth with how they are handling the cancellation.
I don’t understand why people ask the social media team to handle these things. Just pick up a phone and call the reservations hotline. Most likely they will have a better handle on things.

Datapoint HK blogger who missed his connection because he wasn’t aware of the transit rules at DAD was a cancellation fee waiver.
jona970318 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

I don’t understand why people ask the social media team to handle these things. Just pick up a phone and call the reservations hotline. Most likely they will have a better handle on things.

Datapoint HK blogger who missed his connection because he wasn’t aware of the transit rules at DAD was a cancellation fee waiver.
I always prefer to use written correspondence so I have a record, in case there is any "funny business" that goes on later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.