Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by brodielayne
I cancelled my fare as I did not feel good about the mistake fare. My cancelling of the fare allows CX to sell my fare for 10-20x what they sold said fare to me. They give up a couple hundred bucks to make $10-30k off of my cancellation and both parties are happy. What part of that do you not understand?
incredibly short sighted to think its in in CXs interest to waive cancellation penalties.

if it was a one-off game, sure, but in a repeated game scenario, its better for them to stick to the T&C on cancellation. why? if they let you cancel for free now, they are in effect writing you (and all pax) a free option to cancel. so if it were the case that they were let pax cancel mistake fares without penalty, next round, I will book 50 tickets, knowing there is zero downside to me if they honour it as i can cancel without penalty!

on the other hand, CX retains their right to honour/dishonour mistake fares should this happen in future.
jona970318 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
I cancelled my fare as I did not feel good about the mistake fare. My cancelling of the fare allows CX to sell my fare for 10-20x what they sold said fare to me. They give up a couple hundred bucks to make $10-30k off of my cancellation and both parties are happy. What part of that do you not understand?
You cancel your ticket, they get $250 AND get to sell your fare for 10-20x what they sold it to you. Think that's pretty easy to understand...and I'm someone who might have to eat the cancellation fee myself.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:43 am

It was NYE, I had a few beers in me. What's it really matter? CX should have been happy to waive the fee to get back their ability to make their usual revenue.
obviously you F up the dates and cant use the ticket now and cant change it.

no need to play mr nice guy.

Either take the flight or cough up the change fee.

end of discussion
chitink and AJ747M like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert

obviously you F up the dates and cant use the ticket now and cant change it.

no need to play mr nice guy.

Either take the flight or cough up the change fee.

end of discussion
Nope, dates do not matter. And not trying to play anything. What I have stated speaks for itself....... And you do not get to decide when the discussion ends.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

Nop, I not even have ties with NA. I have no interest to go from VN to NA. I notice some extra load on HKG-EU, though can easily handle that.

A fan: No (only a little bit Yes), CX does do many, many stupid things, though on the other hand, the people at the front line are very pleasant to deal with, the overall product is far better then many other carriers and for MY travel, they provide reasonable pricing.

Work for CX: Nop.

Shares in CX: Nop.

Not sure what P&L stands for in your world, so I can not judge about your last statement. Sorry.

Originally Posted by londonexpert
please do not get personal
Thanks, No problem though, I am used that people don't agree with me, comes with my job

Last edited by sxc; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:00 am Reason: Remove deleted quote
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Nope, dates do not matter. And not trying to play anything. What I have stated speaks for itself....... And you do not get to decide when the discussion ends.
Your logic/argument makes no sense to me. Your case is of little difference than a 'normal' case with a passenger buying a super cheap ticket then later wanting to cancel for whatever reasons and ask for a waiver. Of course, in your case your ticket was bought at a super deep discount and the $$$ term magnified.

So say next time when I want to cancel my deeply discounted ticket I bought on an overbooked flight, do you think I could use your same 'Come on, CX! You get my seat back and can make more profit out of it' logic to get my cancellation fee waived? I don't think so! Nice try, but it is a sure no from CX!
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Your logic/argument makes no sense to me. Your case is of little difference than a 'normal' case with a passenger buying a super cheap ticket then later wanting to cancel for whatever reasons and ask for a waiver. Of course, in your case your ticket was bought at a super deep discount and the $$$ term magnified.

So say next time when I want to cancel my deeply discounted ticket I bought on an overbooked flight, do you think I could use your same 'Come on, CX! You get my seat back and can make more profit out of it' logic to get my cancellation fee waived? I don't think so! Nice try, but it is a sure no from CX!
I expect nothing less from the CX crowd. Curious, any chance you know what a P&L is?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:27 am

I expect nothing less from the CX crowd. Curious, any chance you know what a P&L is?
Yes I do of course!
But rules are rules. I am sure CX did the math to figure out it's ok to honor these mistake fares. And your case proved that they might be actually right on the P&L management front, get your $250USD fee and the chance to resell your seat at the normal price!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:35 am

Curious, any chance you know what a P&L is?
Is it a sandwich with pickles & lettuce?
jona970318 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Is it a sandwich with pickles & lettuce?
Profit and Loss lol (I wasn't sure if you're serious; but it's more of a British term I think)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Profit and Loss lol (I wasn't sure if you're serious; but it's more of a British term I think)
Aha, that explains why I don't know that abbreviation. I only deal with Profits
jona970318 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:48 am

Not serious at all. Im just playing around since this thread has descended to a childish level.

Now, back to more important issues.

Oddly, CX lists two lounges at HAN. One is the Vietnam Airlines lounge and the other sounds like it is run by the airport operator. Anyone have insights on which lounge CX is likely to direct pax too and whether one is better than the other?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Not serious at all. Im just playing around since this thread has descended to a childish level.

Now, back to more important issues.

Oddly, CX lists two lounges at HAN. One is the Vietnam Airlines lounge and the other sounds like it is run by the airport operator. Anyone have insights on which lounge CX is likely to direct pax too and whether one is better than the other?
Vietnam airlines lounge.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ss-lounge.html

Lounges in Vietnam are generally of a middling to low standard.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

1. in a one game scenario - it is NPV positive for CX to refund you the money.
2. in a repeated game scenario, assuming CX is a going concern and is going to be selling tickets for the forseeable future, it is not in their interest to refund you, even if they can sell the ticket at a higher price, if they do THEY ARE GIVING YOU and SUBSEQUENT PURCHASERS A FREE OPTION.

Someone put it simply upthread - if you buy a deep discount ticket I ticket with XXX cancellation penalty and come flight time, its J1, D0, I0 etc etc, you say you want to refund. You think it is in CX's long term interests to let you refund and resell your ticket for 5X the price you bought it?

Last edited by sxc; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:36 am Reason: Remove personal comments
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by sxc

Vietnam airlines lounge.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ss-lounge.html

Lounges in Vietnam are generally of a middling to low standard.
Thats the page Im referring to. The drop down menu also lists the Noibai International Airport Business Class Lounge as being used.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.