Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
It appears any attempt to change the dates of these tickets WILL require a reprice:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...l#post30607409
Are you surprised?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
This is my biggest concern (but only if you care about trans pacific routes).

I don't understand why Cathay is even honoring these tickets. But if that's the decision they've made, they can reduce their exposure by converting these mispriced tickets to award tickets and not offer any redeemable miles/segment credit. They should also only honor one mispriced ticket per passenger name and cancel the rest.
Are you saying that because it will benefit you personally?

Put yourself in CX’s shoes, why would they do that? It isn’t honouring the contract, it would unilaterally be changing it and for what purpose, for most the miles earned are small fry to them and like someone said mostly not going to be on their own programme.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by navylad

Put yourself in CX’s shoes, why would they do that? It isn’t honouring the contract, it would unilaterally be changing it and for what purpose, for most the miles earned are small fry to them and like someone said mostly not going to be on their own programme.
This made me think - CX is going to incur more cost purchasing the miles which are earned in AA / AS / Other programs.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by sxc
@navylad I don’t begrudge you taking advantage of the deal. But one thing you probably need to see in context is that CX Diamonds fly A LOT to get there. And to get their upgrade passes they fly even more. Way way more than is required to get emerald in any other oneworld program.

So if CX honouring this will truly affect the ability to use their upgrade vouchers, then I think being upset is a valid sentiment.
there is a diamond member who has booked 8 of these.

i know a few other diamonds who booked these fare too.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Presumably award space in J and F is going to be pretty scarce for the next 12 months or so....

I think, not only the award space to NA is scarce, though also regular J/F tickets as well as award/regular tickets to EUR. The latter, because it can be expected a lot of CX flying Asians wanting to go to NA for leisure trips, now go to EUR ..... I just booked a ticket EUR-HKG-BKK 9 months out and there were only a few seats available. For 4-5 months out, nothing (or at least not much) reasonably priced available.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pbd456
there is a diamond member who has booked 8 of these.

i know a few other diamonds who booked these fare too.
My I bought 2, and my total annual spend on CX will definitely go down this year...
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by marcuslai
Just a couple data points from friends who booked the "special" fare re: impact on redemptions --

1. one booked April CX 888/9 HKG-JFK with the intention of a friend from Vancouver joining him on the YVR-JFK segments. that friend was able to redeem Z on those shorter segments.
2. another booked December CX 840/5 HKG-JFK in J. he was able to get a standard award to ugprade the 840 to Z. 845 was also available but at a higher category.

While surely impacted, seems there is still decent availability in Z.
888/889 yer-jfk should not be impacted too much by this fare error as most of them will take the non stop to jfk
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert

888/889 yer-jfk should not be impacted too much by this fare error as most of them will take the non stop to jfk
maybe not, I notice a lot of people in Hong Kong buy the bug fare to Vancouver only, since some people don’t have US Visa
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by sxc
This made me think - CX is going to incur more cost purchasing the miles which are earned in AA / AS / Other programs.
Exactly, DAD-HKG-JFK return in J will generate over 50,000 redeemable miles if credited to AS. Assuming a low-ball valuation of US$0.01 per mile and to keep things simple, that's USD500 per ticket. Even if no cash changes hands, those 50k miles represent another one-way J class award flight on CX in the future (assuming the AS award chart doesn't change).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:32 am

I have no skin in the game, but I am looking at it from a shareholders' or employees' perspective.

With all the pain inflicted on shareholders and employees over the past few years, I don't understand why management decided to give in so easily. Everyone knew it was a mistake fare. There's no contract for mistake fares. No one knows how many tickets were sold at the sub-$1000 fare, but it was on every blog for hours. Assume 10000 tickets. Even if we haircut that figure by 50% because some of that inventory would have been "sold" as partner reward redemptions anyway, that's still USD 50-100mn in lost top-line revenue (which flows straight to pretax profit). Maybe not as bad as fuel hedging losses, but I don't see why management thinks they can absorb this. As others have stated, it also plays havoc on yield management for transpacific flights over the next 11-12 months.
HarbourGent and windchaser777 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sxc
It appears any attempt to change the dates of these tickets WILL require a reprice:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...l#post30607409
Not surprising to me... Even full fare subclass Y / J tickets require flyer to pay fare difference in case of changing before first segment is flown... Once first segment is flown further change is free

But I doubt how many of those VERY special fare tickets will need changes once first segment is flown
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
the disasterous day to redemptions!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Exactly, DAD-HKG-JFK return in J will generate over 50,000 redeemable miles if credited to AS. Assuming a low-ball valuation of US$0.01 per mile and to keep things simple, that's USD500 per ticket. Even if no cash changes hands, those 50k miles represent another one-way J class award flight on CX in the future (assuming the AS award chart doesn't change).
CX certainly isn’t paying anywhere near this for the miles, your using a figure in the region it would cost a member of the public to purchase the miles, such as for Avios, average around 1.3 US cents per Avios would cost £336 to purchase and would get you a return ticket to a European destination from London, nowhere near a LH J ticket one-way.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

CX certainly isn’t paying anywhere near this for the miles, your using a figure in the region it would cost a member of the public to purchase the miles, such as for Avios, average around 1.3 US cents per Avios would cost £336 to purchase and would get you a return ticket to a European destination from London, nowhere near a J ticket one-way.
hes probably right on the amount needed per mile. 0.8 - 1 UScper mile. joe public normally pays closer to US 2c (especially for AS).

put another way assuming crediting to AS, CX is lumping in a free one way J redemption Asia to NA (50k AS miles).

Go Army Beat Navy
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by cyster2007

maybe not, I notice a lot of people in Hong Kong buy the bug fare to Vancouver only, since some people don’t have US Visa
Yes, exactly. I was planning for a long time to book TPE-HKG-YVR in Business and use the Diamond mid-tier benefit to upgrade HKG-YVR and YVR-HKG sectors to First in A. Was checking this for a month by doing dummy bookings; the "A" fare was available for my flights (in late-March) for both sectors, but after this "surprise sale", "A" fares have been wiped out and only "F" available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.