Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
AF does not need to oversell its F cabin to downgrade those mistake fare tickets. It simply needs to identify those tickets and flag such in the system. AF never noticed the ticket holders about the downgrades. It just did it when the ticketholder check in. That is the best part, the downgrades did not happen until within 24 hours of the departure. If you are interested you can read the old thread how the BAD NEWS being found out - when at OLCI, or in one poster's case, he is a travel agent so he has access to the reservation system and he saw his whole itinerary was downgraded to Y...
That might be an interesting read. Do you have a link to that ?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by dddc
Interesting to hear this. Working in systems projects, it's history like this that can get built to stop future occurrences happening. But the thing is systems folk won't know what to build unless the business folk tell them about it. You either need experienced Business Analysts who can make suggestions like this, or a good business based subject matter expert who has thought about the scenarios that can go wrong. Too often systems are built following the vanilla path and then when it gets released into the real world, suddenly all the issues get discovered. Then it also comes down to cost and performance. Monitoring systems more frequently may mean some parts slow down affecting performance, something a lot of businesses don't want to happen.
If you want a system in place to resolve the found issues, then things do get complicated (both at the business level as well technical). Just delaying, putting suspicious transactions on hold for manual validation (for example, more sales than 20% of the average, etc), isn't that difficult to implement.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I will declare that I got the good (bought 2 SGNJFK myself and would probably put myself in position for between a double/triple DM renewal in 2019) but at the same time the bad and ugly (looks like a US flight I was looking to apply a BUD on in mid 2019 has had its A inventory (ie my BUD cert as well) cannibalized because of this), so Im not sure what to make of this and not particularly overjoyed that they decided to honor this just yet...I can just feel sorry and how bad some of our fellow high yielding/fare paying DMs may feel here. Penalizing DMs from using our hard earned coveted certs (or limitedly splurging on A fares) because of this...well...makes me feel rather dismayed at the same time. Guess I cant have my cake and eat it!

PS I dont have much sympathy from mileage redeemers complaining however. These tickets IMO are not exactly any more superior either...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
If Because Air behaves like British Airways, no
Need to buy a hat to stew now...
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by JALPak

CX has already announced they will honor the tickets on twitter. The First Class sold were A fares, which are often sold at discounted rates anyway. E.g. CX wont get close to retail rates from AONEx tickets
Still, very generous of them.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:41 am

CX has already announced they will honor the tickets on twitter. The First Class sold were A fares, which are often sold at discounted rates anyway. E.g. CX wont get close to retail rates from AONEx tickets

As published in Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...keting-blooper

Crossing fingers for my HAN-HKG-SFO return in F for 2 passengers (February) and one way HAN-HKG-YVR in F for 2 passengers (May)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
pretty impressed. but they have set a bad precedent for themsleves now.... next time it happens if it goes to court this will be a.precedent on behalf of claimant.

to all those DMs... it sends you a clear message... CX cares.about it petty public relations and look good at cost of your geuine business. they value those arbing backpackers than your past xxx Years of loyalty and hard cash... go decide urself if this is airline u want to stick to.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:10 am

I had a fully paid booking in F for 2 pax on HKG-JFK in 3 weeks. The seat map has gone from just the two of us on the flight on Monday morning, to a full cabin on Wednesday morning. We were looking forward to this flight, but now not so much, as more recently I have been a victim of many F flights on CX where full cabins didn't always mean getting your first choices on things/running out of things, especially on such a long sector.

Had an annoying loud talking blogger/photographer standing on seats for photos, bragging to crew in aisles etc. for most of the flight till a couple of us had to ask the CSM to take action (which they did and had them delete pics of pax and videos as well since a woman and her husband complained about intrusion on their privacy). Fingers crossed non of those are with us on our flight too.
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fakecd
to all those DMs... it sends you a clear message... CX cares.about it petty public relations and look good at cost of your geuine business. they value those arbing backpackers than your past xxx Years of loyalty and hard cash... go decide urself if this is airline u want to stick to.
Yes I agree. A bit on the same vein as thrashing HKG captives and rewarding grAAbers and grASpers.

(No personal skin in this. Was awake at 6:30am. Looked at the fares and decided not to partake for my wife and myself. I also assessed the redemption aspect and believe it is no threat to YVR uncle because we've redeemed Feb and Jul 19 and this fare can't affect Feb 20).
hew204 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Happy for those who were able to take advantage of this. I was quite surprised by CX's generosity particularly as it relates to honoring the F fares. However, as a frequent purchaser of CX premium fares to the US, I hope I don't run into issues with finding F availability or else this will reduce my spend with CX in 2019.
It's already looking like I won't be able to use my DM upgrades on US routes, which is definitely a hit to how I will value DM in 2019.

Last edited by hew204; Jan 2, 2019 at 3:25 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA
Was waiting for an F award from US in February and the inventory went from A4 to F2 in one day. Seems like my chance is very dim now.

Last edited by rays; Jan 2, 2019 at 4:14 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

As I said before, most F pax use A fares. And if the full F return fare from US is like USD30,000,discounted A fares might be USD20,000. It is a far cry from 1,000.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I will declare that I got the good (bought 2 SGNJFK myself and would probably put myself in position for between a double/triple DM renewal in 2019) but at the same time the bad and ugly (looks like a US flight I was looking to apply a BUD on in mid 2019 has had its A inventory (ie my BUD cert as well) cannibalized because of this), so Im not sure what to make of this and not particularly overjoyed that they decided to honor this just yet...I can just feel sorry and how bad some of our fellow high yielding/fare paying DMs may feel here. Penalizing DMs from using our hard earned coveted certs (or limitedly splurging on A fares) because of this...well...makes me feel rather dismayed at the same time. Guess I cant have my cake and eat it!

PS I dont have much sympathy from mileage redeemers complaining however. These tickets IMO are not exactly any more superior either...
why dont you then cancel the ticket and release the space to make yourself feel better?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
pretty impressed. but they have set a bad precedent for themsleves now.... next time it happens if it goes to court this will be a.precedent on behalf of claimant.

and change to which airline?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Cambo
If you want a system in place to resolve the found issues, then things do get complicated (both at the business level as well technical). Just delaying, putting suspicious transactions on hold for manual validation (for example, more sales than 20% of the average, etc), isn't that difficult to implement.
But the issue is business people may never have thought the situation that just happened could happen.. Or that the risk of it happening was so small that it outweighed the cost of developing a solution for it. Too be fair if this was a case of fares being loaded incorrectly, simply building a check for a 2nd user to authorise the changes would reduce the risk of it happening again. That would be far easier than building an algorithm to spot unusual transactions like this, imho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.