Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Robbie0129
Just checked. I am booked to class D and i can change my schedule with only $100 without even taking the first leg.
did you book directly with CX or an OTA?

was able to find out how to change tickets for $100/piece. Only issue now is the preferred return in October is unavailable until 1 week prior to what we wanted but that could still work except for 1:35a departure time meansbwouldblikely sleep on the plane instead of really enjoying business class. Any thoughts? Looking for D around 10/25-28 but latest date available is 10/19. Think they’ll release more each day we get closer?

Last edited by lovefly88; Jan 13, 2019 at 5:30 am Reason: Found issue
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
I wonder if CX is tracking all the members that have purchased these great fares. I flew XMN-HKG this morning and the flight was full but didn't get an opup. I have always been upgraded on this route when Y is full.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chentaiman
I wonder if CX is tracking all the members that have purchased these great fares. I flew XMN-HKG this morning and the flight was full but didn't get an opup. I have always been upgraded on this route when Y is full.
I would really doubt they are tracking people who took advantage of these fares so that they can avoid giving them Op Ups
brunos, QRC3288, haroon145 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by absoluy
I would really doubt they are tracking people who took advantage of these fares so that they can avoid giving them Op Ups
I would suggest the IT effort required to effect such vengeance would be much better spent on safeguards to prevent further error fares!
Calchas and Gongzuokuang like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
Just called the reservation center in HK, The CSO said the ticket allows date change. It will only incur US$100 change fee. However, if it involves a route change then it will be repriced.

BTW, she called it a flash sale ticket
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Just called the reservation center in HK, The CSO said the ticket allows date change. It will only incur US$100 change fee. However, if it involves a route change then it will be repriced.

Congrats.

If was a "flash" sales, though with the wrong ticket class/pricing.......
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold

Is that the route for All CX's itinerary or the one with AA?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Anyone know how to check CX inventories with a Vietnam point of sale? I'm seeing J and A availability on HANHKGJFK (married segs) using almost all other POS, but CX agents say there's no availability. Keen to see potential dates for a change before calling.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Anyone know how to check CX inventories with a Vietnam point of sale? I'm seeing J and A availability on HANHKGJFK (married segs) using almost all other POS, but CX agents say there's no availability. Keen to see potential dates for a change before calling.
It's likely that CX did something on the back end to prevent changes at historical fare for these flash sale fares. The website will offer business class (+hefty fare difference) you want to change one segment. If you change two you get offered F for 20-30k difference.
​​​​​
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I’m sure that there are easier ways - till then, you could try to price up a VN originating itinerary, with your desired sectors in- but beware that it could show you just the higher fareclasses even if there is availability in the lower ones- eg, in case the F fare HAN-JFK isn’t combinable with the A fare, a r/t search will show just F, if A is available in one direction only. (I don’t have a clue of the then or current fare rules- so, do check)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:02 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by jagmeets

I’m sure that there are easier ways - till then, you could try to price up a VN originating itinerary, with your desired sectors in- but beware that it could show you just the higher fareclasses even if there is availability in the lower ones- eg, in case the F fare HAN-JFK isn’t combinable with the A fare, a r/t search will show just F, if A is available in one direction only. (I don’t have a clue of the then or current fare rules- so, do check)
with ITAMatrix you can set the sales city to Vietnam, I can see the fare AAARRVN8 with A and J worldwide availability matching EF, but attempting to change existing CX reservation to those same dates online always results in automatic downgrade to business (I) only plus higher fare. I think you would have to call in and see.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
couldnt reply any earlier but im surprised at the hostility here. i think CX makes more money on these tickets than grASpers/grAAbers. so the ones really missing out is those who wants to spend miles.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
i think CX makes more money on these tickets than grASpers/grAAbers.
A bit off topic, and not meant to be a value judgement, but can someone explain the use of "grASper/grAAber" in this subforum?
I've been lurking for a while and I've seen it pop-up occasionally. Do CX forum members feel ill will towards those who redeem F/J seats through partners?
I thought the main issues were MPC devaluations, annoying "travel hackers," and hub captivity, so I feel like I'm missing something here.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
The hostility is weird. I think it's because it's relatively inexpensive to redeem CX F through those programmes, even if one does not fly AS at all, for example. Which results in CX F being less exclusive than some people here might like.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:44 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
The hostility is weird. I think it's because it's relatively inexpensive to redeem CX F through those programmes, even if one does not fly AS at all, for example. Which results in CX F being less exclusive than some people here might like.
I don't think it's so much the exclusivity but that if you are a loyal CX customer saving to Asia Miles at its relatively low earn rates, it takes more points to redeem seats on CX with more restrictive rules than those who earned AA and AS miles much more easily. So it feels like the airline biting the hand that feeds them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.