Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift

Reply

Old Jan 13, 19, 5:47 am
  #331  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by Robbie0129 View Post
Just checked. I am booked to class D and i can change my schedule with only $100 without even taking the first leg.
did you book directly with CX or an OTA?


was able to find out how to change tickets for $100/piece. Only issue now is the preferred return in October is unavailable until 1 week prior to what we wanted but that could still work except for 1:35a departure time meansbwouldblikely sleep on the plane instead of really enjoying business class. Any thoughts? Looking for D around 10/25-28 but latest date available is 10/19. Think theyíll release more each day we get closer?

Last edited by lovefly88; Jan 13, 19 at 6:30 am Reason: Found issue
lovefly88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:07 pm
  #332  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HKG,CN, CA
Programs: CX GO, Freccia Alata, Hilton Gold
Posts: 169
I wonder if CX is tracking all the members that have purchased these great fares. I flew XMN-HKG this morning and the flight was full but didn't get an opup. I have always been upgraded on this route when Y is full.
chentaiman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:18 pm
  #333  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by chentaiman View Post
I wonder if CX is tracking all the members that have purchased these great fares. I flew XMN-HKG this morning and the flight was full but didn't get an opup. I have always been upgraded on this route when Y is full.
I would really doubt they are tracking people who took advantage of these fares so that they can avoid giving them Op Ups
brunos, QRC3288, haroon145 and 3 others like this.
absoluy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 19, 2:46 am
  #334  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,120
Originally Posted by absoluy View Post
I would really doubt they are tracking people who took advantage of these fares so that they can avoid giving them Op Ups
I would suggest the IT effort required to effect such vengeance would be much better spent on safeguards to prevent further error fares!
Calchas and Gongzuokuang like this.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:27 am
  #335  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HKG,CN, CA
Programs: CX GO, Freccia Alata, Hilton Gold
Posts: 169
Just called the reservation center in HK, The CSO said the ticket allows date change. It will only incur US$100 change fee. However, if it involves a route change then it will be repriced.

BTW, she called it a flash sale ticket
chentaiman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:48 am
  #336  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: MPC-Gold, Enrich-Plat
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by chentaiman View Post
Just called the reservation center in HK, The CSO said the ticket allows date change. It will only incur US$100 change fee. However, if it involves a route change then it will be repriced.

BTW, she called it a flash sale ticket
Congrats.

If was a "flash" sales, though with the wrong ticket class/pricing.......
Cambo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 19, 6:16 am
  #337  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: HKG,SIN,CAN
Programs: CX SL, HU Gold, JL
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by chentaiman View Post
Just called the reservation center in HK, The CSO said the ticket allows date change. It will only incur US$100 change fee. However, if it involves a route change then it will be repriced.

BTW, she called it a flash sale ticket
Is that the route for All CX's itinerary or the one with AA?
pochi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 1:10 pm
  #338  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
Posts: 2,717
Anyone know how to check CX inventories with a Vietnam point of sale? I'm seeing J and A availability on HANHKGJFK (married segs) using almost all other POS, but CX agents say there's no availability. Keen to see potential dates for a change before calling.
SFO_FT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:21 pm
  #339  
Hilton Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Anyone know how to check CX inventories with a Vietnam point of sale? I'm seeing J and A availability on HANHKGJFK (married segs) using almost all other POS, but CX agents say there's no availability. Keen to see potential dates for a change before calling.
It's likely that CX did something on the back end to prevent changes at historical fare for these flash sale fares. The website will offer business class (+hefty fare difference) you want to change one segment. If you change two you get offered F for 20-30k difference.
​​​​​
ft543 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:39 pm
  #340  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Anyone know how to check CX inventories with a Vietnam point of sale? I'm seeing J and A availability on HANHKGJFK (married segs) using almost all other POS, but CX agents say there's no availability. Keen to see potential dates for a change before calling.
Iím sure that there are easier ways - till then, you could try to price up a VN originating itinerary, with your desired sectors in- but beware that it could show you just the higher fareclasses even if there is availability in the lower ones- eg, in case the F fare HAN-JFK isnít combinable with the A fare, a r/t search will show just F, if A is available in one direction only. (I donít have a clue of the then or current fare rules- so, do check)
jagmeets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:02 pm
  #341  
jix
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YYZ, NYC
Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, JGC Premier, IHG Platinum, UA Silver
Posts: 803
Originally Posted by jagmeets View Post


Iím sure that there are easier ways - till then, you could try to price up a VN originating itinerary, with your desired sectors in- but beware that it could show you just the higher fareclasses even if there is availability in the lower ones- eg, in case the F fare HAN-JFK isnít combinable with the A fare, a r/t search will show just F, if A is available in one direction only. (I donít have a clue of the then or current fare rules- so, do check)
with ITAMatrix you can set the sales city to Vietnam, I can see the fare AAARRVN8 with A and J worldwide availability matching EF, but attempting to change existing CX reservation to those same dates online always results in automatic downgrade to business (I) only plus higher fare. I think you would have to call in and see.
jix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:26 pm
  #342  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,474
couldnt reply any earlier but im surprised at the hostility here. i think CX makes more money on these tickets than grASpers/grAAbers. so the ones really missing out is those who wants to spend miles.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
kaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 12:15 am
  #343  
Hilton Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
i think CX makes more money on these tickets than grASpers/grAAbers.
A bit off topic, and not meant to be a value judgement, but can someone explain the use of "grASper/grAAber" in this subforum?
I've been lurking for a while and I've seen it pop-up occasionally. Do CX forum members feel ill will towards those who redeem F/J seats through partners?
I thought the main issues were MPC devaluations, annoying "travel hackers," and hub captivity, so I feel like I'm missing something here.
ft543 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 12:53 am
  #344  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Posts: 625
The hostility is weird. I think it's because it's relatively inexpensive to redeem CX F through those programmes, even if one does not fly AS at all, for example. Which results in CX F being less exclusive than some people here might like.
kaka likes this.
zeltergiset is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 1:44 am
  #345  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Posts: 9,250
Originally Posted by zeltergiset View Post
The hostility is weird. I think it's because it's relatively inexpensive to redeem CX F through those programmes, even if one does not fly AS at all, for example. Which results in CX F being less exclusive than some people here might like.
I don't think it's so much the exclusivity but that if you are a loyal CX customer saving to Asia Miles at its relatively low earn rates, it takes more points to redeem seats on CX with more restrictive rules than those who earned AA and AS miles much more easily. So it feels like the airline biting the hand that feeds them.
sxc is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: