Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX F: Better Lounges Departing LAX or JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold

Based on the research I've done so far, it looks like departing LAX, I'd have access to the Qantas First lounge (maybe also the American lounge, but that's in a different terminal). Meanwhile in JFK, I'd have access to the American Flagship First lounge, and Flagship First dining as well. The options departing SFO, ORD, BOS, YYZ, or YVR don't look comparable to these two.

Any opinions from people who've tried either or both of these lounge?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Qantas F lounge at LAX is very good with an excellent menu ( might be slighty better than the Pier F menu now). It can get busier in the evening as a lot of transpacific and australian flights leave between 9 and 11 pm ( plus a BA A380 at 930pm which I have been on). Showers are also available
Although the AA Flagship lounge is in T4 it is now connected by an airsde connecting corridor so you can walk back and forth between the terminals with no further security ( it is about a 5min walk max from the Qantas F to the AA Flagship lounge)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:56 pm

They're both very good. The menu at the Qantas F lounge at LAX is larger and more varied than flagship dining at JFK. On the other hand, Flagship dining JFK serves Krug these days (if you're into that sort of thing), has slightly better service, and is always quiet and serene, unlike the Qantas lounge, which can get very busy at times. I'd say that overall food quality is similar, and probably depends more on day than anything else.

Overall, it's probably a wash - realistically it probably makes sense to book whichever one is more convenient for you.

(visited both ~6 times each)
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Will CX F out of LAX allow entry into AA's Flagship First Dining as it does at JFK?

I suspect not.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by allthem
They're both very good. The menu at the Qantas F lounge at LAX is larger and more varied than flagship dining at JFK. On the other hand, Flagship dining JFK serves Krug these days (if you're into that sort of thing), has slightly better service, and is always quiet and serene, unlike the Qantas lounge, which can get very busy at times. I'd say that overall food quality is similar, and probably depends more on day than anything els.

Overall, it's probably a wash - realistically it probably makes sense to book whichever one is more convenient for you.

(visited both ~6 times each)
Based on this, I'm really looking forward to Flagship Dining/Lounges in LAX and JFK in February. I really like the QF F lounge at LAX, especially the menu and food.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: CX Diamond, United MileagePlus Gold, Accor Platinum
To me, in no doubt, the LAX Qantas F lounge is better. Good food, good service. Just a bit busy sometimes.
E55 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Hands down JFK Flagship Dining. Great quality food and drink (Krug!), elegant and quiet space. Attentive service. LAX QF First is also good, but I think the food is not as good as Flagship Dining and it turns really really busy in the evenings (2 CX, multiple QF departures as well as a BA 380).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:55 am

I am flying from JFK to HKG in First on a reward ticket on Wednesday, January 16th.
American Airlines told me this morning (via a direct message on twitter) that if I am flying on CX in F, I cannot use Flagship First Dining. I am not sure if the information is accurate. Can someone give me the policy on this?

There is mention to "book" in a thread above. How can I book for Flagship First Dining?

Last edited by satish_ny; Jan 14, 2019 at 6:19 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by satish_ny
I am flying from JFK to HKF in First on a reward ticket on Wednesday, January 16th.
American Airlines told me this morning (via a direct message on twitter) that if I am flying on CX in F, I cannot use Flagship First Dining. I am not sure if the information is accurate. Can someone give me the policy on this?

There is mention to "book" in a thread above. How can I book for Flagship First Dining?
No need to book, you can definitely enter the flagship first dining
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
JFK is now better but would not choose my routing based on this. Haven't posted much positive about AA in a while but their new flagship first lounges actually are nice.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:53 pm

I thought Flagship First dinnig was only for those flying AA F?
YMMV
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I thought Flagship First dinnig was only for those flying AA F?
YMMV
not in JFK, I think CX deal with AA, few times I had been there already
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Id just go with whatever airport is closer to your home. Lounge is decent in both places.
rufflesinc and somemale like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by kar don
Id just go with whatever airport is closer to your home. Lounge is decent in both places.
i would also definitely not add connection time at LAX or JFK at the expense of connection time at HKG
somemale likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
To be clear, Flagship Dining access at JFK for CX F pax is by special arrangement between CX and AA, which I believe does *not* extend to other outports such as LAX. LAX F pax can use the QF/joint OW F lounge in TBIT, as stated upthread, or the normal AA Flagship Lounge in T4 (connected to TBIT by a secure airside connector).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.