Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Credit card decline (AVS failure) when booking CX flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I’m US based and I’ve recently had troubles booking ex-Asia CX flights. Whenever I try to book ex-Asia flights with CX directly, my credit card gets declined because CX doesn’t collect my billing address. As a result, I need to call the card issuer every time and have them temporarily override the AVS process.

Booking ex-US tickets with CX works just fine because they collect billing address info. But they don’t do that in other localities. Having to call my CC issuer (Chase VISA) is rather annoying.

Anyone know of any workarounds? I’ve tried CX.com and the mobile app. The app didn’t even allow me to hit the submit button to pay, so that was useless. I know an OTA would work, but I’d rather book direct.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
I know an OTA would work, but I’d rather book direct.
Why? It is not working very well at all. Use a human TA where you live and help someone have a job.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by swingaling
I’m US based and I’ve recently had troubles booking ex-Asia CX flights. Whenever I try to book ex-Asia flights with CX directly, my credit card gets declined because CX doesn’t collect my billing address. As a result, I need to call the card issuer every time and have them temporarily override the AVS process.

Booking ex-US tickets with CX works just fine because they collect billing address info. But they don’t do that in other localities. Having to call my CC issuer (Chase VISA) is rather annoying.

Anyone know of any workarounds? I’ve tried CX.com and the mobile app. The app didn’t even allow me to hit the submit button to pay, so that was useless. I know an OTA would work, but I’d rather book direct.
Maybe it is Chase Visa's issue?
I have no problem booking CX intra-Asia flight ex-HK billing to my Canadian or US issued Visa, Mastercard.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
It should be the fraud and security setting for each bank. the bank receive the order and check if has the address information (which is optional in global standard), and returns the go / no-go signal to the merchant.

The liability shift for verified by visa / master securecode provides a higher protection already and I personally see banks in Asia don't care much more about address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.