SQ PE or CX PE?

Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Question SQ PE or CX PE?

Need to choose between two PE options. SFO-SGN/REP-SFO. We have status on neither airline, nor a partner airline. We have a choice of CX PE on airbus 350-900 with 9 hr HKG layover outbound and and 10 hour layover on return (happy to leave the airport and explore HKG a bit), or SQ PE on a 777-300 outbound and Airbus 350-900 on the return, with a 5.5 hour layover in SIN outbound and a 70 minute layover in SIN on the return.
Anyone here done either, or both PE products?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:22 pm
THR

Have flown both - SQ on A380 and 777, and CX on A330 (CX just a few days ago, SQ 2 1/2 years ago).

SQ was definitely superior: superior seat, superior food, superior drinks.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It's worth pointing out the PE hard product flown by the poster above on the A330 is not the same as the one the OP would experience on the A350 with CX.

CX uses the same seat bones on the A330 and B777, but a different design in both A350 variants. I haven't tried myself and CX may well still he worse, just saying I probably wouldn't bank on that to make a decision due to the hard product differences. Overall the CX A350 PEY seat seems to get favorable reviews here.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:05 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
On the CX A350’s you’re likely to get a plane with dirty and broken toilets: broken in the sense of the mirrors being broken, or the toilet seats are cracked. The plane will generally feel older and more “broken”. Take SQ which has better layovers for you anyway.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:15 pm

I just flew a cx 359 from sin to bkk. I was in bus. but I didn't have any broken mirrors or anything else like that, I have always found cx planes to be clean and well maintained. YMMV.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Since SQ is *A, maybe you should get an Asiana FF# so the miles you get on the flights will be a big step to getting easy status.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:48 pm
THR

Originally Posted by QRC3288
It's worth pointing out the PE hard product flown by the poster above on the A330 is not the same as the one the OP would experience on the A350 with CX.
Yes, I was going to, and perhaps should have, point that out.

The hard product was only one aspect though. Good, drinks and service (ever so slightly) still better on SQ.

I would be perfectly happy flying SQ PE again.

I would not fly CX PE again; so much so I upgraded us to business for the return flight.

CX PE we were served the same food as economy, with a marginally better seat (one that is improved on the A350, admittedly). Might as well just fly economy on any other aircraft though.
Globetrottngal likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I wouldn't bother with SQ PE. All you get is a separate cabin and marginally better seats. You share lavatories with all of the Economy passengers and I think the meal service is exactly the same. It's definitely not worth the price differential IMHO
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX PE meals are different from economy on long haul flights. On regional flights, the meal is the same as economy.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:46 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
CX long haul PE soft product hardly improves upon its Y class product. I would rather fly CX in economy and go for extra leg room seat instead (if cost increase is marginal)

never flown SQ PE so can't compare

Last edited by royng; Dec 26, 2018 at 3:51 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:59 am
THR

Originally Posted by sxc
CX PE meals are different from economy on long haul flights. On regional flights, the meal is the same as economy.
A lesson well learned. Paid double the price for negligible improvement.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:03 am
THR

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I wouldn't bother with SQ PE. All you get is a separate cabin and marginally better seats. You share lavatories with all of the Economy passengers and I think the meal service is exactly the same. It's definitely not worth the price differential IMHO
You can book the cook - but definitely more an economy level meal.

I also found the service very attentive.

But would only pay 20-30% more.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Logistically, you’ll be flying a lot longer on SQ than on CX. On SQ, you have to fly all the way to Singapore, then double back to Saigon. CX is a more direct and shorter flight.

Last edited by CaliforniaSteve; Dec 26, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
full leather seats and BTC on SQ in PE

for those who are not elites, SQ PE includes priority baggage

definitely a superior product
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by QRC3288

CX uses the same seat bones on the A330 and B777, but a different design in both A350 variants. I haven't tried myself and CX may well still he worse, just saying I probably wouldn't bank on that to make a decision due to the hard product differences. Overall the CX A350 PEY seat seems to get favorable reviews here.
I agree and rate the CX A350 product (which I fly regularly on medium-long haul) as superior to SQ's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.