Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dec 20 CX343 HKG-LGW diverted to LHR due to drones sighted near LGW runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec 20 CX343 HKG-LGW diverted to LHR due to drones sighted near LGW runway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

LGW has reopened a few minutea ago according to reports.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
CX 343 from HKG landed at 05.46 this morning. Anyone on CX354 to day to HKG should get away per schedule.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by soy
EU 261 will not apply as this will be classed as extraordinary circumstances completely outside the control of the airline - this was a malicious attack that is under police investigation
EU261 will most certainly apply. The duty of care is always applicable whatever the circumstances. The compensation part may not be.
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by rapidex
EU261 will most certainly apply. The duty of care is always applicable whatever the circumstances. The compensation part may not be.
The compensation part has definitely been ruled out.

Interesting on the BBC yesterday the reporter highlighted Cathay, China Eastern and other non-EU airlines and pointed out that they aren't obliged for even duty of care under EU261 for inward bound flights, only outbound from the EU. EU261 applies to EU carriers in both directions and non-EU carriers when departing an EU country. Airlines are of course at their own discretion are able to supply what support they can or want to. Would be interesting to hear of the experiences of any CX pax stuck in their non-home destination as a result of this and see what support (if any) was given.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by dddc
.. Interesting on the BBC yesterday the reporter highlighted Cathay, China Eastern and other non-EU airlines and pointed out that they aren't obliged for even duty of care under EU261 for inward bound flights, only outbound from the EU. EU261 applies to EU carriers in both directions and non-EU carriers when departing an EU country. Airlines are of course at their own discretion are able to supply what support they can or want to. Would be interesting to hear of the experiences of any CX pax stuck in their non-home destination as a result of this and see what support (if any) was given.
When pax travel onwards, then the duty of care would be the "outbound" airline.

It would be an interesting case, whether the arrival at a neighbouring airport (LHR in stead of LGW) and subsequent transport to LGW, is considered a duty of care item, ie transport further to LGW (which was closed anyway), for those passengers interested in that or just a continuation of the original travel. If a duty of care, then I can imagine, this applies to all airlines, EU and non-EU based and includes the life-goodies. If continuation of to the original destination, then it applies to all airlines, EU and non-EU based, simply because of the CoC, without the life-goodies.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cambo
When pax travel onwards, then the duty of care would be the "outbound" airline.

It would be an interesting case, whether the arrival at a neighbouring airport (LHR in stead of LGW) and subsequent transport to LGW, is considered a duty of care item, ie transport further to LGW (which was closed anyway), for those passengers interested in that or just a continuation of the original travel. If a duty of care, then I can imagine, this applies to all airlines, EU and non-EU based and includes the life-goodies. If continuation of to the original destination, then it applies to all airlines, EU and non-EU based, simply because of the CoC, without the life-goodies.
I have a feeling that would depend on the airline and circumstances. I'm sure I've heard of Ryanair taking people to "nearby" airports and expecting them to make their own way.

In the case of CX343, I imagine you would of had a number of people who would have been glad to get off the plane at LHR and make their own way home/out. Equally there may have been some who had cars parked at LGW or lived nearby and wanted to be taken their. The "simple" logistics would be to get everyone to clear immigration at LHR, get their bags and then those that wanted transport to LGW, to take up whatever arrangements CX were able to throw together. Alternatively they could offer reimbursement of any self travel to LGW either using the connecting coach service or by train (assuming they would let them take both the HEX and GEX plus tube inbetween - it may be quicker than the coach service) .

The trouble is, it's easy for us armchair experts to solutionize. The logistics of reality, especially when you have an event affecting multiple airlines in large numbers throws up a scenario that's probably difficult to prepare for. Not impossible, just with so many variables, difficult.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
I have a feeling that would depend on the airline and circumstances. I'm sure I've heard of Ryanair taking people to "nearby" airports and expecting them to make their own way.
Ugh, ugh, ugh.

In the case of CX343, I imagine you would of had a number of people who would have been glad to get off the plane at LHR and make their own way home/out. Equally there may have been some who had cars parked at LGW or lived nearby and wanted to be taken their. The "simple" logistics would be to get everyone to clear immigration at LHR, get their bags and then those that wanted transport to LGW, to take up whatever arrangements CX were able to throw together. Alternatively they could offer reimbursement of any self travel to LGW either using the connecting coach service or by train (assuming they would let them take both the HEX and GEX plus tube inbetween - it may be quicker than the coach service) .
Yeah, simple for those with a "strong" passport, though those without, can have serious visa issue, if they relied on an air side transfer at LGW (though that'll require a transit visa for many nationalities with a weak passport, AFAIK).

The trouble is, it's easy for us armchair experts to solutionize. The logistics of reality, especially when you have an event affecting multiple airlines in large numbers throws up a scenario that's probably difficult to prepare for. Not impossible, just with so many variables, difficult.
Yes, armchair experts, many of them in the world
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cambo
Yeah, simple for those with a "strong" passport, though those without, can have serious visa issue, if they relied on an air side transfer at LGW (though that'll require a transit visa for many nationalities with a weak passport, AFAIK).
Yes, absolutely right. But given CX343 was flying into Gatwick, I'd be surprised if there was very much, if any, onward travel and all those arriving would have had the correct visas. Regardless, I'm sure that Immigration has some sort of contingency for this situation - which I'm sure unfortunately relies on those pax without the right docs to have to wait until clearance can be given.

I fully appreciate that situation. Years ago I'd booked a RTW ticket with Northwest/KLM. I'd bought a sector Hawaii to Brisbane a year in advance. That sector never actually flew (although the travel agent ticketed it at KLM/NW's ok). They also dropped HNL-SYD, so my only option was to go via Osaka. Of course I didn't have a current visa for Japan at that time so had to stay airside for 6 hours in the old Osaka terminal. Signage was not very clear and I nearly exited the airport until I stopped one of the NW crew who showed me how to get to the "departure lounge". Pre internet days so I didn't know what else I could have done, but definitely didn't want to exit by mistake and suddenly cause a problem for not having the right visa.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:41 am

[QUOTE=dddc;30566779]The compensation part has definitely been ruled out.

That statement is way to premature. There has been no court ruling on the matter. Whatever the CAA said is irrelevant until someone persues the matter through the courts and gets a ruling. It remains to be seen whether the likes of Bott and co will take this on.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:41 am

[QUOTE=dddc;30566779]The compensation part has definitely been ruled out.<br /><br />That statement is way to premature. There has been no court ruling on the matter. Whatever the CAA said is irrelevant until someone persues the matter through the courts and gets a ruling. It remains to be seen whether the likes of Bott and co will take this on.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=rapidex;30567395]
The compensation part has definitely been ruled out.<br /><br />That statement is way to premature. There has been no court ruling on the matter. Whatever the CAA said is irrelevant until someone persues the matter through the courts and gets a ruling. It remains to be seen whether the likes of Bott and co will take this on.
Bott and Co have said No. Two days ago. (21/12/18)

Unfortunately, as the airport closure was an “extraordinary circumstance”, as defined by EU law, and beyond the control of any airline, they are not bound by law to pay compensation that would otherwise be due for flight delays.

Coby Benson, a flight delay compensation solicitor at Bott and Co, said: “The airport was closed due to a decision by air traffic control to suspend flights. As matters stand, any air traffic management decision is deemed to be an extraordinary circumstance under EU Regulation 261 and therefore passengers cannot claim compensation.”
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:29 pm

[QUOTE=dddc;30567970]

Bott and Co have said No. Two days ago. (21/12/18)
Changes nothing I posted. Until a judge rules the matter is up for discussion or challenge. Half the time judges cant agree on the colour of an orange.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Changes nothing I posted. Until a judge rules the matter is up for discussion or challenge. Half the time judges cant agree on the colour of an orange.
I think its more to the point if anyone will bother to take it up to court to ask for EU261 compensation. Given that Bott and Co have made this statement, I don't think they believe their chance of success are good. I ran a test on their website. This was the result:

Your Claim Decision

Sorry it looks like you can't claim

We're sorry but our data shows that this is not a flight we can offer a no-win no-fee service on. If you still want to take this up with the airline then download our free claim letter template here. One of the Flights in your journey (CX354 on 20/12/2018) may have extraordinary circumstances - The runway closure at Gatwick airport due to drone activity could be considered an extraordinary circumstance.
Sure, anyone can take anything to court if they had the time and money, but given most law firms do some tests to see what your chance of success would be, they don't seem to think you'd have a hope. Good luck if you want to spend your money, Bott and Co won't be doing it on a no win no fee basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.