Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dec 20 CX343 HKG-LGW diverted to LHR due to drones sighted near LGW runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec 20 CX343 HKG-LGW diverted to LHR due to drones sighted near LGW runway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking
The British CAA have already ruled that the Gatwick incident (rightly so in my opinion) is an extraordinary circumstance and therefore all airlines are not liable for compensation to passengers!
This is not relevant as far as downgrade compensation is concerned. The fact that an event is an extraordinary circumstance exempts the carrier from paying delay/cancellation compensation under Article 7 of the Regulation but not downgrade compensation under Article 10 of the Regulation.
If the rerouting in Y is what CX offered, then it looks like downgrade compensation is due.
If CX offered PE on another flight but the passenger insisted on flying Y on that flight, then downgrade compensation is probably not due.
If we are in a less clearcut situation somewhere in-between those two scenarios, the passenger may or may not be due downgrade compensation.
nancypants and brunos like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by christep
It's a sad reflection on the state of CX's business that they have room for a plane full of extra people at no notice in the prime week for moving between London and Hong Kong.

I have a few CX shares, but I wish I didn't - the business is obviously f**ked.
But CX has 4 daily flights to LHR and if they swap a 10-abreast 777 they can easily accommodate those pax!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by shd9

But CX has 4 daily flights to LHR and if they swap a 10-abreast 777 they can easily accommodate those pax!
Argh! Haven't those passengers suffered enough already!!!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by shd9

There’s 5 LHR flights.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

And now it looks like more drone sightings and Gatwick will be shut til 6am Friday at least. I see the CX343 for the 21st has been cancelled. Hope they were accommodated to LHR at least.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by christep
It's a sad reflection on the state of CX's business that they have room for a plane full of extra people at no notice in the prime week for moving between London and Hong Kong.

I have a few CX shares, but I wish I didn't - the business is obviously f**ked.
All 5 LHR-HKG flights tomorrow are full (4 out of the 5 are oversold). There’s definitely not room to reaccommodate all the LGW passengers.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:33 pm

As above both Thursday and Friday flights are all completely full and overbooked by at least 20-30 seats in both directions. Good luck to all!

Seems CX have cancelled 21/343 so will be waiting till the airport reopens again to position B-LRJ to LGW to resume service.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
This is not relevant as far as downgrade compensation is concerned. The fact that an event is an extraordinary circumstance exempts the carrier from paying delay/cancellation compensation under Article 7 of the Regulation but not downgrade compensation under Article 10 of the Regulation.
If the rerouting in Y is what CX offered, then it looks like downgrade compensation is due.
If CX offered PE on another flight but the passenger insisted on flying Y on that flight, then downgrade compensation is probably not due.
If we are in a less clearcut situation somewhere in-between those two scenarios, the passenger may or may not be due downgrade compensation.
Thanks for all your helpful answers - I've passed this on to her.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking
The British CAA have already ruled that the Gatwick incident (rightly so in my opinion) is an extraordinary circumstance and therefore all airlines are not liable for compensation to passengers!
What is this rightly so? I interpret "extraordinary" to mean it doesn't happen commonly, meaning it is unlikely to happen again.
On the contrary this is very likely to happen again.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this is not "extraordinary" than nothing is. Even the CJEU has recognized this and one might infer that when the EC issued the Regulation it must have contemplated something.

There will also be bad weather, ATC delays, and any number of other occurences which are "extraordinary". The simple fact is that while there may well be another drone incident which closes an airport, one can't know when and where.

The same is true for the weather. There will be bad weather. But, when?

None of this affects downgrades. If this was a downgrade, which it was not, the customer is due a refund (not compensation) under the Regulation. There is no exception for "extraordinary" circumstances. This is not simply about what the operating carrier offers, but what the passenger seeks. A different story if the passenger asked for a later flight in PE and was denied.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Dec 20, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:01 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Extraordinary Circumstance 14 https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/Downl...?id=4294974505 . Yes it's draft but it's the best we have.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Do you think they would route passengers to other points in Europe and then give them connecting flights, from say Amsterdam as an example? I looked at a Y class booking for today from London to Hong Kong and all options were 2 sectors connecting in Europe - not that anyone would take them as the price was astronomical!!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by dddc
Do you think they would route passengers to other points in Europe and then give them connecting flights, from say Amsterdam as an example? I looked at a Y class booking for today from London to Hong Kong and all options were 2 sectors connecting in Europe - not that anyone would take them as the price was astronomical!!
I've heard they have done that on the opposite direction (ie Hong Kong to London), rerouting pax via AMS or Rome so I would say yes they would, if there are any seats available.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by dddc
many years ago at Heathrow I was offered a hotel overnight, flight to Paris and business class to HK if I volunteered to give up my economy seat ! I agreed but sadly they didn't need my seat at flight close.

Incdientally it seems LGW has reopened and tonight's CX343 scheduled to depart.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhyq

Incdientally it seems LGW has reopened and tonight's CX343 scheduled to depart.
Just heard on the news it's closed again!! 17.30ish GMT. Lets hope it gets off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.