Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Chance of getting on earlier flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP

I am a OWE, I have an upcoming flight on a paid ticket from LAX-HKG-BKK all with CX. I arrive in HKG at 730am, and my flight to BKK is 930PM? Any chance of CX allowing me to get on an earlier flight if seats available. I paid for PEY Ticket, but my HKG- to BKK flight is in economy since they did not have any PEY seats on that aircraft. So, obviously, I am just looking to fly economy- Just hoping to get to BKK a bit earlier.

Also- Should I go to the 1st class lounge agent to ask, or xfer desk?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:08 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You can always ask - it's hard to say whether it will be allowed as it's based on loads, your ticket conditions etc.

I would ask at the First Class lounge.
get0ffdanutzz likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Thank you for your quick reply. Will try the 1st class lounge agent as polite as possible. Otherwise, longgggg day ahead of me. Totally my fault, when I booked the ticket that it was 930am departure not 930pm, since I am use to the 24 hour clock.. Lesson learnt, I will suck it up of they decline me....
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:17 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Assume your ticket is non-changeable? Obviously you should do it ahead of time if the ticket allows.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:52 pm

Give it a go at the first class lounge but be prepared to spend the long day in HK if you don't have a changeable ticket. I have tried twice in recent months in Wing F to change to earlier PVG flights (I and V classes respectively) and both times they demanded the fees.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
I am a OWE, I have an upcoming flight on a paid ticket from LAX-HKG-BKK all with CX. I arrive in HKG at 730am, and my flight to BKK is 930PM? Any chance of CX allowing me to get on an earlier flight if seats available. I paid for PEY Ticket, but my HKG- to BKK flight is in economy since they did not have any PEY seats on that aircraft. So, obviously, I am just looking to fly economy- Just hoping to get to BKK a bit earlier.

Also- Should I go to the 1st class lounge agent to ask, or xfer desk?
CX at BKK (to HKG) were fine with me asking for an earlier flight on paid J. To them I think it's all about seats available or not. There was no well here are the rules and all that, it was sorry it's full on a couple and earlier on a couple others. PEY has to be able as well where they may have little interest in redoing a cheaper Y ticket. It's surprising at the time of booking there were no HKG-BKK flights for 14 hours. If they were sold out you have to think it's gotten worse vs. better but asking is harmless.

Even if there is a fee of $150 or $200 what's your time worth? And maybe a PE seat to boot.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: MPCGO
I'd probably start at the transfer desk. Multiple times out of MNL and HKG check in stations, I got accommodated to earlier flights, especially if I arrive at the airport earlier. I think the transfer desk guys have more discretion on the waiving of fees (not sure about this though).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It's surprising at the time of booking there were no HKG-BKK flights for 14 hours. If they were sold out you have to think it's gotten worse vs. better but asking is harmless.
Not what OP said.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Note that if you do go through transit security to ask at the First Class lounge then it is a real faff to get back landside if you fail to get the change and hence want to spend the day in HK. I'd go landside and try the check-in desks first.

Note the additional complications if you have checked bags. I would say get them short checked to HKG on the first flight then go collect them and take them to the check-in desk when trying to rebook. That way they don't have the excuse of having to find and retag bags as a reason for not rebooking you.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:52 am

No the OP said PE which he paid for was not available on HIS flight. He bought 9:30 p.m. in error, seeking 9:30 a.m.. He not not say there were NO flights until 9:30 p.m. Just no PE. Makes more sense to just call and change it now vs. pray for beneficence at the lounge, and he might get dinged the fee anyway. The next best starting point to ask would be at CX check-in at LAX. They can redo it as easily as anyone else.

"I paid for PEY Ticket, but my HKG- to BKK flight is in economy since they did not have any PEY seats on that aircraft"
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My personal point of view.
CX, like many airlines, will be quite inflexible in HKG for basically changing a ticket without imposing the change fee. That is except if there are some "disruptions" on the BKK run. You can always ask but result is uncertain.
I don't know what is the change fee on your ticket. If it were me, I would value 12 hours of my time and would not hesitate to pay a significant change fee to move to a 9:10 or 10:00 flight which are generally operated by an arriving longhaul ac with PE. I don't know how complex is your ticket, but it is not straightforward to move you from Y to PE. My preferred option would be to do the change before you leave LAX. Assuming that you have bags, that would be the best option.
If you don't want to pay the change fee, the second option would be to stop at the transfer desk at the arrival level before going through security to the departure level. If they refuse to change it to an earlier flight for free than I would go in town. I don't think that the F lounge can do better than them. And if you go to departure level to the F lounge and get the same answer, then it is now quite a hassle to go out of the airport. Last time it took me well over an hour.wait at the immigration office (and I am PR).
jerrywu likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 23, 2018 at 4:29 am
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brunos
If you don't want to pay the change fee, the second option would be to stop at the transfer desk at the arrival level before going through security to the departure level. If they refuse to change it to an earlier flight for free than I would go in town. I don't think that the F lounge can do better than them. And if you go to departure level to the F lounge and get the same answer, then it is now quite a hassle to go out of the airport. Last time it took me well over an hour.
This is sensible advice. While HKG is a relatively easy transfer, I wouldn't want to even deal with transit security and getting upstairs to departures level unless I'm going to be staying up there.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:58 pm

If the OP will pay a change fee then he should arrange the change now vs. risk 14 hours in an airport. For $150 or $200 I would leave earlier with a confirmed flight.

If HKG is bearish try in LAX instead. BKK thought this sort of thing made sense maybe LAX will agree.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:09 pm

What date are you flying? Another angle is to see if any flights that day have PEY and asked to be put on that flight as you’re on a PEY class ticket ? Hopefully there’s one before 9:30pm haha
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by bhyq
What date are you flying? Another angle is to see if any flights that day have PEY and asked to be put on that flight as you’re on a PEY class ticket ? Hopefully there’s one before 9:30pm haha
I do this route once or twice a month. There are 8 HKG-BKK daily flights, and most of them are CURRENTLY scheduled with longhaul ac (say 6 out of 8). So that's not the problem. But that segment is currently ticketed as Y. Maybe that is a plain-vanilla CX ticket bought online ticket (e.g.LAX-BKK-LAX) and it would not be too difficult to reinstate PE on that segment. But it will still be liable of the change fee. And asking for a waiver of the change fee, a reticketing to PE and changing checked bags to the new flight will not be trivial. Hence my suggestion 1) Ask at LAX, 2) ask at arrival transfer desk 3) relax and go in the city for ten hours (out of 15).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.