Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does CX record passenger's dissatisfaction or misbehavior on their system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does CX record passenger's dissatisfaction or misbehavior on their system?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Post Does CX record passenger's dissatisfaction or misbehavior on their system?

I flew CX last Dec., Apr. & Oct. During the Dec. & Apr. trip were excellent, being only a Silver. I received upgrades twice during my two return trans-pacific flight, that rarely happens with Silver nowadays. The service was excellent, they volunteering provide me with bottle of water once I discarded my old bottle. You can feel they are going the extra mile. I guess it was due to the head on competition from HK Airlines which started in 03/18. However, for the recent Oct trip........, Let's begin,

I only use my US passport when leaving and entering US. Period. Since like 20+ years ago........ And I use my BN(O) for my trips outside of US(Yes, I still keep my BN(O) and still renew it), except TW/CN. I checked in online for my trip to BKK, first segment(SFO-HKG) using US passport and second segment(HKG-BKK) using BN(O). And at the airport, I printed out my boarding pass and the baggage tag, getting ready to drop off my baggage at the drop-off counter. However, the agent in CX uniform started to do lots of things. Asking for my passport, as expected for verification and I provide both my passports and explained I will use my BN(O) to enter BKK. He refused. He insisted one should use one passport for the whole itinerary, he can use my BN(O) to check in and remove my US passport. He even mentioned I should use US passport since I am an American citizen. I did not speak loudly nor argue but I explained I had done this many times before. He insisted he can't do it, I feel he's more agitated. Anyway, I left it as-is and headed for my vacation. From then on, all my flights(BKK/SIN/HKG) on CX from checking in to on flight were terrible. It seems they(Check-in counter agent/IFA) were very cautious or ignored me and expected me to be upset or agitated. I would even come to say they were rude to me.

Conclusion, am I too sensitive or CX does input passenger 'dissatisfaction' or 'bad behavior' on the itinerary? I couldn't think of any other incident beside this. I hope this will not happen again on my up coming trip.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
The check-in agent probably wasn't well trained to handle this situation. It is possible that the check-in agent annotated something in your itinerary, but I don't know if that is related. Did you try to initiate dialog at other check-ins and they didn't respond at all?
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
OP you are way too overthinking it. You're drawing correlation when there is none. From your other posts, it sounds like you fly a bit but definitely not in the "intense" category of many on here.

Bear in mind, many of us fly CX multiple times a week. Inevitably sometimes we have bad experiences or are in bad moods. And YES Cathay does track passengers (aka your question at the end isn't comprehensivr), but you would have to be flying way way way way more than you do or acting FAR worse to get noticed.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
There's no collusion, in this case anyway.

I bet like me others have no idea what a BN(O) is.
witthuus and kaffir76 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I bet like me others have no idea what a BN(O) is.
British National (Overseas) citizenship
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by windscar
British National (Overseas) citizenship
Technically speaking, BN(O) is a nationality but not a citizenship status.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
OP you are way too overthinking it. You're drawing correlation when there is none. From your other posts, it sounds like you fly a bit but definitely not in the "intense" category of many on here.

Bear in mind, many of us fly CX multiple times a week. Inevitably sometimes we have bad experiences or are in bad moods. And YES Cathay does track passengers (aka your question at the end isn't comprehensivr), but you would have to be flying way way way way more than you do or acting FAR worse to get noticed.
Although I don't know the conversation between OP and the check-in agent, I do agree with you that OP may be thinking too much. Even if the check-in agent annotated on the itinerary, there is nothing OP can do anyway.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC
If you have access to an address in Europe and really want to find out what CX have on you or your previous flights, you could do a data Subject access request.

As a US citizen you don't have this right, but you could ask CX to see if would do it voluntarily (they will have a data subject access request process to handle all the Europeans).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Only ever show one passport to the check in desk otherwise they get confused. Did that once by accident, never again. Why did you need to show the BNO?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by benjai
Only ever show one passport to the check in desk otherwise they get confused. Did that once by accident, never again. Why did you need to show the BNO?
cuz op thinks hes entering bkk with bno i guess? but i think thats tmi- i dont think in SEA they care if you you checkin w the passport you use.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

cuz op thinks hes entering bkk with bno i guess? but i think thats tmi- i dont think in SEA they care if you you checkin w the passport you use.
Do you mean South East Asia when you wrote SEA?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
OP confused gate agent. Only BNO should have been presented.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:40 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I think that they tend to keep notes, not necessarily on bad things, and it is possibly more likely for MPC members.

I noticed when I flew CGK-HKG-LHR the other day in PEY.

On the CGK-HKG leg (it was a short red eye), I asked for a bottle of water when the purser was greeting members, which she later gave me after take off. It must have been noted, because when I received the greeting on the next flight, she looked on the members list, greeted me, looked again at the list, and told me that they will distribute water after takeoff. I was surprised because I hadn't said anything about it. And she only said that to me, as my seat mate who was also greeted was not told about the water.
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by benjai
Last time I flew they proactively asked to see both my passports on both legs. I need to enter my Australian details on flights heading to Oz and the my UK one for the flights back. On the manage my booking page you can actually select each leg and say what travel document you want to use.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc
Last time I flew they proactively asked to see both my passports on both legs. I need to enter my Australian details on flights heading to Oz and the my UK one for the flights back. On the manage my booking page you can actually select each leg and say what travel document you want to use.
Exactly.... that’s what I did during online check-in but at the time for baggage drop off, the agent won’t accept. Like someone mentioned, he may be new and not familiar.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Just to update.... just completed my flight from SFO - SIN. SFO -HKG using US passport and HKG - SIN using BN(O) passport. As usually did it during online check-in and drop off baggage at the airport. No issue with agent and everything proceeded normally. Guess I was too sensitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.