Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Lounge access with Fiji Airways with QF codes

Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

Does any one know if we (GOs/DMs) would get lounge access with QF coded Fiji Airway flights?

It seems that Fiji Airways is joining as a OneWorld Connect member, no lounge access will be provided if we fly with them without a OW connecting flight. However, what will happen if the flights were sold by QF, does that consider as operated by oneworld metal?

It is also mentioned as: The ability for British Airways Executive Club Members to redeem Avios points on Fiji Airways and for Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club members to earn or redeem club points or earn status points on Fiji Airways will be available shortly after 5 December 2018, from a date to be announced in due course by the airlines concerned.
It confused me a bit if CX members can have club points when flying with Fiji airways, however not able to access lounges.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some analysis in the later posts of this BA forum thread--->Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The lounge access for oneworld connect seems quite complicated. But it seems the overall rule is that if you are on a flight where you are ticketed using the flight number that matches your FF program, then you get access. Otherwise you don't.

For example, as a CX member, if you fly on FJ metal, and your ticket is a QF flight number, you won't get lounge access. If you fly on FJ metal, but you bought the CX flight number, then you would get lounge access.

Last edited by sxc; Dec 6, 2018 at 11:38 pm Reason: Removed ambguity about codeshares
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Oh boy - I got a headache reading the lounge access chart!

Seems that Connect is just like a set of bilateral JVs, with just parts of the alliance - in fact possibly inferior to many JVs that are code neutral.

Also, just looked at CX's page (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html - right at the end) - it doesn't mention any requirement for Tabua Club Plus members to be on a FJ code to access the CX lounges in HKG/SIN/BKK when on
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
The lounge access for oneworld connect seems quite complicated. But it seems the overall rule is that if you are on a flight that has a flight number that matches your FF program, then you get access. Otherwise you don't.

For example, as a CX member, if you fly on FJ metal, with a QF flight number, you won't get lounge access. If you fly on FJ metal, with a CX flight number, then you would get lounge access.
More than complicated. Will be a lot of "discussions" at lounge doors.
Need to have be a ticket on the codeshare. Not that there is a CX, QF etc codeshare available.
https://www.oneworld-connect.com/
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Need to have be a ticket on the codeshare. Not that there is a CX, QF etc codeshare available.
Yes that's what I meant. I've edited my post to remove the ambiguity.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This is silly when OW members cant enter lounges of other OW airlines when flying FJ. Whats the purpose of having FJ as a connect member when the same is happening on CX/NZ JV to New Zealand.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Ausriver
It seems that Fiji Airways is joining as a OneWorld Connect member, no lounge access will be provided if we fly with them without a OW connecting flight.
Read the chart at https://www.oneworld-connect.com/ carefully. This is not the case, when flying FJ prime flight, GOs and DMs have access to the FJ lounge at NAN (+1 guest). One does not need to connect to / from a OW flight. Unfortunately, the agreement only covers FJ prime and CX*/FJ, not QF*/FJ.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Read the chart at https://www.oneworld-connect.com/ carefully. This is not the case, when flying FJ prime flight, GOs and DMs have access to the FJ lounge at NAN (+1 guest). One does not need to connect to / from a OW flight. Unfortunately, the agreement only covers FJ prime and CX*/FJ, not QF*/FJ.
After reading the chart (very hard to understand).
CX elites flying FJ coded operated flights ex NAN, has lounge access.
CX elites flying QF coded FJ operated flights ex NAN, no lounge access
CX elites flying FJ operated flights ex SYD, no lounge access.

Sorry but I was thinking of trying to get to the QF F lounge, rather than the NAN one which I already have access from my credit card. Maybe if we could get some information about getting status credit when flying FJ.

https://www.oneworld.com/documents/1...=1544035908000

Last edited by Ausriver; Dec 7, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Earlier this year my wife and I flew HKG-NAN on FJ metal with a CX issued ticket. Were not allowed lounge access to CX in HKG. We did receive MPO miles and status points though. Reason given for no access was that the flight had to be ticketed and operated by CX.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ieuan1
Earlier this year my wife and I flew HKG-NAN on FJ metal with a CX issued ticket. Were not allowed lounge access to CX in HKG. We did receive MPO miles and status points though. Reason given for no access was that the flight had to be ticketed and operated by CX.
FYI, MPO revised the rules a few weeks ago, and access will be granted now in CX-owned lounges as long as the marketing carrier is CX or KA.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Just flew FJ marketed and operated flight out of NAN. Check in agent aware of lounge access, however the system was not able to issue lounge pass.

Lounge lady was not very happy to see us, and told us lounge access only for CX marketed flights. I had to tell her firmly that the current rule is CX elites can access FJ marketed and operated flights at NAN. She then pulled out a very small card to check lounge access... twice and three times to confirm that we do have access.
ernestnywang likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.