Insight into the Waitlist Queue

Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Insight into the Waitlist Queue

I tried to search "queue" under waitlists to see if anyone had any knowledge of how the queue algorithms. Of course, at a high level it's a simple process. Enter your name and wait. Status impacts your position such that if a Silver, Gold, and Diamond waitlist, it doesn't matter when they got in the queue, they will release according to status. If members of equal status queue, then one would think seats get release based on the order they got in the queue. Agreed?

Now, consider members of equal status who both have waitlisted round-trips. Passenger "A" was the first to waitlist, so should be first in the queue ahead of PAX B. But then PAX A needs to revise the details. Would that revision trigger a loss of position in the queue?

I ask because I have a few waitlists. It's complicated but helpful to explain. I'll discuss four waitlists: W, X, Y, and Z. One waitlist (W) is scheduled for the ideal TARGET DEPARTURE, returning TARGET RETURN. The second waitlist (X) is one day AFTER the TARGET DEPARTURE, returning one day BEFORE the TARGET RETURN. I basically covered two consecutive departure dates and two consecutive return dates. All as STANDARD. I figured I could mix and match whatever cleared first.

I hedged with a third one-way waitlist (Y) on TARGET DEPARTURE, but in CHOICE. And a fourth one-way waitlist (Z) on TARGET RETURN minus 2 days in CHOICE. (Yeah, I know, a little obsessive/excessive, but it's an important trip for my son and I).

So the departure for X cleared (leaving the day after my target). Then the departure for Y cleared (target departure in CHOICE). So I have confirmed seats for two departures. Then the return waitlist Z cleared (target return minus 2 in CHOICE). So I have roundtrip now, but it's not on the exact itinerary I want, and they are in overpriced CHOICE, not STANDARD. I'm confident that I'll get better dates and better rates soon. So I want to be patient. I don't yet want to ticket the CHOICE confirmed seats.

I now have no intention of using the confirmed departure seats for X (target departure + 1). I would think common courtesy would be to cancel the departure seats for X, given that I'm not going to use them. But I'm worried that in the bizarre system of CX, if I cancel those seats then the revision of the X waitlist would put me further down in the waitlist queue for the return flight (if competing against someone of the same status).

I'm hesitant to call MPC to ask because I'm afraid they will pester me to issue the tickets for Y and Z (the CHOICE seats). They were one-way waitlists, so I think MPC wants them ticketed. The email confirmations for both say I have a another week or two, but I already got a call from MPC pressuring me to ticket. (I would think if I have an email with a deadline, then pressure from MPC should be irrelevant, no? But that's a topic for another discussion! )

Anyway... anyone have any insight on how changes to waitlists might impact your position in the queue?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I've held confirmed seats on flights that were clearly "alternative trips" before and been told if I did not cancel one of them, they would cancel both of them. I would be more worried about that than your position in the queue!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairhsa
I've held confirmed seats on flights that were clearly "alternative trips" before and been told if I did not cancel one of them, they would cancel both of them. I would be more worried about that than your position in the queue!
Yikes! I haven't been told that yet. Makes sense that they would want to do that.

How long did it take for them to figure it out and present you with the ultimatum?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

The post above spooked me into calling MPC, worried about the "alternative flights". The center was very helpful. I cleaned-up some alternates that had cleared that I was not going to use. But I did keep one. They didn't mention it. Perhaps they didn't notice it. I certainly wasn't going to call attention to it.

And to answer my original question, I was told that altering the other segments did not impact your position in the waitlist for the remaining segments. "First come, first served" was the exact phrase she used.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.