Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flown on a CX B77W (777-300ER) lately? Please post here! 777 Wi-Fi query.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: henryc41
All 777-300ER have been equipped with WiFi.
Print Wikipost

Flown on a CX B77W (777-300ER) lately? Please post here! 777 Wi-Fi query.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
@tentseller So the system informed you that you would not have coverage at certain areas, before you paid? That's pretty good in my opinion!

Edit: Just saw your post about it being on the card.
I am a regular on CX 826/829.
Priority boarding gets me into 39A early. I stow my carry-ons and go to sleep with no dinner note. CX 829 departs at 0120h so I did not hear any of the announcements. So whether the partial availability was announced or not I am not sure.
The full-size card about wifi has rates and instructions on one side and coverage map on the other side.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
No I was wondering if the system informed you before confirming payment or not.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
CX807, ORD --> HKG, 12/26/18, no WiFi.
CX812, HKG --> BOX, 1/4/19, no WiFi.

(Interesting comment above in # 71. The CX807 flight was the polar route, and I would've been really annoyed to pay for the WiFi, but not be able to use it. I wonder if anyone has had this problem and complained to CX about it? At a minimum they should warn you that you won't have service the full time, and ideally they'd give some prorated discount.)
to be fair, they do have a coverage map that pretty explicitly shows over the polar areas it doesn't work.

and it's worth noting, I don't think this is much talked about but CX has a waiver over mainland China to run real uncensored internet. AFAIK, no other carrier has this waiver. So on the final 2-3 hours of many flights coming down over mainland China (particularly, those polar routes), CX will have WiFi whereas a competitor like UA wouldn't I don't think.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
No I was wondering if the system informed you before confirming payment or not.
Nope, but there were fine prints stating that there might be areas of poor or no coverage before paying.
jacobsleather likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by QRC3288
to be fair, they do have a coverage map that pretty explicitly shows over the polar areas it doesn't work.

and it's worth noting, I don't think this is much talked about but CX has a waiver over mainland China to run real uncensored internet. AFAIK, no other carrier has this waiver. So on the final 2-3 hours of many flights coming down over mainland China (particularly, those polar routes), CX will have WiFi whereas a competitor like UA wouldn't I don't think.
I've done AA's HKG flights and there was no geoblock...that being said the CX wifi seems to have much better speeds.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I've done AA's HKG flights and there was no geoblock...that being said the CX wifi seems to have much better speeds.
so much for that excuse then...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
On CX 840 10Jan19 - B-KPQ I think

Still on the ground but no wifi cards so I assume no wifi
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:01 am

I'm currently on CX260 from CDG to HKG

Today's flights operated by B-KPN and the Wifi works well.
​​​​​​
Cards only in some seat pockets but the network appeared around the time the seatbelt sign was switched off. A message on the IFE appeared a further 10 minutes after that.

At first Fast.com and Speedtest.net were reporting around 40-50mbps download. Around Prague there was a 5 minute drop out then it reconnected with slower speeds (different satellite I guess) of 10-15mbps. Finally it dropped out again for around 10 minites when crossing the Russian border. Currently where we are over Russia speeds are a much slower 2-3mbps down.

Upload speeds have ranged between 0.4mbps and 3.5mbps with pings averaging around 700ms.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
CX841 Jan 11 2019 - No WiFi, Old IFE.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
CX882 Jan 12 2019 B-KPC No wifi old IFE
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Current updated Wi-Fi list below for B77Ws

4 Class 77Ws

77A (6/6)
B-KPE
B-KPL
B-KPN
B-KPQ
B-KPR
B-KQG

77H (1/26)
B-KPA

4 Class 77Ws, Total: 7/32

3 Class 77Ws

77G (0/7)
(Nil)

77K (9/13)
B-HNR
B-KQC
B-KQD
B-KQE
B-KQF
B-KQG
B-KQR
B-KQS
B-KQY
B-KQZ

3 Class 77Ws, Total: 9/20

Thanks to everyone for the anecdotes, please keep them coming. The conversions are converting quite rapidly.
skit53 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Does CX prioritize certain routes to utilize equipments with wifi?

And from the list above, it looks like all reconfigured planes (10-abreast) have wifi.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by boybi

And from the list above, it looks like all reconfigured planes (10-abreast) have wifi.
They seems to prioritize certain routes to utilize equipments with 10-abreast lol. For example CX826/CX829 has been assigned with 77K quite consistently where as CX828/CX825 is not as often.

And like you said it seems like all of the 10-abreast planes have wifi.

Therefore, if you want wifi, then you have to pick the routes that has gone 10-abreast 😂
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boybi

No, all reconfigured planes do not have Wi-Fi! Most , but "most" does not equal "all."

While all 77As do, not all 77Ks do. Specifically, 4/13 77K birds - 10 abreast versions of the 77G - do not have WiFi.

Originally Posted by etkuo

And like you said it seems like all of the 10-abreast planes have wifi.

Therefore, if you want wifi, then you have to pick the routes that has gone 10-abreast ��

Haha yikes, just because someone on FT says it does not make it correct! See the link below.

Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide

However, your logic still stands. If you want the best chance of WiFi, then you choose a route being regularly serviced by 77K. Right now you can bank on CX870/879 to/from SFO and CX884/885 (on days serviced as such) as 77K, and have a good likelihood of getting it to/from BOM, DEL, YYZ, LHR (for the 77G/77K frequencies), MEL and SYD.

But, as the facts indicate, you are not guaranteed WiFi since not all 77K birds have WiFi. It leads to an interesting discussion, when those 4 birds will get WiFi installed.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:27 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Do LAX-HKG flights fly over China airspace? I don't think they do?

I don't know about DFW, as I haven't done them before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.