Worn-out and beat-up J seats on CX A350

Old Nov 29, 18, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, Carlson Gld, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, SPG Silver
Worn-out and beat-up J seats on CX A350

We had the experience of flying the CX A350 aircraft with registration "B-LRS" from PER to HKG (7.5 hrs) and then from HKG to EWR (15.5 hrs). Armrest for 14D was non-ops. Latch to storage compartment for 14C was broken. Tray table wouldn't lay flat for any price. Handheld controller cord was fraying, as was the antimacassar. The divider between the two seats was dirty, loose, and on the verge of breaking loose. When we asked CX staff they said since these did not impact aircraft safety or performance they were not seen as a problem. I guess they weren't the ones paying for the trip LOL.

Old Nov 29, 18, 11:25 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, IHG Gold
I've sat in TG J seat that was covered in white dandruffy substance and sides that were so peeled off I could scratch through the surface. Or that one TK flight where everything was broken. These photos seem minor in comparison.
Old Nov 29, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I've flown the 359 between HKG and EWR in J a bunch of times, maybe close to 10 flights now. Although I haven't seen it as bad as you're describing, a few of those trips there's been something wrong. A few times there were problems with my seat where it would get misaligned and not recline or return properly. The seat needed a lot of coaxing to get back on track. Twice there were issues with the reclining arm rest where it was very wobbly and unstable. Also a time where the mechanism that pops up the seat extension was barely attached. I could have just pulled the whole thing off if I wanted to. Each time, I've reported the issues to the ISM just so they can address it some time later. Usually that discussion morphs into ISM revealing that they like the 773 much better due to increased working space for the crew.

It's all anecdotal but I never saw these types of issues on the 773s and the 359s are much newer, seems like the quality is a step down. There have been many threads here in the past about quality issues in the J cabin on the 359. But the 359 is a much quieter experience and the increased pressurization makes the long haul a bit more comfortable. Also, the IFE is superior. It's a shame, getting the new aircraft fitted properly with better quality hardware could have been a good statement to customers by providing an upgraded experience. These flaws just degrade that message.
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
I must be 30-40 sectors on the 350 now across all classes and yes I agree - the zodiac fit out is a disaster (seats and lavs). I hope CX is able to recover compensation.
Old Nov 29, 18, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Honest question: why does any airline still hire Zodiac? Seems like every time we hear about major problems with a premium class seat, Zodiac is the culprit. Just look at AA's 772 issues.
Old Nov 29, 18, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I flew the 350-900 HKG to BKK and the plane was a modern marvel. I think it goes on to SIN so maybe it was more lux and not regional for that reason but it was shiny as a new penny.
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:24 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
I flew the 350-900 HKG to BKK and the plane was a modern marvel. I think it goes on to SIN so maybe it was more lux and not regional for that reason but it was shiny as a new penny.
Same planes; SIN flights aren't any more "lux". The HKG-BKK-SIN flights have been operated by a mix of A350-900 and A350-1000 and CX doesn't operate a sub-fleet for regionals. They all go everywhere, near nad far.

About 2/3 of the A359s have well-documented Zodiac problems. Many of them still have broken mirrors in bathrooms, broken toilets, non-working armrests, peeling finishes, seats that get stuck, screen / controller problems, and other issues. It's virtually all hardware related and almost all due to Zodiac. I rode on B-LXC a few days ago (one of the A350-1000s), and the window shade in 12A was broken, which although small was concerning because I thought the problems would be completely solved before A350-1000 deliveries. Almost certain that your shiny new penny was just dumb luck of the draw. Fly on them just a few more times and you're bound to encounter an issue.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
LRS is a pretty new frame, probably under or near a year old. So the damages do look appalling.

To the OP's point that the crew don't seem to care, it is not that they don't, these would be fixed the next time it is in the hangars for maintenance checks. As long as a frame meets minimum equipment serviceability, it will be certified fit to fly. Seats, unfortunately, are not in this list.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
CX150 BNE - HKG via Cairns 26 Feb 2017.
My mother's seat which she did not complain about.

Old Nov 29, 18, 8:44 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Those taped down arm rests are appalling. I hope you all send them into CX as a complaint - you neither have an arm rest, nor the privacy while sleeping.

The reason they need to tape them down is because the seats are only certified for take off with the arm rests down. So if the tape breaks, it's arguably a safety hazard as well.
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My seat HKG-MEL the cloth armrest was totally torn out from its position. It caused problem for the metal armrest which should be in down position on take off and landing. The FA just pounded the cloth one somewhat back to where the previous "connecting hinge" was, then pounded the metal armrest down to flat position.

I feel it is a design flaw to have the clothed armrest piece which does not seem to serve much of a purpose yet it is very easily damaged because it is very awkward to use.
Old Nov 29, 18, 10:37 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Flew the 359 to and from EWR and SFO in J and 2 of the 4 sectors had either seat issues (loose panels, wood lamination peeling off, etc) and there was even a seat which was blocked off because it was fully non-functional! I was hoping that the initial issues with the 359 seats were due to a rushed installation and would be remedied by now.

I'm set to have a 35K from SIN next week. Let's see how that pans out.
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:26 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by mbamejia View Post
Flew the 359 to and from EWR and SFO in J and 2 of the 4 sectors had either seat issues (loose panels, wood lamination peeling off, etc) and there was even a seat which was blocked off because it was fully non-functional! I was hoping that the initial issues with the 359 seats were due to a rushed installation and would be remedied by now.

I'm set to have a 35K from SIN next week. Let's see how that pans out.
I only have one 35K ride so far. And I only sat in 12A, so I didn't get very far down the frame. But two issues were already present:
1.) My window shade was broken - coulnd't stay up, unless you wedged it sideways ("sideways" being an unnatural position for it...something was broken inside the back of the wall)
2.) Seat 11G was fully non-functional and roped off.
Old Nov 30, 18, 10:01 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Flying HKG-SFO on one of these birds in J next week; Iíll report any issues!
Old Nov 30, 18, 2:40 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK, Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
SFO-HKG on CX893 11/23 - IFE remote did not work, had to touch the screen, USB port had no power, and the usual cracked glass in the bathroom. Great plane, poor quality fittings and fixtures.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: