Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

45 CP short of DM - ex-SIN CP run ideas?

Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold

Hello!

Title says it all, really: I am a SIN-based current CX DM and the CP tally as of today is 1,145. I will do a o/w AA LGA-MSP in Y on 22 Dec that will give me another 10 CP, other than that I currently have no plans to fly CX or any other OW airline until the end of the year, which is when my membership year ends.

Any ideas on what the best mileage run would be to get me over the edge? Ideally doable within a day or two. Can also be a one-way.

I am going to NZ on NZ in a week, but don't have any need to go to AUS, so cannot nest anything there. Also have to go to CAN and PEK in 2 weeks, but would prefer to fly SQ as the flights on CX are both very inconvenient in terms of timing AND they are more expensive, too. MH doesn't seem to give me any options in J on a multi trip itinerary SIN-CAN/PEK-SIN.

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions!

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Nov 26, 2018 at 12:43 am Reason: Correct current number of CP
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I guess that there’s a typo in the title and you’re looking for 145 CPs

MH probably.. there’s a Whatsapp group of folks around the region looking at mileage runs- most bank to QF/MH/BA, but useful for looking at MH fares- if you could PM me your phone no, I’ll ask the admin on there to add.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
1045 should be enough to renew DM ... I know a few people (including myself) have DM renewed in the last 12 months with 10xx CP.

Consider SIN-KUL-xxx on MH business class, xxx being a domestic Malaysian destination such as Penang / Kota Kinabalu / Langkawi. Might involve an overnight stay but you should be able to do all 4 flights in 2 days.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:31 pm

You could try MH C to Bangkok. 2 flights either way at 40TPs each, so 160tps total
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
QF is doing a sale exSIN to Australia....
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful advice - very kind of you!

A couple of comments:

1. My current CP tally stands at 1,145 and will be 1,155 CLP after the LGA-MSP flight. The earlier figure was a typo, sorry about that!
2. I will be in the US starting on 20 Dec, so unfortunately will not be able to take advantage of the - indeed very attractive - QF offer.

Psychiatrist, I have also read about this having happened to a few DMs of late. However, it is a risky strategy to take nonetheless. Were you / they renewed before the end of their membership years, or only after? I would hate to miss out by only a few CP...

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Nov 26, 2018 at 1:37 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Hi all,

A couple of comments:

1. My current CP tally stands at 1,145 and will be 1,155 CLP after the LGA-MSP flight. The earlier figure was a typo, sorry about that!
2. I will be in the US starting on 20 Dec, so unfortunately will not be able to take advantage of the - indeed very attractive - QF offer.

Psychiatrist, I have also read about this having happened to a few DMs of late. However, it is a risky strategy to take nonetheless. We you / they renewed before the end of their membership years, or only after? I would hate to miss out by only a few CP...
Not my own experience but I did saw someone got oneWorld flight afterwards and call CX for extending his diamond status. He success.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
If you really only need 45, I would go for a quick return to BKK on Cathay in J or as others have suggested a return to KL on MH (again in J). Both of which could be done as a day trip. Might not be exactly 45, but if you get to 40 they will almost certainly pass you.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Hi all,

A couple of comments:

Psychiatrist, I have also read about this having happened to a few DMs of late. However, it is a risky strategy to take nonetheless. Were you / they renewed before the end of their membership years, or only after? I would hate to miss out by only a few CP...
Oh, if you're at 1155 then you're (90%) guaranteed to get renewed without doing anything. I would even say that you've "wasted" 100 CP which could be credited to your next membership year. I've never renewed DM with anything more than 10xx CP - same with my DM friends.

They won't renew you early though - you need to wait until after the membership year expires. In all of the cases the DM was renewed automatically without needing to call.

If that fails (which is very unlikely), you will drop down to Gold. If that happens, you can call MPC and ask for a 2 or 3 month extension, so that you can make up the 45 CP - and after you finish those flights, you call MPC and get them to reinstate your DM.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:02 am

They will definitely renew your DM automatically at 1155 points, I’ve got renewed at 9xx and 10xx points.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Alright, guys, I will heed the collected wisdom and sit it out!

In the worst case, as Psychiatrist has pointed out, there is always the fall-back option to ask for an extension in January.

Thank you very much again for everyone's helpful advice!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:05 am

Alright, guys, I will heed the collected wisdom and sit it out!

In the worst case, as Psychiatrist has pointed out, there is always the fall-back option to ask for an extension in January.

Thank you very much again for everyone's helpful advice!
Please update us on your result!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:15 am

posted twice accidentally
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marco Polo club
Just ring MCP hotline, they will surely offer you a grace period for at least 1 month, cheers to future DM!

Adrian
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Just as an update: I decided to just wait and see and was positively surprised to find out that my DM status was renewed although I was 55 CP short for the year. Thank you, CX! ^
jacobsleather and Sozee like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.